Dammit. Never thought this day would come.

Kuz929

• Members

I have Gibson Les Paul GAS :cry:

Been messing around with a ton of different pauls lately and I'm really liking some of them, but 'meh' on others. Certain ones just sing.

I got to borrow a friend's early 90s standard tonight for a little open jam they hold here in town every monday night... and sure enough, I actually liked it. Yea, I know early 90s are considered some golden years, which is probably why I liked it so much.

But now I want one :facepalm: and they cost so. friggin. much. :mad:

TLDR: post some pictures of les pauls so I can drool a bit :wave:

2011LesPaulEricClaptonECBeanoVOSElectric

• Members

Not that I am purposely attempting to put a nnegative spin on your GAS but consider you could get a guitar that sounds the same, is more comfortable, better balanced with superior upper fret access for a lot less money. I love the sound of a Les Paul but really can't see the point, other than wanting the name on the headstock.

• Members

Not that I am purposely attempting to put a nnegative spin on your GAS but consider you could get a guitar that sounds the same, is more comfortable, better balanced with superior upper fret access for a lot less money. I love the sound of a Les Paul but really can't see the point, other than wanting the name on the headstock.

I've played a few Michael Kelly Patriot models in stores (Vintage, Custom, Decree) that were very, very nice.

• Members

My advice is if you want a LP, look for a used Tribute that you can probably land for $550-600.00 - heck, even the new ones go for $849-899. Or, the Specials are going for $749-799 new, depending on satin or gloss finish.

Say what you will about Gibson, but the current low-end non-Melody Maker MIAs are a great value.

• Members

Here's the worst part.... I work for a shop, so I can get LPs at cost :facepalm:

Appreciate the suggestions, but yea, I kinda do want to pay for the headstock. Like the studios, but I really want the neck and body binding. Looks like it's time to start up another piggy bank

and that LP in my OP - that's the Eric Clapton Beano LP... its like 7k :lol:

• Members

I've had them from the 90s and they were no better/worse than the ones that I have had from 00s (or however we are supposed to refer to that decade).

That would be the "naughts" or the double-aughts, or the time when all the computers were supposed crash and doom us all but didn't.

Anyway, I've played lp's from the 70's through the 00's, and couldn't say one was better due to the year. My '81 is supposed to be just horrible due to the "norlin years" however I like it, a lot.

• Members

I like that double-aught thing. I have heard many people say that about the early 90s though so it is a rumour that does have people keeping it fueled.

The Norlins still carry a bad reputation for the volute (a good thing) and the pancake bodies (a bad thing) but the pancake bodies were not every Norlin era guitar nor were the volutes. It is nutty how the Norlin era gets pegged like that for no real reason. Maple necks were another thing that they took heat for I believe.

• Members

The Norlins still carry a bad reputation for the volute (a good thing) and the pancake bodies (a bad thing) but the pancake bodies were not every Norlin era guitar nor were the volutes. It is nutty how the Norlin era gets pegged like that for no real reason. Maple necks were another thing that they took heat for I believe.

Mine's an '81, got the volute, no pancake body. Not sure of the number of pieces, I know the top is 3 as you can see them. I'm not sure if the neck is maple of not, you can see in this pic that is definitely light colored. Sort of funny that they would take heat for having a maple neck, like that's a bad thing.

Raven: that is a GREAT looking JB les paul. If I was made of money, it would be mine!

lpc_03.jpg

• Members

Dont think ill be without an LP from here on out. Think for my big 40 coming up in just under two years im going to forgo all the big party nonsense and all gifts and have a LP built from the custom shop....the wife said she would even get me another harley but i think at this point id rather have the Lester and another new amp.

• Members

You (Kuz) are a well-regarded player with a following. You deserve the extravagance--if that is what it is--of owning a real Les Paul.

Dude, thats exactly what it is. the extravagance. being up there with a 'Paul is just so friggin' rock n' roll :rawk:

• Members

Everyone needs a les paul.
:)

Here's mine, I've owned it for 31 years and it has never let me down.

lp_01.jpg

:love: LOVE that paul!

You should come down to the shop sometime and try out some of the ridiculous pauls we have there

• Members

:love:
LOVE that paul!

You should come down to the shop sometime and try out some of the ridiculous pauls we have there

Love to man... actually that '62 strat almost got me to do it too. But I know I can't afford any of those incredible ax's you have down there so I don't even think about it. Just don't want to torture myself man, lol.

Archived