Zenon Electric guitar

fuzztone

• Members

I found this at a local store today. I don't know if it is called a Zen-on or Zenon. Looks like it was made by Teisco but the pickups are copies of the Kay Kleenex box and the neck is huge. It came with original case,strap and cord.It's the same guitar as the one in the video at the bottom.

DSCF3558.jpg

DSCF3559.jpg

DSCF3570-1.jpg

DSCF3562.jpg

DSCF3576.jpg

DSCF3572-1-1-1.jpgDSCF3579-1-1-1.jpg

[video=youtube;_SJWsf2hB-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJWsf2hB-A

• Members

Elvis Costello plays one in his DVD that was filmed in Memphis. I bet there are clips on youtube.

Ooohh,I'd like to see that! Thanks! Someone told me that they were made by Guyatone between 1963 and 1965. Here is another Zenon.It has been modified:

il_570xN.124782099.jpg

il_fullxfull.124782160.jpg

il_fullxfull.124782422.jpg

il_570xN.124782701.jpg

• Members

That is exactly my first electric. Sounded pretty good actually, but was kind of hard to play. I had it for many years until I traded it for something.

Cool! Do you have any pictures of yours

I found out from Vintaxe that Zen-On guitars were made by Guyatone between 1963-1965.

ZEN-ON%20GUITAR%20UKULELE_0004.jpg

• Members

Actually,I am not sure about the history of Zen-On guitars. I had gotten this info from Vintaxe Forum

Guyatone:

Exclusive: Capri, Crown, GUYATONE, Guya, Fandel, Imperial, Saturn

Contract Manufacturing for: Apollo, Audition, Decca, Domino, Futurama, Hondo, Kent, Kingston, Ibanez, Orpheum, Silvertone, Suzuki

Sales Brands: Barclay, Beltone, Broadway, Capri, Crestwood, Elko, Feather, G. Rossi, Howard, Hi-Lo, Ideal, Johnny Guitar, Kimberly, Lafayette, Lindell, Maier, Marco Polo, Marquis, Maximus, Melodies, Montclair, Omega, Orpheus, Prestige, Recco, Royalist, St George, Silhouette, Sorrento, Toledo, Vernon, Victoria, Zen-On, Zenta

But according to this website Zenon (link) Zenon was a small manufacturer who made both electric and acoustic guitars.They were bought by acoustic guitar maker Hayashi in 1968.

I read somewhere else that Guyatone made Zen-On guitars from 1963-1965 so maybe it was made or distributed by Guyatone I have also seen Zenons that were possibly made by Teisco like this one (Link) maybe Teisco made the ones withe the gold foil pick-ups?

Here are some other Zenon guitars(photo from King Of Kays)

zenons.jpg

1965 Zen-On and Conrad guitar(not mine)

IMGP3561.jpg

This is Elvis's Futurama: Hey,you really can sing into these pick-ups!

122327d1333480527-awesome-gift-tiesco-ze

Archived