Back When Joe Bonamassa Played Fenders Exclusively

bluesguitar65

• Members

He's trying to be Robben Ford in this video but does not leave any space either in between the notes (probably learned that from SRV) or for Ford to play.

When Robben finally gets a chance Joe plays all over him while Robben gently tries to give him a lesson in phrasing.

Joe's bits sound like a bunch of senseless wanking to me.

SRV was one of the very few who could play without stopping for a breath and still say something with it but he spawned a whole generation of wankers - sort of like the watered down versions of EVH we all had to tolerate in the 80s.

• Members

Chops notwithstanding, I did not enjoy Bonamossa's playing there. I've heard better stuff from him, so I'll chalk it up to him being younger and full of chops, probably wanting to prove himself more than is necessary.

The best thing a guitarist can do when they are in the same room as Robben Ford is listen.

Here's the real deal...

[video=youtube;uHoK2TcyTQs]

Notice how he stays out of everybody's way for the first five minutes then builds his solo up from "real soft" with lots of space to frenzied riffs with lots of space - the space being key to the notes standing out and actually meaning something rather than just being a display of chops.

• Members

Jeez, I don't think Joe sounds ANYTHING like SRV on this clip. No BIG bends , no wide expressive vibrato, no dynamics, no space. He never strays from the bridge pickup, whereas SRV, did a lot of stuff on his neck pickup. I'm a huge fan of Joe's current Les Paul tones. The SRV avalanche of imitators ( some great, Scott Henderson, most lame) to me, overexposed that style and tone of Blues/Rock guitar.That being said, I don't get an SRV Strat vibe here. Just a non-stop barrage of riffs. Joe gets a lot of tones out of his Les Paul via pickup, and volume and tone knob manipulation. My least favorite bits of Joe's are the Eric Johnson speedy stuff. Technically brilliant, but lacking musicality and most importantly, originality. When Joe takes his time, he's immensely satisfying. A fellow player and I were talking about the huge amount of guys on You Tube with INCREDIBLE chops. Mind-blowing really. Trouble is, most of them are inter-changeable. Call me a geezer but, Clapton, Beck, Page, Green, Kossoff and Taylor, each played Les Pauls thru Marshalls or something similar and each guy was instantly recognizable. Jimi's Strat was from another universe. They all had their own voice and had something to SAY. Joe's latest CD has him slowing down a bit which might lose the chops fans but should lead a more individual, personal style of music. Listening to this clip, I was embarrassed for Joe. Really, just a green kid with great chops saying nothing. He has grown immensely over the years and I think the best is yet to come.

• Members

Be awesome if you guys putting Joe B's playing down would post some clips of you when you were 16 a)playing as well as he is in the OP, and b)playing with Robben Ford.

Barring that, post some clips of your playing NOW that's better then Joe when he was 16.

I'll check back here later, can't wait to watch/hear 'em.

• Members

he sounds way better on a Fender

I find his perfectly crafted Blooze tone unlistenable these days.

he was like SRV if SRV practiced.

Stevie played 8-10 hrs a night, 6 nights a week for 10 years in every bar, joint, and club in Austin, TX before he got famous.

He didn't have time to practice.

• Members

Be awesome if you guys putting Joe B's playing down would post some clips of you when you were 16 a)playing as well as he is in the OP, and b)playing with Robben Ford.

Barring that, post some clips of your playing NOW that's better then Joe when he was 16.

Yea what he said. And I love his Les Paul tone with the marshalls the best.

• Members

We really don't have to do that.

As a listener I would rather hear someone who edits there playing more than Joe did in that video.

I am not impressed by gymnastics on the guitar.

As one of my mentors Herbie Hancock said...

The value of music is not dazzling yourself and others with technique.The value of music is to be able to play one note at the right time in the right way.

• Members

We really don't have to do that.

As a listener I would rather hear someone who edits there playing more than Joe did in that video.

He was 16 in that video.

I will admit that he overplayed a bit, however he was 16.

At 16 he could mop the floor with most every player on this forum, overplaying or not.

And imo, he's become a steller player today.

• Members

He was 16 in that video.

Am I supposed to like it then?

I will admit that
he overplayed a bit
, however he was 16.

Yes he did - that's why I don't like it.

At 16 he could mop the floor with most every player on this forum, overplaying or not.

I don't care how good a janitor he is and isn't wiping up the floor with other players a Blackmore thing?

And imo, he's become a steller player today.

Perhaps he is - I still don't like what I heard in the OP nor do I feel the need to prove myself as a player as a result.

As a listener, there are some things I like and some things I don't like.

Archived