Back When Joe Bonamassa Played Fenders Exclusively

bluesguitar65

• Members

What are you 10?

No one is claiming nor needs to prove superiority to someone to evaluate the playing. It's all about what you hear. Age is also a bull{censored} factor. Gary Moore was much older when he decided to dedicate himself to blue-based endeavors and I feel the same way about him. Obviously great ability, but the playing doesn't interest me at all. As a rock player Moore stands out as among the best. As a blues player he's the epitome of the 80s rock guy blues playing stereo type.

My big issue with Joe is that I haven't heard bring anything distinct to the table. There are tons of guys that churn out tons of blues-based stuff that have unique or relatively unique voices and I find Joe lacking in that area. Well, maybe not, because if I hear someone that sounds like Eric Johnson, but clearly isn't Eric Johnson...Joe's who I assume it is. Unlike knowing within a few notes that it's McLaughlin, Beck, Morse, Zappa, Lifeson, Trucks, etc.

• Members

Lots of chops, but still immature non-stop wankery. He needed to learn that less is more. Less notes, and less donuts. Love the vintage acid-washed jeans! The early 90's still had a hang-over from the 80s.

I love Joes playing today. Much more tasty, soulful phrasing. He still throws some super fast shreddy stuff in his solos on occasion though. He needs to grow out of that {censored}. Alternate picking excersises at warp speed do not = music.

• Members

Little Joe was Killing it! I much prefer Fenders by any player. They let a players True Identity shine through. Gibsons kind of make them all sound the same somehow. Its the Over doing of the crunchy distortion. I much prefered Gary Moore when he stepped back and played a strat as well. Yngwie and Eric Johnson both knew the secret of Fenders as well. Not putting down all Gibsons and players by any means. But you really have to be restrained when playing one. Tonewise.

• Members

This is thee very moment is where he peaked! I too hate the wankering of a bunch of meaningless notes but this was done with a melodic genius style that even I can overlook...

That was excellent. Joe really has come a long way since his teens. IMO he always had tone and chops. I like his tone on sc pups and humbuckers. Now, I think he has a much better sense of the spaces between the notes.

I often hear the argument that technically skilled players have no 'soul' or some such nonsense. To me, if you can make the audience feel something, that IS soul. Joe might get a lot of criticism on guitar forums, but if you observe how the average non-musician reacts to his playing, he seems to move them. He connects with an audience in a big way and that's what really counts in the end.

• Members

I often hear the argument that technically skilled players have no 'soul' or some such nonsense. To me, if you can make the audience feel something, that IS soul. Joe might get a lot of criticism on guitar forums, but if you observe how the average non-musician reacts to his playing, he seems to move them.
He connects with an audience in a big way and that's what really counts in the end.

I agree.

That is what it is all about and a certain level of technical ability is required for that to be able to happen.

I think that as musicians are learning their trade, they admire the technical abilities of their mentors and they strive to achieve a similar skill level. All too often we get so focused on the skills that we sometimes forget that the technique is a means to an end and not the end in itself.

Some times young players want to show off their newly acquired skills because they are still in that technical mindset. As players mature and feel comfortable with their skills the focus moves more to the music itself and the emotional impact it can have on the listener.

We would not be able to convey that emotion if we could not play our instruments.

Archived