NGD - Charming 60s Japanese Kitch

Ol' Tree Frog

• Members

I used to have a circa 1970 MIJ guitar that I miss to this day. Similar looking trem bridge where the spring would fall out if/when I ever pulled up. And it had 4 pickups each with an individual slider switch. The only name on it was Prestige. I think possibly it might have been an Ibanez product. But yeah, it was definitely "kitschy". Which is the only reason I miss it.

Congrats on yours :thu:

(hey, I used to live in Istanbul - '66 & '67 - dad was USAF)

• Members

I used to have a circa 1970 MIJ guitar that I miss to this day. Similar looking trem bridge where the spring would fall out if/when I ever pulled up. And it had 4 pickups each with an individual slider switch. The only name on it was
Prestige
. I think possibly it might have been an Ibanez product. But yeah, it was definitely "kitschy". Which is the only reason I miss it.

Congrats on yours
:thu:

(hey, I used to live in Istanbul - '66 & '67 - dad was USAF)

That Prestige sounds like a really cool guitar. I didn't really appreciate the Japanese guitars I struggled with in the early 70s. Funny how I like their, er, unique styling now.

Have you been back to Istanbul? If you haven't been back for a while, you'd be shocked. Just in the thirteen years since I first saw set foot in this town, so much has changed.

• Members

That Prestige sounds like a really cool guitar. I didn't really appreciate the Japanese guitars I struggled with in the early 70s. Funny how I like their, er, unique styling now.

Have you been back to Istanbul? If you haven't been back for a while, you'd be shocked. Just in the thirteen years since I first saw set foot in this town, so much has changed.

No, I haven't been back since I left in '67 at the age of 10. I remember meeting a Turk in a bar here in WA State back in the early 90s and he said I wouldn't recognize the place at that point. But there's so many landmarks that of course would be a deja vu' rush, but I find deja vu just depresses me anyway. Too much reminder of too much gone by. So although part of me would like to see my old home of 2 years again, I think that when I eventually do get back to travel, it will have to be to countries I've missed.

I can't remember how to describe where I lived, but it was in a hi-rise apartment building. During our stay there, they built a police academy right next to it. But I'd like to see Domabace and the covered bazaar again.

Archived