Screw the haters, I like my Mastery Bridge a lot.

honeyiscool

• Members

I have a few electrics right now. Of all my guitars, though, my tiny 6 pound basswood shortscale Mustang gets the loudest and the best unplugged tone of all of them and gets awesome sustain, too. And two of my other guitars are semi-hollowbody, but none of them get unplugged volume like my Mustang. I have no clue if the Mastery Bridge has anything to do with it but I do know that I had some minor issues with the guitar with the stock bridge and have none now.

So yeah, they're worth the money. My only wish is that they made a Tune-O-Matic, too. I get sick of Tune-O-Matics and their built-in radii and overall crapola quality. I use the aluminu GraphTech Tune-O-Matic bridges and they're pretty good but I'd spend $150 for a Mastery Tune-O-Matic.

• Members
That tele bridge is pretty cool looking, but frankly I've never had a lick of trouble with the bridges on either of my teles, so I guess I'm not sure why I'd necessarily need to upgrade.

I think the Tele bridge only really makes sense if you want to Bigsby it. I have a 3-saddle compensated Wilkinson bridge on my Tele Thinline and it is a wonderful bridge.

• Members

The only bridge upgrade I've ever done is to replace stock tune-o-matic saddles with Graphtec ones. My Faded LP was breaking strings, and the Graphtecs made the problem go away. I suppose that if I had a guitar and the bridge broke, I'd possibly be interested in something fancy. I do have a Jazzmaster, but it's the Classic Player with a tune-o-matic bridge. I guess a Mastery wouldn't fit my guitar anyway.

• Members

The only bridge upgrade I've ever done is to replace stock tune-o-matic saddles with Graphtec ones. My Faded LP was breaking strings, and the Graphtecs made the problem go away. I suppose that if I had a guitar and the bridge broke, I'd possibly be interested in something fancy. I do have a Jazzmaster, but it's the Classic Player with a tune-o-matic bridge. I guess a Mastery wouldn't fit my guitar anyway.

I did a write-up about upgrading the bridge on a Tune-O-Matic equipped offset here:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45554

It worked great, btw. Like you, I use GraphTech most of the time on my Tune-O-Matic equipped guitars. Those saddles are great.

• Members

Ah. Tune-O-Matics are also usually made from pot metal and usually rattle badly too and usually move on the posts when combined with a tremolo tailpiece. In my perfect world, everything would be Tele bridges.

Ric bridges rattle less than Gibson because they don't have the retainer wire. they also have much further travel. if/when there's rattle, it comes from the post springs. my hope for the Mastery is that by locking the posts down, it removes the rattle, and the need to adjust the posts with every string change.

• Members

Good luck with that. Have you tried Mastery before? Before I did, I always thought it was a bit of snake oil but ever since I've started getting higher end bridges for my guitars, I've started to notice just how poor some of the stock hardware is on pretty well regarded manufacturers. Fender's about the only company that did it right, but they started cutting corners early on, too.

• Members

Good luck with that. Have you tried Mastery before? Before I did, I always thought it was a bit of snake oil but ever since I've started getting higher end bridges for my guitars, I've started to notice just how poor some of the stock hardware is on pretty well regarded manufacturers. Fender's about the only company that did it right, but they started cutting corners early on, too.

part of the reason i don't own a Gibson is because when i was in the market for one, the models i liked didn't have the Nashville bridge, which i feel is an upgrade. they felt historical accuracy was more important, and i'm not really one of those people. i ended up with a PRS with excellent hardware. it's important to me and i have no problem upgrading if i feel it's an actual upgrade. so while i won't be the earliest adopter, i will pay attention to those early reviews and decide from there.

• Members

Pretty sure I'm the only Mastery hater - everybody else seems to love them! Not to say they aren't nice pieces of equipment, but I tend to think of them as a solution without a problem and, therefore, way overpriced. Jag/JM/Mustang-style rocking bridges can be made to work beautifully with minimal effort, and in my opinion, they're the heart of the legendarily smooth offset tremolo systems. All it takes is a little know-how.

• Members

Pretty sure I'm the only Mastery hater - everybody else seems to love them! Not to say they aren't nice pieces of equipment, but I tend to think of them as a solution without a problem and, therefore, way overpriced. Jag/JM/Mustang-style rocking bridges can be made to work beautifully with minimal effort, and in my opinion, they're the heart of the legendarily smooth offset tremolo systems. All it takes is a little know-how.

There's a lot of hating on the forums for them. Most of it involves people who have never tried them, though, so there's that. When people say they used it and didn't like it because of specific reasons, then I pay more attention to their concerns.

Honestly, there's nothing inherently flawed about a Mustang bridge. It works great. I do wish, though, that it didn't rock back and forth. I think it's an unnecessary axis of movement.

• Members

Yeah but acoustic saddles usually have a 4+2 design. These have a 3+3 design. It's a point of weakness, I suppose.

I did a write-up about upgrading the bridge on a Tune-O-Matic equipped offset here:

It worked great, btw. Like you, I use GraphTech most of the time on my Tune-O-Matic equipped guitars. Those saddles are great.

Nice! I'll check that out.

• Members

Iv'e got 3 aftermarket bridges:

On a parts tele, not very expensive, decent piece of equipment

wicotebrgowi.jpg&maxx=225&maxy=175

This replaced the tunomatic on a Bigsby equiped Epi Explorer.

Dirt cheap but it works fine

rollerbridge.jpg.w300h2731.jpg

And this piece of artistry and engineering excellence on my 5120.

If you got a floating bridge and a Bigsby, its required equipment in my opinion

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdyuYlwOnz1-_SdD1NQq-

Archived