"Warm but clear" or "clear but warm"

honeyiscool

• Members

I dunno, it's pretty apt. A lot of 'warm' pickups are a bit shy on clarity and individual note definition, but I can roll the tone down to about 4 or so with some light gain on my LP with my current favorite PAFs and it gets warm, smooth, and growly, but the notes don't collapse into one another. It's a lovely quality. A lot of HBs, when you start trying that, turn into fuzzy mud.

• Members

Just like guitars, people can only judge how "good" a pickup is based how many pickups they've played.

People will hear a description of what original PAFs sound like, such as "warm but clear" and say..."well my pickups sound warm and clear".

I thought my humbuckers in my Epiphone special II sounded pretty good when I first got it. Then I got my orville which has a 57 classic PAF and a SD Alnico Pro II and I realized how much the pickups in my Epiphone really sucked.

Well the pickups in my orville were my "base line" for comparison....until I got my Greco Les Paul. The greco pickup clarity of note definition under heavy distortion puts the 57 and the Alnico to shame.....and that's saying a lot. And yeah...they're warm. Nothing I've played has topped them yet.

But the simple fact is, there are a lot of really nice pickups out there that are "warm but clear". I mean that is the goal these companies have.

It's also a big reason why I personally don't put much stock in an individual forum testimonial about a set of pickups. I don't know the persons history with pickups...maybe the best thing they've played is a set of epiphones, and then they want to convince me brand X are the "best ever"?

Although if people are constantly singing the praises of a pickup....like the original PAFs.....and there are virtually never any bad reviews....well...I think it's safe to say they are probably pretty nice.

You can't REALLY know which ones are the most "warm but clear" until you try them.

• Members

Sound pretty accurate actually.

I would describe the dimarzio paf in the neck of my les paul as warm, clear and strong, not muddy. I think people who have a lot of exoerience with various humbuckers would understand what that means.

Archived