The Robin Trower Appreciation Thread.

Doctor Morbius

• Members

Trower is/was an amazing heavy blues stylist with an utterly distinctive sound. I never saw him in his heyday, but I've caught him twice at the House O' Blues here in H-Town in the past few years. Totally worth it! If you get a chance, go see him; he's old, but he can still tear it the {censored} up. His vocalist Davy Pattinson does a great job as well.

Some of my favorites:

"I Can't Wait Much Longer" (live) with the amazing James Dewar on vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3iCw4fcAM

"Hannah"

"Secret Place"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcxx5k-GHBc

As you can probably tell, I dig the brooding, sometimes sinister sound he excels at.

Robin Trower is a Boss!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fretmonster

View Post

Seen him a couple of times in the past fifteen years and he and his band were fabulous. The record Bridge of Sighs would have to be included in my top twenty rock albums all-time.

Geoff Emerick also deserves some credit for the great sounding "Bridge of Sighs."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gdsmithtx View Post
...with the amazing James Dewar on vocals...

As much as I like Trower's guitar work, James Dewar's vocals are what really made their music so great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blazingblake View Post
Hes a awesome guitar player his song writing isn't the greatest thats why he wasn't huge.
Some of my favorite Trower tunes are the ones written with Keith Reid. Having a lyricist like Reid working with you really helps.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by El Glom-o View Post
As much as I like Trower's guitar work, James Dewar's vocals are what really made their music so great for me..
He's one of the greatest, most underrated/overlooked vocalists in rock history. On the soulful, bluesy side of the register, he is a close second only to Paul Rodgers in my opinion. What a loss, and what a tragedy that he almost unknown these days.

• Members

Another Trower fan here. I saw in the early 80's at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia. I still remember the ads that ran on the rock radio stations in the days before the concert with a deep gravel voiced announcer saying: "The power of Trower is at the Tower..." It was an awesome show. I also saw him in Sacramento in the 90's. Great player with chops, tone, and feel.

• Members

he's amazing!

his ugly to greatness factor is 1:1

I used to have his video on guitar playing where he played through a marshall and fender head at the same time. That blew my mind back then!

I think he and Johnny Winter (another 1:1) are the greatest white guy bluesrockers.

• Members

"Bridge of Sighs" had a big influence on me and my guitar sound. As a result, I played a strat through one of these into a Fender Twin for about fifteen years.

Ibanez_AD220_Flanger___Delay.jpg

It really fattened up the guitar sound because, with the input and output level controls I could use it as a booster (strats needed a bit of help with Fender amps in those days) and the modulated delay effects were really sweet too.

Archived