Bridge pickup for beefing up a thin sounding guitar

Mind Riot

• Members

A friend of mine has a baritone electric that he's not satisfied with sound wise. It's currently loaded with EMG 81's. The sound is somewhat thin; the guitar was made with some very dense and hard woods.

We need this thing to keep up playing hard rock and metal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! wave.gif

• Members

I have a baritone with a Lollar Firebird in the bridge position. It sounds huge, not thin at all. I don't play metal with it, but hard rock is not a problem. Granted, when I want higher gain, I play it (and anything else) through a "hot rodded plexi" type amp that is a BEAST. I let the amp do all the work. I can easily get metal tones with PAF style buckers through it. I like the Firebird because it retains some clarity I can't get with traditional humbuckers.

That being said, if I wanted a "metal" guitar, I would probably get a hellarails or hellabucker from BG Pups.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
If he wants to keep with emg's, the simple choice is to go with 85's, in particular, in the bridge.
+1

Seeing as how EMGs are solderless, this is a really simple mod to make, just unplug the 81, plug in the 85 and youre good to go

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vablows View Post
I have never heard of a dense wood guitar (I am assuming it is mahogany or maple) with an EMG 81 in the bridge that sounds thin.
I think the amp is the culprit here, not the pickup.

What amp are you using?
Mahogany is not a dense wood. This guitar is made out of mostly jatoba with a hickory back, and padauk fretboard. Jatoba is one of the hardest, heaviest, and densest woods in the world.

This is not my guitar we're discussing, I wouldn't make a guitar out of those woods. I predicted to my friend that it may end up sounding too bright and brittle, but it wasn't my build. I helped on it, I did all the neck shaping and fret and nut work, but it's not my guitar.

At the moment I believe all my friend has as an amp is a Line 6 Spider IV.

But this is all kind of moot, as after I made this thread my friend decided he's going to sell the guitar in question. Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and help. wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IbanezJon View Post
I am not a huge fan of it but sounds like this is what a Tone Zone is for?
Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever uttered the words, "This Tone Zone sounds a bit thin." icon_lol.gif

Whether it's the kind of thickness/sound he wants is another matter, but the TZ is definitely a good one for fattening up a thinner sounding guitar. That said, maybe the thing is beyond saving. Acoustically speaking, is it that there's some lows and mids 'n' whatnot, but just too much treble on top of it all? Or is it more that it's pretty much just all treble and there's no body in the sound? If it's just the former, I imagine it's quite manageable. If it's the latter... freak.gif

• Members

If he wants to keep with emg's, the simple choice is to go with 85's, in particular, in the bridge.

That would also be my first recommendation. The 85 uses an Alnico V magnet and it produces a warmer rounder tone. The 81 uses a ceramic magnet and it's a more cutting and crunchy sounding pickup.

If you want to go with passive pickups, then I'd also suggest the Tone Zone.

Archived