Pretty serious color fading on my Les Paul

Carbohydrates

• Members

This guitar's only 8 years old.

51Fve.jpg
It's finished in "Stanley Burst" which has little to no red in it. It's really more of a honey sunburst.

v0DxF.jpg
The back used to be red, though, like it is in the right corner. Now it's 3/4 orange.

ipeI5.jpg
The sides are still MOSTLY red...

AblBV.jpg
But the neck sure isn't.

K4LPF.jpg
Color bleeding onto the binding along the lower edge.

qGr9Z.jpg
I haven't exactly babied it.

...And I absolutely love it. I think it looks great. Personality, you know? smile.gif

• Members

Cool guitar. I completely agree - I enjoy guitars that are a bit broken in and have some vibe or personality. It's been cool to see my guitar "age" with me over time and go from being shiny new pieces to having some authentic play wear. I don't intentionally neglect them or beat them up, but I buy them to play them, come with will.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wanker

View Post

It looks like you keep it on a stand in the sunshine. Lucky it's only faded.

On a stand, yeah, but not in the sun. Well, not directly, anyway. The room has a window, but the stand's not really near it. It IS a really low quality single pane window with no low E coating that I am aware of, so I imagine UV light just pours through it..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wanker View Post
AblBV.jpg

It looks like you keep it on a stand in the sunshine. Lucky it's only faded.
On a stand, yeah, but not in the sun. Well, not directly, anyway. The room has a window, but the stand's not really near it. It IS a really low quality single pane window with no low E coating that I am aware of, so I imagine UV light just pours through it..
I think Dr. Wanker is referring to the line on the neck where the neoprene from the stand is discoloring/eating away at the nitro.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sk8centilli

View Post

I think Dr. Wanker is referring to the line on the neck where the neoprene from the stand is discoloring/eating away at the nitro.

The dark (red) spot is where it sat against the stand, so the finish hasn't faded as much there and stayed more red. The really light (bright orange) spot is actually discoloration in the wood itself! It changes color depending on angle. It's been there since I first got the guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates View Post
The dark (red) spot is where it sat against the stand, so the finish hasn't faded as much there and stayed more red. The really light (bright orange) spot is actually discoloration in the wood itself! It changes color depending on angle. It's been there since I first got the guitar.
Oooohhhh...

Beautiful nonetheless!

• Members

Like I said before, not DIRECT sunlight, but in a room with a lot of low quality windows. Always out on a stand, never in a case. It probably got UV blasted more than the average guitar would.

I still think it looks good the way it is now.

The color of it on the top is very similar to the color of my Epiphone Elite LP which IIRC was called a faded (or aged) HC sunburst

EpiElitist002.jpg

CherryBurst001.jpg

CherryBurst002.jpg

Archived