I have a black one arriving on Tuesday, 11/6- is it a sign?, or just an incoming NGD!

GAS Man

• Members

I was wondering WTF was up since I ordered the guitar early Friday morning from the "same day" group, in this case Zz

but I didn't get a shipping notice until today. Knowing that they ship out of Nevada and New Jersey, I thought there might be a chance my guitar was now well on its way drifting to Africa, but nope it made it out of Nevada on Friday and it's already on its way up the coast to me with election night being its scheduled delivery day.

So I bought this one to help out the haters, so I've got my Teflon suit already on, but this is RICHLITE baby, yeah!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Is70YpW_Pss2pJDElAw

11495_Gibson_Midtown_Custom_Ebony_130611
11495_Gibson_Midtown_Custom_Ebony_130611

I accidentally posted this thread before I was even half-done typing it up, so I'm in edit mode:

But I like that this guitar is a cavity style mahogany body with the maple cap on top. Cost cutting includes a flat-, not arched, top though. But it's got my favorite Gibson pickups in it, BB 1 & 2, and I like that its takes the 339 idea one step further away from 335 platform by making it with a chambered-out mahogany body (vs maple-lam. back) and a bit smaller size than the 335. I think it will be a bit like a Epi WildKat in some respects, but a bit bulkier.

Plus the price was good and these guys are disappearing. When they started at $1500 I thought that was a fair price and somewhat attractive, but you can now catch these being closed out closer to $1200. Not bad when you think you're paying close to LP Studio prices for one.

and for discussion whether the Richlite would be a deal killer or not, my thinking is that it might not be my first choice, but for the discount reflected in the price, I can accept it. Plus, I didn't think I was getting ripped off back when I bought my phenolic carbon fibre board on my Parker Fly Classic, so I don't think I need to freak over a phenolic resin/cellulose fiber concoction. Either way, it's a hard long wearing synthetic. If it makes me feel sad, I can go pick up another guitar kicking around the house but I think I'll like it for the variety and ease of care.

But check this out, it's more interesting than my babble on the topic:

"I found some more info on a gibson forum regarding the fretboard;

This is Matt from EcoSupply, we serve as a distributor for Richlite. The product is a thermal set, not a thermal plastic like Corian or other solid surface type products. If you heat it up it doesn't become more "plastic"; you can't heat form it. It's more resistant to thermal degradation and Class A fire rated. Since it's heat resistant, perhaps the highest volume application is commerical food service. The product is NSF approved for food service and you'll see a version of it in Waffle House and Whole Food if you take a close look at the food prep counter. It's been tested eight ways to Sunday regarding any off-gassing and the phenolic resin should be completely cross-linked and cured post production.

It is a laminated paper, the paper saturated with the phenolic resin. Richlite isn't as brittle as typical HPL. It machines beautifully and maintains the warm feel of wood. It will even burnish and wear in a similar fashion to wood. Consistency and yeild is an advantage, resistance to water, and it is still very dense, but the material is expensive. Richlite is a really versitle sheet good and it's wound up in many unusual applications outside the traditional food service, work surfaces, skate parks, furniture, exterior cladding, and kitchen countertop markets. I have to say that the fret boards are my favorite application. I'm an eco-nut so Ebony and Rosewood in my mind = not cool.

As to how it sounds; that is up to you. I have been told it tests well via computer and "ear", but there must be a million factors given all the models and types of construction. I'm just glad that you all are not my usual customer base since I thought countertop fabricators were a picky bunch. It seem like you guys bring a lot more attention to detail to the table and mix in a serious amount of love and obcession.

Please contact us if you have any questions about the product or want a kitchen counter. You could even clad your house in what is quite similar to a fretboard!

We have a pretty detailed fabrication guide and spec sheet available for download on the Richlite portion of our site.

http://www.ecosupply...s_richlite.html

-Matt"

But I also posted this here because they do seem to be well onto their way to closeout. Selection is diminishing rapidly. I saw a beautifully book-matched grain-figured-top Heritage Cherry burst version come and quickly go at Sweetwater for $1,199. But I wanted to hold off to get the black/ebony color scheme for that bit of Lucille visual vibe. I think that's also a better fit for the look of the Richlite board.

• Members

Okay, 53 views so far and not even at least one "FU GM!"

What do I gotta do, tie a pork chop around it to get someone to play here? idn_smilie.gif

I shoulda just let you boys play with the HIS rant on an iconic Fender amp.

Shameless self-bump -

What do you guys think about this model, cool or fool?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Nice looking ax!

And a +1 for posting a Greg Koch video, that guy is a tremendous player.
Thanks! And yeah, I have no delusions about plugging it in and being able to play as good as that guy does. But I certainly thought it was a precious good video for showing the full potential of that guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele View Post
that should work

sggirl1.jpg
That works for me! wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
I've been trying to give you a big ol' "congrats" but the forum hasn't let me do it! freak.gif
Thanks, and it's funny but I was thinking today about how much more practice I've been getting in these last two weeks. I'll strap a guitar on and "play and surf".

So while I'm waiting for an HCEG past to load, return, edit, whatever, I'll be working on some riffage. Of course the problem is, whenever the next screen finally comes up, or if I'm having to hit the "Retry" button, I don't remember what it was about anymore. freak.gif
icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
Very cool.

Due to the close out sale and the Living Social vouchers, I'm getting two Gibsons in this week. A 70's Tribute Firebird arrives tomorrow. A Faded SG arrives later this week.
Hey, that's sweet. I was giving those long hard looks. I came very close to buying a black '70s trib FB. But I have the SG version so I had to restrain. I'm also a faded SG fan. Both nice sounding guitars. thumb.gif

• Members

Cool guitar, and it got me looking around. I'm a huge P90 fan, and I noticed a Midtown Standard P90 for $1099. I'm pretty tempted to order one, but I think my 137 has my semi-HB bases covered...

Must resist Gibson blow-out pricing and concentrate on finding the right custom shop Tele... rolleyes.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Most excelent!
Thanks wave.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
Cool guitar, and it got me looking around. I'm a huge P90 fan, and I noticed a Midtown Standard P90 for $1099. I'm pretty tempted to order one, but I think my 137 has my semi-HB bases covered...

Must resist Gibson blow-out pricing and concentrate on finding the right custom shop Tele... rolleyes.gif
Yeah, I looked at those too, but I had more covered in the P-90 area than I do in the Burstbucker 1 & 2 area. I have them in some guitars, but they do really differ in tone based upon the guitar they're in, so I'll be curious to hear if this guitar has enough meat to really do those p'ups justice. I bought a 2010 NH that also uses them and it's not as great an application on a maple/poplar bodied guitar as it is on a traditional LP.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage clubber View Post
very nice! congrats! thumb.gif
Thanks VC !!

• Members

FU, GM! mad.gif

tongue.gif

Congrats! Those are seriously nice.

I actually came thisclose to ordering the P90 version (down to $1099 most places), but really couldn't justify it, plus I'm on a Fender kick atm. I may wait to see if any hit the used market down the road.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150 View Post
FU, GM! mad.gif
tongue.gif
Congrats! Those are seriously nice.

I actually came this close to ordering the P90 version (down to $1099 most places), but really couldn't justify it, plus I'm on a Fender kick atm. I may wait to see if any hit the used market down the road.
I think it's kind of amazing the way my tastes will run "atm" from Fender to Gibson to Fender to Gibson with maybe a PRS or Gretsch thrown in from time to time just to make it amusing. My first "good" guitar was a Gibson, but it wasn't the tone I had in my head. Turned out that tone was a Stratocaster. But then I started getting some better sounding Gibsons in my collection (after the '90s) and I've been a bit more of a Gibby fan lately, but I'm like a man without a home base. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the "FU GM" wink.gif

Well, we'll see tomorrow how this guitar turns out, along with who will be our Prez for the next 4

Actually, I'll give the guitar an overnight to acclimate. Plus if I were to start playing it while my political news junkie wife is following the returns, she'd probably just give me the old "El Kabong" with the dern thing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMwEwgIUkkkpToH4OWkGI

Archived