Incredible Homemade Les Pauls

GuitarNoobie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

ready to create my glue...

it took at least 3 hours for all the binding to dissolve in the acetone, but it finally was ready...

I have a much cleaner way of adhering the binding that you may like to try. I prime the channel with the low viscosity Hot Stuff (Stew Mac's 10 or any other superglue). This essentially seals the wood and give a nice base to use the gap filling Hot Stuff (Stew Mac's 20) as your binding adhesive.

I find the adhesion is great and the mess is minimal.

You did a great job though on that. it looks perfect!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish

View Post

messy! nice. haha. i guess you can use the top of the binding as you guide for carving the top down to keep it level.

that drawing you showed is the exact one i used for my model. off that it prints correctly yet isnt to scale in cad.

ok, gotcha on the drawing ....

icon_lol.gif yea, i don't think it's supposed to be quite as messy as mine was. in think i used just a little to much acetone so my glue was kinda thin... live and learn. it glued very well however.

and yes the top of the binding is now perfect for finishing the sanding on top...

just finished up my pickup templates. gonna do those routes and try to sand the top and sides tonight... thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by atrox

View Post

I have a much cleaner way of adhering the binding that you may like to try. I prime the channel with the low viscosity Hot Stuff (Stew Mac's 10 or any other superglue). This essentially seals the wood and give a nice base to use the gap filling Hot Stuff (Stew Mac's 20) as your binding adhesive.

I find the adhesion is great and the mess is minimal.

You did a great job though on that. it looks perfect!

hmm, thanks atrox, i will keep that in mind...

and thanks, it's not perfect, but not too shabby for my first try... thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind

View Post

the next time you melt your glue by adding acetone it will go quicker wink.gif

nice job on the binding

thanks Brian, i'm trying...

why do say next time will go quicker??? confused.gif

• Members

ok, well, like i said, live and learn... i have mostly been up to making mistakes and fixing them recently facepalm.gif

first off the binding channel was too tall so i am sanding down the top of the guitar to meet the binding.

secondly, the width was orginally 1/16", but after sanding out the bearing marks (from the router bit) the width was less than that. therefore, the width of the binding is becoming 1/32" or so... cry.gif oh well it's still there.

dcam4817.jpg

so in the process of sanding down the sides of the binding to match the body i got it too hot in places and it start melting... cry.gif

dcam4811.jpg

however, by using some of the acteone/binding glue to fill bad spots i was able to make it look almost perfect. having that glue with the binding color saved this binding for sure... still working on it, but you can see the burned spot is gone

dcam4815.jpg

sanding on the top and sides of the guitar and binding continue...

ok, so then let's talk pickup routes. everything worked fairly well until i wasn't focused on router direction and it did this cry.gif

dcam4812.jpg

i scooped up the missing pieces and called on tite-bond and a clamp for help...

dcam4813.jpg

another mistake corrected !!!

dcam4820.jpg

i still have to route the pickup cavity legs and finish sanding around the binding. if i can knock that out today i'll be happy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail

View Post

I respectfully object to any non-Gibson made guitar being called a 'Les Paul.' I really don't even like Epiphone called their single cut model a Les Paul, but since Epiphone is owned by Gibson the license probably applies to both. Anyway, why can't we call them LP-type or SC-type, similiar to S-type or T-type?

can I call you an AH-type or a DB-type?

damn Danny

damn

thumb.gif

• Members

ok, fella's final update of the day... i have to clean up, wrap some presents and head up the road about an 1.5 hours for christmas with the family.

first off, my rosewood board came in, here both of them are... both nice !!!

dcam4821.jpg

next, i think my template moved a little bit as my pickup cavity leg routes are a little off...

dcam4823.jpg

so i wanted to make sure all was good and it is, just looks bad with no pickups.

dcam4826.jpg

dcam4827.jpg

next, i have pretty much finished the sanding down to the binding, both top of the guitar and sides... looking pretty good...

dcam4824.jpg

dcam4825.jpg

there are a few minor spots i am touching up with the acetone/binding glue... then there are these two spots. i don't wanna sand down the body and ruin the neck angle on the body... there is also a little chunk missing from the cedar just below the binding. i will use some glue and sawdust to fill that...

dcam4828.jpg

dcam4830.jpg

so, i am adding more acetone/binding JUICE to those spots. i may have to apply a couple of coats to build it up and the binding is going to be thicker both places. That is better than having a gap under the fretboard IMO...

dcam4832.jpg

dcam4831.jpg

so that's about it for today, like i said gotta head up the road for christmas. just doesn't feel much like christmas, it was 71 degrees yesterday... oh wait....

continued.... to next post....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

dcam4834.jpg

wind chill 18 degrees today, WTF !!!!!!

TEXAS weather freak.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!!

construction continues tomorrow evening... wave.gif

I went for a windy bike ride a couple hours ago and it was 46 - I could barely get DOWNhill in a headwind

right now it's 39

yesterday was mid 70s

it hurts me to see the temperature drop below 60 - I'm pretty upset right now, as you can imagine

I'm gonna have to put on long pants

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jjpistols

View Post

I went for a windy bike ride a couple hours ago and it was 46 - I could barely get DOWNhill in a headwind

right now it's 39

yesterday was mid 70s

it hurts me to see the temperature drop below 60 - I'm pretty upset right now, as you can imagine

pussies, its -4C here. tongue.gif

good weather for growing maples! or so they claim.

in any case. i was wondering how you would handle the neck angle vs the binding. clever idea with the acetone goop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jjpistols

View Post

right now it's 39

yesterday was mid 70s

i hate long pants mad.gif

Quote Originally Posted by dimmypage

View Post

Hey Noobs, when ya get done with this thing send it on out my way and Ill give a reviewthumb.gifthumb.gificon_lol.gif

Oh yea its 50 degrees and sunny up here in Portland.

ok dimmy, just don't hold your breath wink.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish

View Post

pussies, its -4C here. tongue.gif

good weather for growing maples! or so they claim.

in any case. i was wondering how you would handle the neck angle vs the binding. clever idea with the acetone goop.

the acetone goop is working well. i've applied two coats and it's practically there. i will sand it and apply one more coat if needed... thumb.gif

• Members

your goop idea will work well

another way it could have been done is by cutting a little piece of binding in half height wise and then using the acetone glue to melt it right to the binding that was there.

I just got done using my sawzall to chop 2 disks off a 28" maple log......nice spalty stuff.....6 months from now look out

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind

View Post

your goop idea will work well

another way it could have been done is by cutting a little piece of binding in half height wise and then using the acetone glue to melt it right to the binding that was there.

I just got done using my sawzall to chop 2 disks off a 28" maple log......nice spalty stuff.....6 months from now look out

I thought about using actual binding pieces but thought the goop would be easier wink.gif

got any pics of that fresh maple?

Archived