• Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo68

View Post

love.gif

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow

View Post

Oh, and this is another REALLY cool thread by Guitarnoobie!

thanks Dave... it's all about having FUN !!!! playing guitars, talking about guitars and working on them has become a passion tongue.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish

View Post

wow, that was quick! i did mine with a chisel, took a few days. yours looks really nice. i prefer a modern full arch top on les pauls, but thats just a preference.

are you going to route the neck angle with a router jig?

thanks man...

yes, my plan was to build another jig for the top angle of the cap and just angle my template for the neck routre...

something along these lines...

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

and

necktemplateangle1.jpg

necktemplateangle2.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by igge

View Post

This thread will be followed by me very closely. That test guitar will probably turn out really good. You're having a fun X-mas indeed.

Well I didn't start this thread as a build thread, but it has kinda turned into that.

I wasn't sure about documenting the test guitar, but I am...

I am learning with every step in the process, so as you can see, mistakes will be documented too facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

I am learning with every step in the process, so as you can see, mistakes will be documented too facepalm.gif

mistakes are the most important thing to document. i think thats what i learn from the most in these threads, watching what DOESNT work and figuring out why.

• Members

View Post

btw,

what's the best tool for determining the 4.4 degree angle needed for the neck angle???

a ruler and the bridge. thats how i did it with the chisel, just kept going til it all lined up. i dont know if you could do the same on yours, you kinda need it to be right the first time.

you can get one of them fancy protractor levels that you sit on a surface and it tells you the angle.

• Members

View Post

a ruler and the bridge. thats how i did it with the chisel, just kept going til it all lined up. i dont know if you could do the same on yours, you kinda need it to be right the first time.

you can get one of them fancy protractor levels that you sit on a surface and it tells you the angle.

something like these i suppose...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

• Members

no, not those. the one im thinking of is called an inlinometer aparently.

6a010535c1f40a970c01157185ff45970b-320wi

looks like that.

you would stick it on a surface - your blank - and it would tell you the angle. you could use it to make your routing jig by shimming underneath it til you get the right angle, then lock the thing down.

• Members

View Post

no, not those. the one im thinking of is called an inlinometer aparently.

6a010535c1f40a970c01157185ff45970b-320wi

looks like that.

you would stick it on a surface - your blank - and it would tell you the angle. you could use it to make your routing jig by shimming underneath it til you get the right angle, then lock the thing down.

i actually saw one of those at home depot, but i did not feel it would be accurate enough. There was no way i was gonna be able to determine 4.4 degrees with it... between 4 and 5 problably, but not exactly...

View Post

yes, thats more like it. fancy pants version smile.gif

the fancy pants version to me is the accurate way to go. when it reads 4.4 in big bold numbers all will be good biggrin.gif

• Members

ok so i built a neck tenon template. i plan to route that tomorrow (and this will be a most critical cut and whether this is a playable instrument or not).

dcam4756.jpg

dcam4757.jpg

but anyway with that said, i was watching Ex-Nihilo's 3B video and he mentions routing the pickup plane with a hinge jig. see screen capture...

hingejig.jpg

apparently i have missed something in all the build threads i have read. i understand and have created the 4.4 degree neck plane angle, but he mentions the pickup plane (between the end of the fretboard and the bridge).

what is this angle supposed to be??? confused.gif

• Members

View Post

what is this angle supposed to be??? confused.gif

My memory might be failing me, but I think that the pickup plane from the end of the fretboard to the bridge should be level or parallel to the back: hopefully someone with more insight will soon either correct or verify this.

Thanks for sharing your progress and for posting those videos! I'm definitely going to use some of these methods and techniques on my next build.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Elias

View Post

My memory might be failing me, but I think that the pickup plane from the end of the fretboard to the bridge should be level or parallel to the back: hopefully someone with more insight will soon either correct or verify this.

Thanks for sharing your progress and for posting those videos! I'm definitely going to use some of these methods and techniques on my next build.

that would make it flat, which i always thought it was idn_smilie.gif

but in the 3B video I posted there is clearly some angle there. I have this question posted in another forum also... between here and there someone should be able to provide an answer...

and your welcome, build away brother !!! thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

since youve spent a fortune on that precarved top, and the edge is thin, i suggest that you not router the edge, but use the sander very carefully instead. flame maple is a mother {censored}er for routing, no matter what precautions you take. theres no point risking a split when youve actually got the "right" tool sitting there.

one great trick ive seen is making an undersize template and then gluing a guide ring to the sander's cover washer that goes around the spindle. this lets you sand precisely all the way around, both the top and back. youll probably need the second largest spindle to do this, as the biggest i dont think has a ring. i forget.

you can make the undersize template off the "good" template you bought. 3/16" all around will probably do. too big and you might round over the horn too much by accident.

still trying to wrap my head around this concept... i just can't picture what you are saying. plus with the oscillation how would i be able to sand a binding channel...

off to youtube to see if i can find something like you are trying to explain...

however, this tool is awesome..... i have used it for almost every task I have completed. so very handy !!!! thumb.gif

Archived