Still Amazed By The Mustang...

steve_man

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am still having a great time w/my mustang 1. I don't play it "out loud" much, mostly using for recording direct to the pc via usb - and for that, I get as good or better results then when trying to record my tube amps.

For under a $100, you simply can't get a more useful amp.

• Members

They're worse than meh. The hi gain stuff is just plain awful.

On the edge break up and nice cleans are all it has to offer.

I bought it for the high gain, and think it's got some great dirty sounds. You DO have to tweak it, though-none of the really good sounds are available without some work in FUSE, IMHO.

• Members

I bought it for the high gain, and think it's got some great dirty sounds. You DO have to tweak it, though-none of the really good sounds are available without some work in FUSE, IMHO.

Yup, ALL of the models really shine when you tweak them through FUSE...

• Members

Have you done all the firmware updates ? How about the latest "version" ? Have you D/L any backing tracks ? Presets ?

I also own a G-DEC 3-30, seems to work almost the same as the Mustang amps except you can adjust the volume of the backing tracks. I check into the Fender site a few times a week to check for "updates".

I see Fender is offering 4 different "G DEC" 3- 30. The "original" as well as blues, country and metal. I D/L everything that is available for D/L. More stuff than I will ever use there.

• Members

I want either a I or a II, even tho they are 40-50% more here in Thailand. Bad high gain doesn't bother me, because high gain all sounds like noise to me anyway. I prefer to make music.

SO I try to look at user reviews on this site... put it in search and NOTHING comes up..... did more digging and found one review.... what's up with that?

But they sound great from clips I've heard and seem like incredible value.... wtf

• Members

On the subject of high gain: find 7 o'clock distortion, blues clean overdrive and blues. 7 o'clock distortion can be a little too cluttered so it's not everyone's cup of tea. Blues clean overdrive is an amazing blues rock setting and blues gives a beautiful mellow tone. I also recommend turning the volume down on the super live album (the orange super sonic) which will allow the distortion to come through better.

If you're not using Fuse then the Mustang is pretty bad for all but clean tones, and you can still find better clean tones on Fuse anyway.

• Members

No, you can download them to your PC using the fender Fuse software. It's basically a place for people to share thier BT's and sound presets. I was dissapointed with 2 things on my Mustang 2- Even after extensive tweaking I couldnt quite find a high gain setting that I liked very much and if you play with the headphones on, the USB cable does not pass audio TO the mustang, only from it, so you have to use an aux cable from your PC to the AUX in on the amp. I guess I am spoiled by Line 6 toneport where its all done with one unit and cable. I agree though, the clean sounds are absolutely fantastic, but I feel that the valvetronix are a bit better- I get much better tube feel from my 50W vox,, That little preamp tube in there does matter, I think.

• Members

Just tried disabling the cab models...big improvement for the Twin and the Bassman sounds. The Bassman was always too dark, now it sounds great and open. The Twin has a more extended high end so you can turn the treble down and get more clarity without the harshness. Very sweet!

• Members

Still lovin mine!

I have a Mustang I, bought it for an at-home practice amp, and it's perfect for that. When it was still in the new-amp-novelty phase, I went into FUSE and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked. But now I've got it dialed in for what I like to play, and I just have more fun with it than should be legal for $99.

Very impressive, what Fender packaged here.

• Members

I've been thinking about one. I just get really frustrated having to hook to a PC. I have a Gdec3 and spend more time tweaking than playing.
:(

Yeah, I don't tweak the settings for too long...just enough to dial in the eq/reverb settings

Archived