I Need A NEW Car.............New Meaning Of Gas

Bbreaker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Infiniti eh? Way too much money for something that can never be as good as a

2012-Nissan-GT-R-8.JPG

True. But I live in the Pacific Northwest, which has weather a lot like yours over there in Jolly Ol' England. So I have to have a convertible :confused:

Well, the reason is, when we do have sunny days (about a hundred or so a year), I might be trapped going to work, so at least during my commute back and forth I can capitalize on that sunshine by dropping the top and feeling free for 25 minutes each way. So I sometimes look for vehicles that have some sporty edge to them, sedan functionality, but can do it all topless on demand. ;)

• Members

We looked at/demoed a Chevy Spark.

Not a sexy beast but good enough to zip around and file motions for NJ Lawyers in the court system.

We're still thinking about pulling the trigger.

Nothing like our former '66 Fairlane; '92 Thunderbird Sport; '87 BMW 325i or '95 Mitsu 3000GT..............uh, the Spark is a functional car for what I need.

Hey, I lost the business income of at least $80k per year since 2007.

2012 is even worse.

Can't wait to retire and be out of this crazy {censored}.

I've got a '12 Ford Edge that gets great fuel economy and it's got plenty of room for trucking gear around, even with my kid's car seat and a half seat full of toys. LOL

Oh, I only have the SEL, packing 285 ponies. The Sport version packs 305 ponies under the hood.

• Members

I stopped buying new cars years ago - let some other poor sucker take that initial depreciation hit! Chances are excellent, if you're patient, that you can find what you want, a year or two old with a few miles on it, for pennies on the dollar.

You know, for me it's really not the depreciation. I've bought 4 of my last 5 cars brand new, and I like being able to mount a virgin and like any Sheik, I'll pay a bit of a premium for that pleasure. But tell you why I keep telling myself - "Never Again" (new) - it's because I worry too much about door dings on new cars. Kid you not, I'm a total OCD, anxiety ridden psycho when it comes to getting a new car dinged, and I always take them to a body shop to get it fixed when that happens. And forget about taking it to places with tight parking, I won't even go there.

My last used car I bought 6 years ago, and had it for 4 years before the transmission went out on it rendering it "value-wise totaled" (then I made the "mistake" of replacing it with the brand new Nissan Maxima). But at that time, the S2000 was my primary car for a year, but I didn't like driving it every day and in crap weather. So I picked up this used '96 Cadillac Seville SLS for $6K (p.s. that car had depreciated about $40K in 10 years from its MSRP). At first I didn't like the softness of the ride, but with time I came to love it and all the many comfort features that were built into it. It felt like you never left your living room couch and it still got a full 23 mpg, PLUS it already came "pre-dinged" (we'd of course call that a "light relic job" here) so I really had very little worries where I took that car, it was already slightly battled scarred. So even though I would like the Infiniti G37 convertible, my next addition really should be some used 4-wheel drive sedan or wagon that I can use to go up the mountains for skiing and not worry about whether someone's skis are falling over in the parking lot or they're dragging them along the side of the car while I'm up there shoos-booting the slopes. A new Infiniti would just acerbate my psychosis on that issue.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. My wife drives a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i that we bought used when it was just a bit over one year old. We got if for about $15K off of its sticker price and it was still practically in new condition with factory warranty still in place for another 3.5 years. That savings was certainly well worth it.

• Members

Ford Edge! A coworker has that and we affectionately call it the station wagon.

I think of the Edge as something more along the lines of a Fusion on more steroids than a Mr. Universe contestant.

Did you know that the Chevy Suburban is technically classified as a station wagon?

• Members

Sounds like you want something practical and cheap to run Bbreaker.

I'd recommend a VW Golf or Passat.

Both are good looking, perform well, are reliable and have strong residuals.
The Golf pretty much sets the standard for a "medium family hatchback" category, although the Passat is probably better value (you seem to pay a premium for getting the Golf name for some reason)
Both have a variety of good engines. The diesels are what I'd go for, they make a 105bhp 1.6 diesel which is extremely economical, or a 2 litre diesel which comes in 140bhp or 170bhp versions depending on the trim.

Alternatively, for even better value although weaker residuals, check out Seat if you get them in the US.
They are a subsidiary of VW, they use the same engines and chassis as VW's but are a lot cheaper.
The Seat Leon is a Golf with different bodywork, and as far as I know the Exeo is built in the same factories as the last version Audi A4 was built using many of the same parts.

• Members
  • Members

Am I the only one here driving a car worth less than $3,000? I drive a 1996 Toyota Camry that I bought a three years ago for $3,500. I'd love to get something smaller, newer, and that gets better gas mileage. But, money's tight. The car was almost destroyed last weekend though, buy a dump truck. I was sitting at an intersection and a massive dump truck tried to make an impossible turn behind me, and starting hitting the rear corner, jolting the car and making a horrible sound. Thankfully, I was able to pull forward very quickly, which kept the damage to a minimum. Amazingly, all it did is destroy the tail light, which I was able to replace via amazon.com.

• Members

Have a 09 Toyota RAV4 v6- mpg is not great, but, fast, roomy, safe. If i were buying new, a VW Sportwagon TDI or a Ford Cmax would be the top contenders. Diesels are awesome, but in Michigan 50 cents more per gallon. Also, I owned an 07 Prius for two years, and while boring hell to drive, to gig and killer mpg, they are crazy good in gas and if you look, used ones with under 40k are fairly cheap. GF has a 2012...53 mpg, for real, without trying.

• Members

I understand the appeal of new - NOTHING can match that smell, nevermind the warranty. But, Lou, just for fun, for Spark money, you can buy this:

I'll put 45 to 50k miles on it the first year.

Starting out with 98k miles would not be good for me.

I had a used BMW 325is. It was flat bedded 3 x in 6 months...............no thank you.

I think we're going to look at the Spark again this weekend...............maybe a HNCD (Happy New Car Day).

Not the sex but practical.

• Members

I need new , automatic, gas on an eye dropper vehicle to make court house and occasional A/C compressor deliveries.

..........................hopefully have enough room for my Bogner Shiva head; Bogner 2x12; SWR acoustic amp and 4 or 5 guitars.:).....................or I could use my 15' box truck to haul more.:idea:

Archived