Do you feel compelled to buy locally?

LynchProtoge

• Members

For years our gear prices have been completely overpriced (ie: 5 years ago MIA STD. strats were $2100). Since globalization, ebay and the like, there is no need for us to be ripped off any more. The retailers who have not accommodated the global market are no longer and have absolutely no empathy for them.

So, do I buy locally? Only if they meet the prices I can get online, which is rare if never.

Check out how much pickups are... http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/resultsbp.html?brand_publisher=SEYMOUR%20DUNCAN

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For years our gear prices have been completely overpriced (ie: 5 years ago MIA STD. strats were $2100). Since globalization, ebay and the like, there is no need for us to be ripped off any more. The retailers who have not accommodated the global market are no longer and have absolutely no empathy for them.

So, do I buy locally? Only if they meet the prices I can get online, which is rare if never.

Check out how much pickups are...

full of win

• Members

I will try to give my business to local shops when possible:

- they let me try out gear I couldn't get my hands on otherwise

- I do not hide to them that they will have to be competitive or I will buy elsewhere.

That approach has never failed me, for music gear or otherwise.

On a side note, independent shops often have cool rarer gear.

This gear doesn't sell so well as not fender/marshal/gibson and you can often get a killer deal on a 3 to 5 years old amp/guitar they've had in the shop and not shifted because its brand name isn't mainstream.

• Members

I'm really fortunate to have a couple of great local stores. One has more inventory than most GC and Sam Ash stores, and the prices are a usually a few bucks lower. Plus, the guys are actual musicians, not zit farmers who couldn't tell the difference in tone between a Line 6, SS Crate, and an Engl. Great store with a bunch of great used stuff as well.

Having said that, I'm always scouring Ebay and Craigslist for other great used gear. If I get a great coupon or deal from MF, GC, or some other online retailer, I won't hesitate to jump on it.

• Members

I'm really fortunate to have a couple of great local stores. One has more inventory than most GC and Sam Ash stores, and the prices are a usually a few bucks lower. Plus, the guys are actual musicians, not zit farmers who couldn't tell the difference in tone between a Line 6, SS Crate, and an Engl. Great store with a bunch of great used stuff as well.

Having said that, I'm always scouring Ebay and Craigslist for other great used gear. If I get a great coupon or deal from MF, GC, or some other online retailer, I won't hesitate to jump on it.

• Members

I'm pretty set in my ways re: buying local. I WILL for guitars/instruments (with a couple of exceptions), and usually WILL NOT for mass produced electronics.

I like Asian guitars and the variance from guitar to guitar is simply too great to crapshoot ... I annoy GC staff, but yes, I do go through ALL of the guitars of the model I'm seeking to find one that's decent, and if none are, I won't buy. I'm fortunate in that my local independent store is big, and competitive on pricing. They're also good guys, and give me great prices because I'm a regular.

When I bought a CV Squier online from Hello Music, the first guitar I got was an abortion; after returning, they sent me one that was quite good but I think it was cherry picked by one of their managers. And a pricier guitar? I mean, what if I'm disappointed? Even a good return policy means I've lost time in packing/re-shipping, and the disappointment's no fun.

The only guitar I bought online that made me happy was an Agile, and they're not in stores. And FWIW, the first one of THOSE was also an abortion, albeit Kurt was a great guy about replacing.

Electronics I will buy anywhere; they're not as varied as instruments. They work or don't. I do still try to keep things local, but if I want some rare pedal, I just go online.

I like "keeping it in town." With GC that goes out the window, but a good example to me of why I prefer that was when I recently bought a VOX 212 cab at MGR. I was auditioning it, and a kid I know as an employee of another store was in there, walks up and says "that's mine. You know that recording of mine we talked about? That's the cab I used for that guitar sound." It was obvious he was in selling mode, and I appreciated it because I was pretty {censored}ing fond of the guitar sound on that recording. "Why're you selling it, then?" I asked. "I got a kid. Bills." Done deal; even if it's a drug habit or a bad girlfriend, I like him, and I enjoy knowing the history of the cabinet and that at a point when he was in need, I made a small dent.

• Members

A) They're not that well stocked

B) The ones that are left in town (or near) are clip joints (over priced)

C) None of them have ever exhibited good or routine courteous service

C is the one that gets me the most. I am so sick and tired to pretentious assholes who act like they

• Members

I find there to be very little advantage to buying locally.

1. It takes time out of my day that I don't need to waste.

2. I need more than a 20 mins "try" before I commit. The online vendors have a better return policy and I get to do a better in depth review at home.

3. Most stores, like the local GC, let anyone try the guitar on the wall. Even if I buy locally, I ask for a fresh one from the back if possible.

4. Not going into a local store removes the temptation for the impulse purchase.

5. Shopping out of state usually removes sales tax. (at least for now)

Finally:

6. I find I don't like sales people much.

• Members

I try to buy locally as much as I can to support local business and keep the money in the community. I'm lucky to have a really good pro music store near where I live (Bananas At Large) and I appreciate them being there, so I'm inclined to give them the money rather than a big box store or online dealer. There have been times when an online seller's price was considerably less and I've gone for it, but often the local store will do their best to match prices.

One cool feature of the store is that Neil Schon of Journey buys and sells a lot of his gear there and they often have some of his used stuff on display for sale. I once got a free 20 minute concert when I happened to be there when he was trying out guitars and amps. You never know who you will run into there - I've seen Kirk Hammet, Tom Johnston of the Doobie Brothers, and Narada Michael Walden (drummer w/Jeff Beck). I know that online dealers have hurt local sales, and I'd hate to see them go out of business in these rough economic times - it would be a big loss to the local music scene.

• Members

I buy guitars locally. Guitars vary too much even within a given model to think that one pulled off the digital shelf would be the one with resonant wood that sings, with the neck that feels perfect in my hands, where the weight is right, and the grain looks good (on models where the grain is visible through the finish).

I get to know the guys in my local shops, which helps me to get reasonably good deals without much if any haggling, and I like helping to keep someone in my neighborhood employed. Stuff like pedals and parts I'll buy online.

• Members

I'm lucky to have some decent local independent stores that sell cool gear at competitive prices (the local GC sucks for selection and pricing). As a result, I bought all of my Gretsches and Fenders from one of them (Cream City Music), and my Ric 360 from another one (Wade's Guitar Shop). But if I can't get my hands on something locally, I'm not averse to going online (I bought my Guid 12-string from zZounds). But I will admit that I prefer to buy locally if I can - once again, provided that the price is competitive, AND I get decent courteous service. There are a couple of shops around here that will never get my money, due to poor service. Sorry, if you don't give me decent service, you obviously don't want, or need my money.

• Members

After spending weeks messing around on the internet I find going to the store and playing stuff an actual time-saver, not to mention fun. If the store matches the online price I'm not going to quibble over the sales tax.

Another thing is the last few items I've bought online have looked like they've been through the war. Knobs falling off, refurbs, one thing I suspect was counterfeit. All were supposed to be new, and were bought from reputable sites. I've also tried Ebay and Craiglist and they each have plusses and minuses

My point is don't write off stores. The sales staff have been overwhelmingly cool in my experience at large and small stores alike. Yes they sometimes say offensive things and sometimes they don't know things you think they should know. Part of growing up is realizing which stuff is irrelevant, and focusing on working with what you have to achieve your goals. It's worth enduring a little social anxiety to get the best value.

Also don't forget once the stores go away we're probably done with electric guitar being a popular hobby. It might limp on for a few decades but it will be nothing like it is today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The most serious store around where I live is a GC, and I appreciate that it's there- I like to try stuff out, and when it comes time to buy, they'll match online prices including not paying tax. And when you buy online and don't like something, you have to pay the return shipping.

• Members

Do you feel compelled to buy locally? No.

I contribute a {censored}load to the local economy in property taxes alone. I've purchased cars totaling well into six figures total that are taxed locally. It goes on and on... I feel no guilt or remorse of any sort about an internet purchase. My local gov is way ahead on this scorecard.

Archived