OT - TinyLick.com

scolfax

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm also on the lookout for any bugs you might find - even though the site is simple you'd be surprised how they sneak in there sometimes. Two known bugs should be squashed within the next day or so.

• Members

I'm also on the lookout for any bugs you might find - even though the site is simple you'd be surprised how they sneak in there sometimes. Two known bugs should be squashed within the next day or so.

I haven't noticed any bugs.

I think keeping the interface simple and easy to use is critical, and you've certainly done that. However I like the idea of a more advanced one.

Have you used tuxguitar at all? I realize it an application, and you're working within the constraints of javascript and css, but the way you enter in fret #'s in tuxguitar is really simple, intuitive and quick. If there was some way to allow for direct entry via the keyboard it would speed things up considerably.

I was thinking about the "tags" part too; there really is no reason to have an artificial limit like 5 tags as I suggested before. I can't see needing more then 5 tags per lick, but who knows.

Anyway, it's really cool.

• Members

Heard two reports that there's a bug using the site on a mac. I have a mac and can't reproduce it.

Can anyone here please give it a shot on their mac and give me details on how they found the bug, assuming they found one?

Thanks!

• Members

Heard two reports that there's a bug using the site on a mac. I have a mac and can't reproduce it.

Can anyone here please give it a shot on their mac and give me details on how they found the bug, assuming they found one?

Thanks!

I don't have a mac... but what is the supposed bug?

• Members

Maybe a better approach would be a pop up box to scroll to the fret number. That would mean simply selecting the option in a combo-box (program speak there, sorry). Same for dynamics as with fret/string options.

Still like this very much! :)

• Members
Maybe a better approach would be a pop up box to scroll to the fret number. That would mean simply selecting the option in a combo-box (program speak there, sorry). Same for dynamics as with fret/string options.

Still like this very much!
:)

Thanks! I'd like to get your feedback again when the new version is up. I think there's a way to keep it simple without resorting to combo boxes. I'm still considering an "advanced" editor to keep side-by-side with the main one, and your idea could make it into that one.

• Members

Looks like the mac "problem" was fixed (thanks scolfax!:wave:)

I was running the old version of safari, so i downloaded 4.0.2 and now it works fine. not sure if it was a problem with safari or with the program, but if you mac users are having problems, try getting the new safari (plus, its pretty cool :thu:)

• Members

I'm thinking of adding a new feature that will automatically post new licks made by anyone to
twitter.com/tinylick

It wouldn't show who made it or where it was used elsewhere on the 'net.

What do you guys think of this idea?

i don't think i would do that because right after you started this thread i go on there and just {censored}ed around. Did not make anything that made any sense at all, just really checked the site to see how it worked.

i really don't think you wanna just throw trash up on twitter and i am more than certain a lot people did what i did, which was pure nothing... :lol:

just my .02

EDIT: thanks for the site, it's pretty slick...

• Members
i really don't think you wanna just throw trash up on twitter and i am more than certain a lot people did what i did, which was pure nothing...
:lol:

Great point, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe a checkbox somewhere to let you decide if you want your lick included or not, or a button to delete a junk lick after you've created it...

Anyway, the new version is out! Give it a shot - a lot fewer clicks to create your lick. Don't forget you can right-click to cycle backwards too!

• Members

One thing I could say just by looking is maybe a different background or something. The black kind of gets me down so maybe put a cool background that's brighter with some notes or guitars or something. Look matters just as much as features for some people! Anyways, awesome program, keep it up.

• Members

... a cool background that's brighter with some notes or guitars or something. Look matters just as much as features for some people! Anyways, awesome program, keep it up.

Thanks - another one for the todo list!

• Members

Please don't take this the wrong way... but I really think you should consider some kind of drop-down or direct keyboard input for inputting fret #'s. Even with the current "starting point" buttons, it's just too much clicking to get to the right spot.

Maybe if there was a checkbox, labeled something like "advanced input" or something like that. If checked, when you click, a popup would appear w/all the fret #'s (and notations) and you could just click on the fret # or symbol. That way each input would only be 2 clicks, instead of many.

I'm just anti-too-many-mouse-clicks is all. :)

Keep up the great work - I really like it!

• Members

Please don't take this the wrong way... but I really think you should consider some kind of drop-down or direct keyboard input for inputting fret #'s. Even with the current "starting point" buttons, it's just too much clicking to get to the right spot.

Maybe if there was a checkbox, labeled something like "advanced input" or something like that. If checked, when you click, a popup would appear w/all the fret #'s (and notations) and you could just click on the fret # or symbol. That way each input would only be 2 clicks, instead of many.

I'm just anti-too-many-mouse-clicks is all.
:)

Keep up the great work - I really like it!

I hear you loud and clear, it's high on the todo list. One thing on the table is support for the mouse scroll-wheel, but that doesn't meet your desire for "2 clicks" per entry, which is reasonable. A dropdown with all of the current options would have around 30 entries in it, which would be hideous. Right now I'm trying to work out how a popup would look.

And thanks for the feedback, it means a lot!

Archived