OT - TinyLick.com

scolfax

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey wait, the 3 1 0 at the beginning on the E string shouldn't be there ???

Sorry about that. I'll bet you tried to clear the screen by hitting the refresh button your browser after entering the 3 1 0. It's a bug I'm still working on - should be fixed in a day or so.

Until then you can clear the lick by clicking on the address in your browser and hitting enter.

• Members

I agree with previous comments on having a database of licks with categories.

How about: Advanced search with categories, length of lick, and amount of polyphony.

And, allow people to vote on licks, so that you can list them in terms of "most popular lick", "highest rated lick", "newly added lick" etc.

• Members

is there any possible way to make it actually play the tab lick you created ? Too much programming ?

I've considered this, and even sophisticated applications that do this sound like crap. After adding categories I'm going to let anyone attach soundclick and youtube clips to any lick. Then these can be voted up, so that the clip at the top will be the best representation of the lick.

• Members

scolfax I can't thank you enough for this great little app. I post frequently in the forums at www.truefire.com and this is a wonderful tool! I have posted the program in several threads with links to the tinylicks site. There is a lot of theory and course discussion at truefire it's not a tab site and I for one HATE lining up dashes and numbers etc. to post a theory example.

As much as I appreciate a free thingy like this you should at least get some kind of copywrite/patent or whatever on your idea. I think it could be a moneymaker for you.

Anyway sometimes the simplest ideas are the most brilliant and I thank you very much. Good luck with this....a few banner adds to pay some bills or buy some new gear is fine by me!

• Members
Unfortunately I never tried it with the nokia before yesterday.
:(

cell phone browsers are a different beast... lots of things that work on firefox or IE won't work on a cell phone...

btw, it doesn't work on my samsung instinct either, no that i am worried about it, just saying...

• Members

cell phone browsers are a different beast... lots of things that work on firefox or IE won't work on a cell phone...

btw, it doesn't work on my samsung instinct either, no that i am worried about it, just saying...

fwiw, the nokia 810 isn't really a cellphone, it's a small wifi internet tablet running an embedded version of linux (maemo). I believe the browser is derived from mozilla - that's why I was sort of hoping it would run, which it did, it just looked weird.

• Members

Sorry about that. I'll bet you tried to clear the screen by hitting the refresh button your browser after entering the 3 1 0. It's a bug I'm still working on - should be fixed in a day or so.

This bug has been fixed!

Yeah, I did want it to work well on the iPhone at first, but I had to compromise too much for every other browser, so right now it's written and tested for PC browsers.

Really glad you guys like it! I love getting surprised when I discover it's being used on forums I've never heard of. A couple of days someone used it on Newgrounds and then GMFullsize of all places!

I'm a little surprised it hasn't gotten any traction on Twitter. I thought for sure that crowd would use it to trade licks. Maybe it will just take time for people to hear about it.

• Members
fwiw, the nokia 810 isn't really a cellphone, it's a small wifi internet tablet running an embedded version of linux (maemo). I believe the browser is derived from mozilla - that's why I was sort of hoping it would run, which it did, it just looked weird.

oops, i assumed, sorry... :wave:

• Members
scolfax I can't thank you enough for this great little app. I post frequently in the forums at
www.truefire.com
and this is a wonderful tool! I have posted the program in several threads with links to the tinylicks site. There is a lot of theory and course discussion at truefire it's not a tab site and I for one HATE lining up dashes and numbers etc. to post a theory example.

As much as I appreciate a free thingy like this you should at least get some kind of copywrite/patent or whatever on your idea. I think it could be a moneymaker for you.

Anyway sometimes the simplest ideas are the most brilliant and I thank you very much. Good luck with this....a few banner adds to pay some bills or buy some new gear is fine by me!

Thanks so much for the compliment and for spreading the word! When the idea hit me I was really excited. It's really rewarding that it's up and running, but even more that people are actually using it!

• Members

I need your suggestions for genre's (classic rock, shred, classical...?) and categories (lick, scale, chord, arpeggio, chops builder...?)

Going to add these, along with Key and Mode, within the next day or so. They will be optional, but if you add them they will be displayed at the top of the lick.

Also, what order should they be in? I'm thinking:

Key (upper left), Mode, Genre, Category (upper right)

• Members

Hmmmm...
Why do you need categories? Simple is best that is part of the beauty of your creation.
If you are going to do something along this line why not just a "caption box"
A 10 letter or so box where the creator can label it
Cmj7th arp, dorian run, tapping run etc.

Whatever you do will make the input controls more intrusive.

Question....When you create a lick it gives you a url for the .jpg. Where are all these lick images stored?

• Members

Hmmmm...

Why do you need categories? Simple is best that is part of the beauty of your creation.

If you are going to do something along this line why not just a "caption box"

A 10 letter or so box where the creator can label it

Cmj7th arp, dorian run, tapping run etc.

Whatever you do will make the input controls more intrusive.

Question....When you create a lick it gives you a url for the .jpg. Where are all these lick images stored?

You make a good point about simplicity. But since the key/mode/category/genre tags will all be optional, they won't change anything about the way the site works for you if you don't use them. But if they are entered, then other users will be able to search for licks using them. Maybe I can give you the option of hiding those dropdowns if you don't want them.

If you want people to know it's a 'tapping run', you can always put that info in the forum or Twitter post you're linking from, but I can't let users enter freeform text because they might enter an artist/song name, or the name of a book. I want to make sure it's clear that the site is for sharing, not stealing.

Anyway, nothing is in stone yet. I'm still interested in getting more feedback.

Edit: I'm probably not going to include the mode.

Genres so far:

Classic Rock

Blues

Classical

Metal

Country

Shred

Categories so far:

Lick

Chord

Scale

Arpeggio

Chops builder

Exercise

• Members

Chops Builder and Exercise seem redundant, consider Exercise and Lesson.
I know it's getting used at truefire to supplement courses and lessons so that is probably how users could keep track of their lesson examples.

• Members
I just deployed the new version of TinyLick.com with optional Key, Category, and Genre! Whew!

KgIAAA.jpg

Cool, I like it.

One thing I've been wondering about... going back and editing a lick, like if I made a mistake, or picked the wrong category.... maybe the concept of an "account" and you could access all the licks you've created for later use or editing?

• Members

Cool, I like it.

One thing I've been wondering about... going back and editing a lick, like if I made a mistake, or picked the wrong category.... maybe the concept of an "account" and you could access all the licks you've created for later use or editing?

That's been on my mind. Thing is, I don't want to force anyone to register or login to use the site. In a couple of releases I'll probably add logins just for certain features like the one you mentioned.

What do you think about sites that let you use your Facebook login?

• Members

Great idea, I really like how simple it is too use.

As a few other people have said I think an option where people can save their licks to a database could make it into a really useful learning tool. If a database is possible maybe have an option were people can rate their licks as beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Archived