335-Style Love (All Makes/Models/Variants)

HeatherAnnePeel

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by STRANDMAN1

View Post

I've been a huge fan of the Japanese made 335's since I bought this one back in 83.

IBANEZ ARTIST AM 205

IBANEZ5.png

IBANEZ4.png

IBANEZ9.png

I bought this one last year and I have to say that the new Japanese made 335's are every bit as good as the vintage ones.

YAMAHA SA 2200

Picture084.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

LP114.jpg

God himself made that first Ibanez. The beauty of it is stunning.

• Members

This is not helping my GAS.

One stick of gear I've always wanted to own is a big-bodied semi-hollow (with Bigsby.)

Someday I hope to score something along the lines of a 335 or possibly a big Gretsch or something...

Yeah--I dug the P93s and played a few of 'em. I just never have any leisure cash.

• Members

Presently, I have the Vantage VSH-455, Epi Dot and Dot Studio, a sunburst Ibanez AS73 and am awaiting the cherry red gloss Dot Studio. In the past, I had a '69 Gibson ES-335 (sunburst) and a Bradley (Veneman Music house brand, made by Greco) set neck cherry red ES-335 copy, which was the best one of all, for me. The 335 style is one of my faves, and the first I owned (the Bradley) really turned me on to the style. As mentioned elsewhere, it really combines the best traits of solid and hollow bodies.

• Members

No pics but have a very long history with semi hollow double cuts... My current is an early 80's MIJ Yamaha AS 820.. A wonderful guitar, that is certainly better than the 335'sGibson was making during that time period..

Others I have owned and loved or hated ,with a brief description of the guitar...

1967 ES 335-Magnificent... Dead Mint.. Wish I still had it

1966 Trini Lopez -astounding.. In factory burgundy mist no less.. Wish I still had it..

Jay Turser JT 133..Sounded pretty good because I installed 2 PRS McCarty pickups... Played like crap, wouldn't intonate. A poor guitar..

Hamer Echotone.. A worse guitar than the Turser, and it sounded bad as well.. Truly terrible guitar...

Agile AS 820.. Looked nice, sounded awful, didn't play that well, heavy as hell.. Installed GFS Dream 90's, and it sounded even worse.. Just a dead sounding, heavy guitar with no sustain, and no resonance.. Bad guitar..

Univox 335 type... awful...

60's Guild Starfire !V.. Very nice guitar.. Not as good as a 335 from the era.. Frets were smaller, pickups not as good as what Gibson used in the 60's, but still a really nice semi..

1967 Ric 335... Great guitar if you like hard to play narrow necks with tiny frets, and twangy single coils...

1966 Ric 365... Great Ric that sounded MUCH better than the Ric 335.. Played better too... I really miss it...

1966 Fender Coronado... Very cool guitar with a cool sound, but would feed back uncontrollably at stage volume due to the full hollow body... Nowhere near the guitar a 335 was...

1978 Fender Starcaster.. As good a sounding guitar as I have ever had in my life... All the body, resonance,growl and sustain of a great 335, full of complex harmonics at ALL volume levels, yet still had that incredible "Twang" of a great 60's tele..

I have no idea how Fender pulled it off, but that was an astoundingly good axe, and I am so sorry i sold it... Theres a reason you pay a fortune for them these days.. Those old 70's Fender humbuckers were some of the very best humbuckers ever

made .

Epiphone MIJ Elitist 335.. A wonderful guitar that sounded and played the way a good 335 should.. Better than the Gibson 335 during those years IMHO..

Also had many 12 string Semis..

Ric 360/12- Great is all I can say..

Ric 370/12-Not as great as the 360, but still good

Ric 330/12-Good, but didn't have the sound of the others

60's Guild Starfire 12.. an amazing good 12 string semi.. Great sound, and the best intonation and action of any electric 12 I have ever owned.. I miss it a lot...

Eastwood Classic 12.. This is a copy of a Gretsch Country Gent 12 string.. MIC.. A nice enough guitar I guess, but still had that heavy body with no resonance, and generic sounding pickups that so many Asian guitars today have..

60's Hagstrom Viking 12.. A very cool semi thats rare in the extreme... Not a great sounding 12, but not bad, but didn't play as well as some others..

The majority of these semi hollow guitars have come and gone in the last 10 or so years.. I loved them all except for the real clunkers- [Agile/ Hamer Echotone/Turser/Univox], and some of them I miss terribly and wish I still had them..

[starcaster/ 67 ES 335/ Trini/Ric 365/Ric 360-12/Guild Starfire 12]

I LOVE a good semi hollow double cutaway, regardless of who makes it... I guess the key word here is GOOD... Some just aren't... bob

R

Archived