The trouble with Tru-Oil ...

StompBoxLover

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tru-Oil is the only thing I use for a finish. And I'll have to disagree with Quarter, I think it's way easier than nitro
:D

Here's a Mahogany LP Studio I converted to a wrap bridge a couple years back. Put a Tru-Oil finish over the stock finish after the conversion.

vm_studio2.jpg

Looks awesome

I think Quarter was referring to getting a mirror finish. Getting that mirror finish with Tru-oil is a battle

• Members

FWIW, I was able to get the same semi-shiny finish on my VMLP by using Virtuoso polish. How well did the Tru-oil grain fill for you?

Tru-Oil is the only thing I use for a finish. And I'll have to disagree with Quarter, I think it's way easier than nitro
:D

Here's a Mahogany LP Studio I converted to a wrap bridge a couple years back. Put a Tru-Oil finish over the stock finish after the conversion.

vm_studio2.jpg

• Members

Did the Tru-oil ever fully set up on the rosewood?

I put some Tru-oil on a neck with a rosewood fretboard; a few hours later the maple side of the neck was cured while the rosewood was still tacky 3 weeks later. It did make the rosewood color pop but what a PITA it was getting the sticky uncured Tru-oil off the fretboard...

I just started oiling a rosewood neck today
:)
. I actually put one coat of oil on the board itself. it's a light enough coat that you don't feel it, but it makes the wood look awesome and makes it slighter easier to clean off. After that, I usually do oil the sides of the rosewood only with the rest of the neck. It's forgiving enough that if you get some on the top of the fretboard, you can usually quickly even it all out with a fresh cloth

• Members

I put some Tru-oil on a neck with a rosewood fretboard; a few hours later the maple side of the neck was cured while the rosewood was still tacky 3 weeks later. It did make the rosewood color pop but what a PITA it was getting the sticky uncured Tru-oil off the fretboard...

from the Birchwood Casey brochure, section Trouble Shooting, that came with the Tru-Oil:

"Tru-Oil will not dry if applied over an oil-emitting wood (like rosewood, ebony, exotic woods) or lubricating oil, tung oil, or linseed oil."

• Members

you want to buff it out with 0000 steel wool. after that, the tackiness will go away and the wood still retains that rich color

• Members

from the Birchwood Casey brochure, section Trouble Shooting, that came with the Tru-Oil:

"Tru-Oil will not dry if applied over an oil-emitting wood (like rosewood, ebony, exotic woods) or lubricating oil, tung oil, or linseed oil."

Well, there was the answer. Too bad my bottle didn't come with a brochure. I had Googled "Tru-oil + rosewood" and didn't come up with anything concrete, yet I had seen examples of people who had done it. Live and learn :thu:

• Members

Well, there was the answer. Too bad my bottle didn't come with a brochure. I had Googled "Tru-oil + rosewood" and didn't come up with anything concrete, yet I had seen examples of people who had done it. Live and learn
:thu:

done it a few times. doing it now. maybe your rosewood is extra oily ;):idk:

• Members

real world experience: 1

Tru-Oil brochure: 0

:thu:

sort of. I mean, without buffing it with something to take away that extra sheen, it will stay a little tackier. The trick is to get that top layer off. After that i have never noticed any residue or anything. I use it on ebony as well more often than rosewood as I tend not to build guitars with rosewood boards.

• Members

FWIW, I was able to get the same semi-shiny finish on my VMLP by using Virtuoso polish. How well did the Tru-oil grain fill for you?

As above, I didn't try to do any grain filling on this one. This pic doesn't really reveal the shininess of the finish. It's much more than semi-shiny. I did a Virtuoso polish treatment prior to this and there's much more shine with the Tru-Oil.

I did another Tru-Oil project where I went for the mirror finish but I used regular grain filler on that first so I can't really comment on how the T-O works for grain filling.

• Members

done it a few times. doing it now. maybe your rosewood is extra oily
;):idk:

The only reason I even tried the TO on rosewood is because it was the driest fretboard I'd ever seen. No life/depth to it at all.

Some 0000 steel wool and acetone took off the stickiness and left some depth of color.

• Members

I'm doing experiments on a scrap chunk of SA. It seems to me now that a reasonable way to achieve a shiny finish where the grain doesn't show through would be something like 5 coats, sand, 5 coats, sand, 5 coats, sand lightly, coat or two. I tried the grain filling thing atrox suggested but can't quite get the hang of it. Maybe it works better when the pores are large..

And welcome back DC.

• Members

I'm doing experiments on a scrap chunk of SA. It seems to me now that a reasonable way to achieve a shiny finish where the grain doesn't show through would be something like 5 coats, sand, 5 coats, sand, 5 coats, sand lightly, coat or two. I tried the grain filling thing atrox suggested but can't quite get the hang of it. Maybe it works better when the pores are large..

And welcome back DC.

yeah... it's a battle. On something like mahogany, you really need to push that sludge into in the grain. On something with tight grain, it shouldn't really take much

• Members

yeah... it's a battle. On something like mahogany, you really need to push that sludge into in the grain. On something with tight grain, it shouldn't really take much

I have some gunstock experience but never did a guitar in Tru-Oil. I always used polyurethane as a grain filler first when going for a glassy finish. I applied the poly with a foam brush, let is set for a bit to thicken to a syrup and then wiped off across the grain. I used a 0000 steel wool to remove any that remained on the surface and then used the Tru-Oil. It really sped up the process and cut the coats required in half.

The idea of never using an oil-based penetrating finish comes from the world of acoustic instruments. The school of thought was the wood is seasoned and dried for both dimensional stability and to enhance its acoustic properties. Applying a deep pentrating oil finish or stain deadens the acoustic properties of the wood. The finishes were mostly lacquer based and dyes were dissolved in the lacquer to impart the color. If you chipped the finish, the wood underneath was white. The "French Polish" finish is shellac which does not penetrate the wood either. Oil is only used in the padding process as a lubricant so as not to lift the previous shellac coat.

Archived