Guitar setup for WEAK hands

bullhead

• Members

Hey guys,

So this might sound kinda weird, but bear with me a moment. 

So I met this girl who is, basically, the coolest person ever and played guitar rabidly for a number of years. She was diagnosed with a treatment-resistant condition which makes her hands extrmely weak, meaning she can't play. She has a tattoo with her first guitar and bass flanked by angel wings like they're dead children, and doesn't really talk about it very much so it clearly burns her up. 

The question is this: what kind of things could I possibly do to make it so she can play? Some of the obvious ones are thinner strings, lower action, etc, but what other tricks can help? I'm not a great setup guy, but I can do some of the basics (minor truss adjustments, bridge lowering, etc) so any specific tips would be really helpful.

Thanks. 

• Members

Only other thing I can think of is tune it all down a semitone (or possibly a full tone, never tried that) and get it back to pitch with capo on frets one or two respectively which would take a bit more tension off and also have the effect of a zero fret.

• Members

bullhead wrote:

Hey guys,

So this might sound kinda weird, but bear with me a moment. 

So I met this girl who is, basically, the coolest person ever and played guitar rabidly for a number of years. She was diagnosed with a treatment-resistant condition which makes her hands extrmely weak, meaning she can't play. She has a tattoo with her first guitar and bass flanked by angel wings like they're dead children, and doesn't really talk about it very much so it clearly burns her up. 

The question is this: what kind of things could I possibly do to make it so she can play? Some of the obvious ones are thinner strings, lower action, etc, but what other tricks can help? I'm not a great setup guy, but I can do some of the basics (minor truss adjustments, bridge lowering, etc) so any specific tips would be really helpful.

Thanks. 

That is sad. I can't imagine not being able to play.

I had a student who couldn't play in normal position so he (and I during the lesson) played lap-style.

How long has it been since she could play?

What kind of guitar?

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

I had a customer with MS and we set her up with a classical. She did well with it.

Depending on how her hands are you might look for a nylon string with a narrow neck, more of a strat profile. They're not as common, but they're out there.

I like the suggestion for slide.

• Members

I have a Fender Jaguar HH with 24 inch scale and I use size nine strings. It is by far the easiest playing guitar that I have.

Today only MF has their SDOTD on a Fender Modern Player Jaguar for $299. It has 24 inch scale neck.

And how about this one, A Rogue Rocketeer RR50 7/8 Scale Electric Guitar for $79.99. 3-1/4" scale neck and one pickup for simplicity. I imagine that this guitar would be a little easier to play than the 24 inch scaled Jaguar.

Archived