Agile/SX/Douglas owners... this guy wants to whup ur ass

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what part of the Asian guitar industry Agile guitars come from, if they're from one of the Chinese factories or if they're Korean.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Spec is spec whether its met in the US, Canada, Germany or a CNC shop in India. Making production guitars is not a rarefied proprietary skill as the instrument fetishists like to believe. Add certain refinements to spec, cost goes up. Remove certain refinements from spec, cost goes down. The objective is to find a cost/quality equallibrium where you arrive at 'good enough' for the least possible money.

Go on AliBaba and shop, bid your spec around and be floored at how many Asians can make precisely what you want at whatever spec you desire for a price that is literally 1/10th what the EXACT SAME THING would cost to be made here in the United States. Fender realized this in the 80's when the Japanese could make a better guitar than Fender for less money so they farmed it out ... but shortly realized just how much weight superstition and 'marketing beliefs' has in the guitar world. See, it doesn't actually matter what's credibly 'better' or 'worse'. What matters is how people 'feel' about their purchase. There's a {censored}load of money to be made in that intellectual cess-pool. For some people 'good enough' is an alien concept. To them, the smug, internal satisfaction of knowing that a family of Black Forrest craftsmen toiled for weeks to craft their $1100 tuning keys is what its all about. Not what the tuning keys are actually supposed to accomplish.

The morons chanting their dated old mantras about the magical powers of US guitarmaking aren't very intelligent or rational people. Perhaps they're just reallty inexperienced. Either way, the world we live in today is very different than the world of yesteryear. If you need simplifying idealogies in your life in order to purchase things, expect people smarter than you to exploit that and get you to pay more for the exact same thing that could be had elsewhere for less money.

I know I rant about this all the time but I'm starting to appreciate what Galileo must've felt when he realized the earth revolved around the sun while every shreiking retard  insisted that the good lord god wouldn't ever allow such a thing.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

I know I rant about this all the time but I'm starting to appreciate what Galileo must've felt when he realized the earth revolved around the sun while every shreiking retard  insisted that the good lord god wouldn't ever allow such a thing.

Lat bit really made me chuckle.  I can't tell you how many times I said something completely factual only to have people look at me like I have two heads. :D

• Members

Gitter wrote:

I don't know what part of the Asian guitar industry Agile guitars come from, if they're from one of the Chinese factories or if they're Korean.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Spec is spec whether its met in the US, Canada, Germany or a CNC shop in India. Making production guitars is not a rarefied proprietary skill as the instrument fetishists like to believe. Add certain refinements to spec, cost goes up. Remove certain refinements from spec, cost goes down. The objective is to find a cost/quality equallibrium where you arrive at 'good enough' for the least possible money.

That's a lot of truth right there.   I picked up one of those horrible Agiles recently and it is easily as good or better than most of the Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the years for a fraction of the cost (literally less than 1/10th of what the last LP Standard I owned cost).  

If it plays good and sounds good it is good and no amount of Hide Glue and Analine Dye false mojo will change that.

• Members

@dark horse

It was meant to be a comment on his growing interest in grove. If his do you prefer x to y thread blitz was anything to go by we could get another 600 of them. On reflection I see that may not have been obvious.

PS this thread is monitored but kitchen adverts are good for a couple of days?

• Members

knotty wrote:

@dark horse

It was meant to be a comment on his growing interest in grove. If his do you prefer x to y thread blitz was anything to go by we could get another 600 of them. On reflection I see that may not have been obvious.

PS this thread is monitored but kitchen adverts are good for a couple of days?

Knot-- its not like I am storing my lawn furniture in your basement for the winter....if you don't like one of my x vs. y threads... then move on..... no skin off your balls.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Oh Dr. Scottie C that's just silly. You know very well that channel is 100% fantasy.

Blasphemy!!...on 9/11/01 they reported that the Twin Towers came down.... that was true, they did.... everything else that came out of the pimp & prostitutes mouths on the Faux News couch after that = fairytale.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

You know Gitter, good points aside, the whole implication of autism and retardation thing you do is annoying, immature, and kinda offensive to people that have autistic loved ones. Just saying.

Where are the good points?

He can be summed up in two sentences: "I love Charvel guitars and Republicans. I hate anyone who is not at my intellectual level, which is 99.99% of the human race." -- Spitter

• Members

He makes a valid point that you should base your gear choices on what actually sounds best rather than what hype would have you believe sounds best.

But then he goes a little overboard with the whole condescending attitude and proclamations of pure logic, when in reality, he has subjective preferences like anyone else.

• Members

Sorry, Mr. Grove. The only hate I see spewing around here is coming from you.

Or maybe you'd like to come down tomorrow and help me restock the food pantry? After that we'll delivering some appliances to GASP! a family of down on their luck Mexican Americans for Catholic Charities. ONOZ the dreaded brown people! They're cousins to my best friend Mr. Lopez!! Oh, gads, he's one of THEM, too, isn't he? My dear old departed daddy grand wizard of the klan must be rolling over in his grave!

Oh, wait, he was the one who lobbied the state legislature back in the day to desegregate bathrooms because he was sick and tired of seeing his business partner, the dreaded black man, turned away at the gas station when he had to take a leak after building houses all day. Yes, that's right. His business partner. Not his employee. Not his house boy. His partner.

Shut your yap, tool. Go accuse somebody else with your race baiting bull{censored}. **** like you give real civil rights leaders a bad name. Go ahead and cry wolf all you like. Some of us actually roll up our sleeves and work to make a difference in people's lives instead of yapping like a toy poodle about **** you have no knowledge of.

I'll tell you about some hate. My grandfather stood guard on horseback in front of St. Joseph's in the 1920s to keep the fukking klan from burning the parish hall down. He also helped local black leaders escape town in the middle of the fukking night when the white robes were looking to lynch somebody. That's right. He put his own damn neck on the line for what he believed was right. Don't you dare sit there in your troll cave and pretend to lecture me about hate, son. I've been there. I've done it. My family has walked the walk for three generations and I'll be damned if I allow some two bit asshat loudmouth drag my name through the mud and accuse me of the very thing I've fought my entire life to eradicate.

It's precisely dimwits like you that make our job that much harder by making **** up about people you have absolutely no knowledge of. We're out here fighting real battles against real discrimination while sit there and pretend to know things that you've never experienced. The REAL civil rights leaders know that indiscriminately pointing fingers at people only hurts our cause and we choose our battles wisely. We don't charge into situations where nothing exists. That does nothing but serve to reinforce those we seek to educate about right and wrong. Lobbing verbal grenades at people serves no purpose. If you want to help end racism, join in. But you're going about it the wrong way.

You owe me an apology. I'll be waiting right here for it.

• Members

Ok, after listening to the idiot rant, I do agree with a few things he says.

Yes, I have seen Agiles with misplaced bridges. Also seen PRS with the same problem. And Gibsons. And Samicks. And just about every guitar brand out there, including a Martin once.

I happen to like Samick too.

I have always felt that Gibson was making overpriced copies of copies of copies, since the mid 70's.

Same with Fenders. I mean come on, how many versions of a strat does there have to be?

But he is just a bit on the insane side. Is he a member of Congress?

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

On one point, I will agree with Groves. There are some dumb motherfukkers posting in this thread.

Who let you guys out of ultimate guitar?

Are you off your meds?   Lighten up ,there's no need to take everything so serious.

• Members

This guy may impress or intimidate beginner-intermediate skilled level players, but truth is, this guy is full of himself / in his " little  bubble of superiority and uses his so called "status" to stand on his soap box bashing people with limited playing skills and knowledge of gear. 

I have a student that owns an Agile  AL 2000      http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000floyd.html  

... and the guitar is pretty good. In fact , I found it a really good guitar that's as good as any Gibson or Les Paul copy ( I own Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls).

This guy seems to be worse than Ed Roman ( who I met, and he turned out to be a great guy, R.I.P. Ed). 

But this guy reminds me of the folks back in the late 1970's / early 1980's, who said Carvin, Jackson, Kramer, Randall, Peavey and other gear, were nothing but garbage...... I say this guy is entitled to his opinions and we are entitled to ours.

He looks a lot like a Pawnee guy, I knew named "Big Bear".

Archived