On a Danelectro kick, post some pics of your Danos here.

citizens_X

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

You say "Hornet," Google says "Dead On '67 Reissue."

Who knows? Not me. I just know that as I was shopping cabinets, it caught my eye and the pickups were absolutely fantastic - amazing sounds. $150; sold. Just got it Tuesday July 3rd.

It's in ok shape - nothing unplayable, but the vibrato was just a rivet and flops like a dead fish. Which is alright; it actually does an upward gliss well, which is something I like to do. And there are a few cosmetic flaws.

The things that have floored me besides the pickups are that the bridge actually seems to work - I mean, that just looks so sketchy, but the intonation is spot-on perfect.

And the fretboard is an aircraft carrier deck: 14" radius! 1.65" at the nut ... and a profile that would make an Ibanez product manager proud: it's thin. Action's too fast; there's a tiny buzz on the 4th fret when I restrung with 10's, I'll think about going to 11's or doing a teensy turn of the truss rod (next to no relief at the moment) once it settles a bit.

"Dead On" as in the accuracy of the reissue....'67 for the year... and a reissue of what? the Hornet thumb.gif

Danelectro made guitars for Silvertone and Coral, your guitar is a reissue of the Coral Hornet.

here are some pics of a vintage Hornet.

hornet-5.jpg

hornet-6.jpg

Here's a link you may find interesting.thumb.gif

http://drowninginguitars.com/2012/02...hornet-guitar/

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

You say "Hornet," Google says "Dead On '67 Reissue."

Who knows?

For some unknown reason Evets mucked up the names on these recent reissues. The guitar they call the Dead-On was originally a Coral brand [also owned by Danelectro] called the "Hornet":

1970s-coral-hornet-vincent-bell-model-gu

The reissue they call the "Hornet" was a Silvertone brand [also made by Danelectro] and went by the model numbers 1448 (1 pickup) and 1457 (2 pickup) and was sometimes referred to as the "Wasp."

• Members

My old 1448. I added a string-thru Supro lapsteel pickup, refretted it, and carved a compensated saddle for it. I have the amp-in-case, too, but the speaker is shot.

DSC00719.jpg

My old Convertible. Previous owner had attempted to paint it, then sanded it back off.

DSC00723.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarSlim101

View Post

My old 1448. I added a string-thru Supro lapsteel pickup, refretted it, and carved a compensated saddle for it. I have the amp-in-case, too, but the speaker is shot.

DSC00719.jpg

My old Convertible. Previous owner had attempted to paint it, then sanded it back off.

DSC00723.jpg

Those 1448's have one of the sweetest tones on the planet.

Serious mojo in that convertible.

• Members

I just love these guitars. Seriously - all of them.

Had a friend over last night who was really enjoying the Dead On through a US Blues Deluxe; siiiiick toanz. He and I were wondering something that I'm sure someone on here must know: why hasn't Danelectro ever given up on the craptastic bridges? I 'get' the whole particle-board body thing, the flight-deck fretboards, the tape-binding, but it seems like if you're going to get *that close* to having a cool, affordable players' guitar, wouldn't you put another $20 into a proper bridge? Are they considered THAT "signature" that they are reluctant to do otherwise? Anyone ever do the unthinkable and put a real bridge/mod a Dano?

• Members

There is an after-market intonable bridge and Evets has put them on a few of their reissues. I've swapped out a rosewood and much prefer being able to play in tune.

But - and it's a big BUT - there are those that swear by the rosewood bridge as the only way to get close to the vintage tone and will argue that to the death.

• Members

I guess I'm not that religious about *kind and gentle* mods to guitars (not into ones that annihilate the original concept/structural integrity). I'm fortunate in that the Dead-On (should I call it a "Hornet RI?") is very, very well intoned. Feels accidental on a Dano.

If the tones that are coming out of it are due to the rosewood - so be it. I'm not that parts-nerdy to know. I'm all about what I'm hearing.

After the post, did see a replacement bridge online ... somehow, made me feel a little sad inside. Maybe battling the craptastic bridge is part of the experience?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I fargin' LOVE Danos an hope to have a Longhorn Bass again someday.

My only problem with Danos is that they are so small. I really planned to get one of the Pro 1 reissues, but after playing one, the body was just so tiny and the scale length shorter than I like.

I remember back in the early 80s there was a guitar shop in Tulsa that had literaly racks of original old Danos and Silvertones for like $50-$75 a pop.

• Members

I was really interested in the Pro but with the body shape you don't access to a lot the higher frets so it would make it difficult for me to do some of the solos I do with the band.

I'll likely still get one but it's not at the top of the list for me.

I have a longhorn bass though and really love it!love.gif

• Members

Years ago, I had looked at buying a Danelectro but was concerned about the construction. The guitar was feather light even compared to the Peavey Raptor that I was playing at the time. I didn't buy the guitar because the sales help was actually no help at all. I read one post that the body is constructed of particle board. Is this true? Oh, by the way, I still own the Peavey Raptor. Even though I haven't played it in years, I still can't bear to part with it.

Archived