About how much does the average Les Paul weigh?

• Members

Yes, and remember there are large holes drilled in that body to get the weight that low.

Until they switched to the chambered LP's last year, a "light" Les Paul is consider around the 9 lbs. range. Gibson hand selects the solid backs for their Historic range to try and keep them in the 9-10 lbs. range without any weight relief. Many of the heaviest LP's are over 11 lbs., especially Norlin-era LPC's. 10 lbs. or so would be considered fairly average.

Now, with the chambering, I believe the average for newer Standards is around 9 lbs. or so.

• Members

They vary all over the place. My Orville is light. Around 7 or 8 pounds but for some reason it has great rounded tone. My Greco custom is heavy as {censored}. Not sure exactly but my guess would be 11 pounds + or - a pound. Sounds great too. Which kind of goes against the reputation I've heard for overly heavy LP's being dogs.

The modern Gibsons I've played in stores have seemed light to me...classics standards and traditional. None of them blew my mind but they sounded very nice. The one early 80's custom I tried was the heaviest guitar I've ever felt and sounded like absolute {censored}. Which supports the the overly heavy idea.

Moral? Play it. If it sounds good then who cares how much it weighs.

• Members

I like 'em around 9 pounds.

My swiss cheese Standard weighs in at about 9 and a half, as does my Classic.

My Edwards weighs in at 8 pounds, dont know if it's weight relieved.

my Tokai love rock comes in at about 10 pounds, and my Heritage CM150 is a little heavier than that.

:thu:

• Members

Scales.

stand on 'em with the guitar, then subtract your body weight.

I guess, Coz my body weight and a Les paul is too much for our scales....

:thu:

My bathroom scale isn't very accurate.

I was thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4328456&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4328456

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Just read this thread and wanted to respond to:  How do you weigh a guitar?  The best, most accurate way I have found to weigh a guitar is using a digital fish scale.  I don't hang the guitar by a single tuning machine (bad idea), I use a piece of soft and strong string tied with a bowline knot so it won't slip and put that around the headstock and bottom most pair of tuning machines and then onto the hook for the scale.  It only takes a second or two to get a reading and I keep my hand close to the neck just in case.  You can get a very accurate scale for around $20. 

We all just want to know what our guitar weighs, so I list the weight for each guitar on my website.   I notice that the big manufacturers don't list weights.  Probably because every instrument turns out a little different.  The truth is, if you like it's looks and it sounds great when you are playing you really won't care that much about what it weighs. 

• Members

I used a  postal scale to figure out the weights of the guitars I own.  (after the post I made here)

I just put the bottom on the scale and supported behind the neck lightly with my finger in a way in which there was no possibility of my adding weight to the guitar.    Works perfectly.  I seriously doubt a hanging scale would give me a different number. 

My Orville ended up weighing 8 pounds even, and my greco came in at a hefty 10.8 pounds.

I think the most important factor is the percision of the scale being used if one wants an accurate number for the weight. 

Archived