OT for EG - What amps do you want?

Visconti

• Members

I think I agree with Visconti here. Vintage amps are cool for collecting, I think, but speakers (among other things) only last so long. And then we've got all this modeling technical which can sound great. I wouldn't reject a vintage amp if it sounded good, or even if it wasn't all original, but I'd probably be shopping for a used one that's within its first 10 years of use if I was in the market.

• Members

I'd like an Allan Amps Sweet Spot, but I might grab something similar if I find the right deal. Don't really want to dish out for a new one. I agree with the above sentiment regarding boutique vs. Vintage, at least to some degree.

Also, not an amp per se, but I have need of something that emulates an amp for silent jamming. I'm leaning towards one of those Tech 21 character pedals.

• Members

Have my eye on a Marsh Bassman repro.  Anyone have any experience of his amps?

Kayd-mon, I'm sorry, but modeling just isn't anywhere close to the better sounds from vintage and/or boutique amps.  Can you get away with it at a club?  Sure.  Recording and/or more sound-focused venues?  I haven't yet heard a modeler that doesn't sound a bit digital.  There are missing overtones.

I do agree, though, that a lot of vintage stuff is replicated by boutique amps.  And I also agree that there are plenty of affordable, fantastic vintage pieces out there.  It's all about value.  Just like guitars, some are inflated.  Some aren't.

• Members

@danhedonia

I don't think I meant to equate "tradional" amps and modelers, though it seems like it. I think what I was thinking was that I'd rather get either a newer reissue, clone, or even boutique amp over a vintage one, because the new amps might be built with the components you'd use to restore a vintage one. And then if you really needed the vibe of some old amp, but dropping $1k+ on a one-time use thing isn't feasible, there's modeling for that. I prefer a regular amp, but I use direct to mixer modeling sometimes depending on the situation.

• Members

I'm really happy with my Blackstar HT-5 and Orange Tiny Terror. Those two amps fulfill the major sounds I like to make.

I'm very curious about the Yamaha THR10X. The demo clip from that guy from Steel Panther was funny and quite impressive. He was pulling some great sounds out. That might be my next amp. The only other amp I have any gas for is an old Marshall Lead 12 5005 combo.

In the future, I'd like a Marshall JCM800 2203 to replace one I sold when I quit playing many years ago. But I don't currently have a 4x12, and there's no way I'm getting that amp without a 4x12 to put underneath it. So financially (and space-wise) that amp is barely a blip on the gas list.

I'm currently gassing for an Avatar 1x12 cab with a V30, so I can pair it with my Greenback cab. Maybe I can make that happen for Christmas, who knows.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

@danhedonia

I don't think I meant to equate "tradional" amps and modelers, though it seems like it. I think what I was thinking was that I'd rather get either a newer reissue, clone, or even boutique amp over a vintage one, because the new amps might be built with the components you'd use to restore a vintage one. And then if you really needed the vibe of some old amp, but dropping $1k+ on a one-time use thing isn't feasible, there's modeling for that. I prefer a regular amp, but I use direct to mixer modeling sometimes depending on the situation.

Except that a lot of modern amps use circuit board layouts, not point-to-point wiring.  I know that it works just as well new, but it is a lot easier to deal with the upkeep on an old P2P amp.

Also, it can be hard to find something that sounds as good as an old Jensen 120e, 120k or 120d speaker, though there are some modern "soundalikes" that come close. 

Archived