Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not really a big deal to me, and I expected some filler....but most of the reviews I read went out of their way to state that the inlays were flawlessly installed. I guess my point is, that if only mine were that way it would bother me. I do believe the guitar is unbelievable for the price...I was really impressed with the fret work...

• Members

Oh one more thing: Am I the only guy who likes the sound of my Agiles right out of the box? My CSB2500 with humbuckers sounds the same as my Les Paul right out of the box through my Fender tube amp. I replaced the P90's in my other CSB2500 and ended up going back to the originals because they sounded better. I've given up replacing the pickups in any of these guitars because they sound great the way they are. I do play with the pickup heights a bit......

• Members

My LP2000 sounded good OTB, but didn't work very well when I took it to rehearsal. A set of Mastertone vHO's solved that problem big time.

The DC pups weren't impressive. Even my wife made a snipe at it and she thinks all of my guitars sound the same.

Haven't plugged the 970 in yet but I'm hoping these pups sound good. I've got a set of Duncan Pearly Gates that I'll be installing mainly cause I want the series/parallel capability. I'm hoping the stock pups are good though 'cause I've got a 12-stringer that's in desperate need. :(

• Members

Here's a thread by gnugear where he posted a clip played by his agile. He did replace the stock pickups, I think that was the only modification.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393305

Some very nice tones from the guitar and amp. Just goes to show an expensive guitar isn't always necessary for great tone.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Oh one more thing: Am I the only guy who likes the sound of my Agiles right out of the box? My CSB2500 with humbuckers sounds the same as my Les Paul right out of the box through my Fender tube amp. I replaced the P90's in my other CSB2500 and ended up going back to the originals because they sounded better. I've given up replacing the pickups in any of these guitars because they sound great the way they are. I do play with the pickup heights a bit......

Both my Agiles are stock. I had every intent to swap out the pickups on my first one (a DC) but was pleasantly suprised when I got the axe.

I may change pups down the road, but that simply would be a matter of taste, not because the stocks pups are lacking in any way.

• Members

drjeff,

The reason why I own an Agile is pretty simple. I bought the top-of-the-line 2800 DLX Flame for $289.00 and added Rio Grande pickups for $140.00. I will soon be adding new pots, a switch, an output jack and caps for a grand total, complete cost of $455.00.

When finished, I will have a guitar with better pickups than a Gibson, electronics that are equal to a Gibson, and a tone that will at least equal and actually best most Gibsons. The neck feel is so good that although it's not a Gibson, I don't notice it.

The areas where much of the cost cutting is involved (not withstanding where the guitar is made), are those which do not affect the guitars playability or tone (or my sensibilities). Yes, the Gibsons have a superior lacquer finish (IMO). Yes, the Gibsons have a mahogany neck; although with much of the worlds really good mahogany gone a 1-piece mahogany neck might not be better. Yes, the attention to detail, fit and finish are better on the Gibsons. Will the Gibson sound better? In a word, NO. Is the Gibson worth $1500.00 more than my Agile? Not to me.

When I could hardly afford it, I owned Gibsons and Fenders. Now that I can afford Gibsons I don't buy them. Why?... because I don't play out much anymore, I'm not driven to own a "name guitar", and most importantly; I have alternatives today that were not available in the past.

I like Gibsons. I think they're great guitars. But for what I've got at the price I paid, I like my Agile better.

• Members

That sounds great Burgess! I really wanted to pick up one of the Gold Top P-90's when they were offered, but I had already bought too many other things on my GAS list. It's time for a little gear cleansing to make room for more.

As good as Rio Grande's humbuckers sound, I'd imagine that their P-90's are equally great representations of that pickup type. I've always loved P-90 tone from "Mississippi Queen" by Leslie West to "Old Judge Jones" by Les Dudek. Great raw, gnarly overdriven tone. I'm sure you'll have more to report once you've had more time with the new set up.

Let's see...Rondo is supposed to get more GT's with P-90's in December....my wife will be asking what I want for Christmas soon...it's just a matter of time and unfamiliar patience...

• Members

here's my LP2000, the only thing I've replaced on it is the toggle switch (it was broken on arrival). everything else is stock. it sounds and plays great. while I love my gibson, it doesn't stay in tune as well and I prefer to leave it at home when gigging. these things are just awesome. now I want a goldtop for a backup.

• Members

I've got a P90 gold top due on monday 8/11. I thought that they were out too, and it would make a nice Christmas present for myself..so I I put myself on the waiting list and about 2 days later, I got a shipping notice...:D
So we will see. I have a 78 Goldtop and a LP Special already, now I have a goldtop with P90s! The best of both I guess..I'll let everyone know how it is!!

Oceait

• Members
Originally posted by AmpliFIRE

Claim to own the real deal?!?!?! Why do you own a cheapo Hamer Stellar? You have one post and are a friggin troll
:mad:

Don't confuse the Korean-made Hamer Stellar with the Chinese-made Hamer SLAMMER series. The Stellar is probably similar to your Agile guitars. I am thinking about upgrading it (the Duncan Designed PUPs don't work very well for me), but I know that I would, like many of you, want to add some good hardware. If I get decent pickups, I'm gonna have to redo the wiring harness and the pots. Then, the nut will need to be replaced. Is it worth it? This is one of the reasons that I am snooping aroung your thread. More feedback and advice please.

• Members

Originally posted by drjeff

...I am thinking about upgrading it (the Duncan Designed PUPs don't work very well for me), but I know that I would, like many of you, want to add some good hardware. If I get decent pickups, I'm gonna have to redo the wiring harness and the pots. Then, the nut will need to be replaced. Is it worth it? This is one of the reasons that I am snooping aroung your thread. More feedback and advice please.

If the guitar sounds good unplugged, but crappy amplified, then yeah a new set of p'ups should do the trick. I've heard good and bad about Duncan Designed pups.

Hardware? I usually change the switch on an import if it's the cheap box style. I'll change the output jack if it doesn't have a positive feel to it. I like to know I'm plugged in. If the guitar's tuning is stable I don't mess with the tuners.

If this is a guitar you're going to play and you want good sound, good play with reliability, then it's worth it. Realize though if you go to sell this guitar you will never recover the money you put into it. Nobody cares how good the guitar sounds and plays to you. To them it's just a cheap import and there's one just like it on an EBay search for $200 less.

• Members

I got my Agile from rondo about 3 weeks ago. LP2500 Cherry Burst. Incredible value! Beautiful guitar. I just threw in a Duncan 59 neck and the Duncan 59 bridge is on the way. The sound from this guitar is intoxicating!!!

• Members
Originally posted by IKILLEDKENNY54

Is it me or what? Why does the SG copy AS2800 cost as much as a Les Paul copy? There is no arced top or body binding. I do not feel that they are as good a deal as the LP's.

I am still waiting for a white 2800 or 2500 LP though.

So let me see if I understand this...

A Gibson SG Supreme lists at $3100, sells for $2K.

So you think a budget copy of reasonable quality selling for $300 is not a good deal?

OK, that's your opinion. I can respect that.

I personally think it's a hell of a deal. 24 frets, mapletop, neck and headstock binding, gold h/w. That's a droolworthy axe IMO.

...but that's just me. I like cheap guits! :)

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

So let me see if I understand this...

A Gibson SG Supreme lists at $3100, sells for $2K.

So you think a budget copy of reasonable quality selling for $300 is not a good deal?

It's not that it not a good deal. I feel you get a lot more for your $ with the LP version :) Like I said it must be me.

I like SG guitars my initials are S. G. I own a few of the cheapie ones. Two of the Gibson fadeds, a Turser copy, Dearmond S73, and Squier S-73.

• Members

the SD 59 in the neck is a huge improvement! not that the stocks were bad but.... much more clarity and response, yet still PAF sounding. the SD 59 bridge is on its way so ill let you all know once it happens. i'm playing through an Orange crush 15 combo but a Fender Blues Jr is in the works... long live agile baby. oh by the way, i also put some strap locks on. good investment.

SD 59 in the neck is highly recommended. beautiful tone.

• Members

uh oh.... problem time... that age olde query... which one, goddamit?! :D .... lol... idn, i really want that 335 copy... but the sg supreme kicks major ass... and those lps smoke. but you know what really pisses me off? some of the ones that i would want most, like a ric copy, and that naked flame one that ikilledkenny has (drool) arent availiable anymore! which really, really sucks. where can i get ahold of these out-of-date agiles? theyre no where to be found on the bay of e, and idn where else to look. any suggestions? of, course, most of them are probably being held tight in someones hands. idn. but i really wanna get one! gas!

Archived