Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

Sweet Axe!

Got one just like it on the way! I'm also putting in a set of RG's. Creme Bastard/Fat Bastard P90 set. Looking forward to it.

anxious to hear your impressions of it with the P90s

:D

it's really nice with the Texas/BBQ combo

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ref|ex

anxious to hear your impressions of it with the P90s

:D

it's really nice with the Texas/BBQ combo

How different from stock with the BBQ combo?

This is my first experience with RG's but after researching them a little, didn't think I could go wrong. Don't have any P90 guits either so this looked like a good place to start and to be honest, I just thought the creme pu's would look just too cool in that axe!

• Members

The Texas/BBQ Rio's have more body than the stock pups. More dynamic and overall cleaner sounding when played hard. They really reveal nuances and micro-dynamics when you play real lightly. Makes it easier to bring out the feeling in your playing.

Don't get me wrong, the stocks sound pretty good, but I wanted to try this pair in another guitar and I think I've found them a permanent home. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Bloozcat

arnoldziffle,

Are you sure they use epoxy on the pickup covers and not wax potting? I want to take the covers off my pickups and move them to a set that I'm going to use as replacements. I hope it isn't epoxy.

Replacing the pots, the toggle switch, and the output jack with CTS and Switchcraft is a pretty inexpensive mod. It'll cost you under $25.00. See the link below for a good source for the parts at a good price:

Oh, yeah. Make mine a Crown and Coke....

I poked at the bead with my fingernail and it seemed solid. Seeing no solder joints, I guessed it was epoxy.

After upgrading the wiring and flipping the neck pickup (pole pieces facing bridge now), the pickups are now definitely keepers.

• Members

I wish I would have found this thread before I bought my Fernandes Monterey Elite. My local dealer caught me at a weak moment. I have a Strat and a Tele and was looking to round out my collection. He had a beat LP Jr Special that I played first, then he pulled the Monterey out of the back room and said " try this".. I was hooked.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Monterey but for the same price I could have bought an Agile Gold Top, a 2800, and half of a DC.
I still think I'll sneak a P90 Gold Top in when my wife's not looking.

• Members
Originally posted by arnoldziffle

I poked at the bead with my fingernail and it seemed solid. Seeing no solder joints, I guessed it was epoxy.

After upgrading the wiring and flipping the neck pickup (pole pieces facing bridge now), the pickups are now definitely keepers.

I took one of the covers off of my discarded LP2K pups. It was held on with hot glue.

• Members

Yep, those Goldtops are hard to resist. No way I can sneak 'em past my wife. She watches for packages like a kid at xmas.

Oh she'll rant! But she'll get over it. Anyway, everyone should have at least one P90 rig in their arsenal.

• Members

Yeah, I've never thought much about P90's 'til recently. So the Agile DC I've got on the way will be getting a pair of Rio Grandes.

Speaking of sneaking past the Mrs, she knows I've got one guitar coming but she doesn't there's a second. :eek:

• Members

arnoldziffle and Burgess,

Do you mean that the cover is attached to the base with glue on the backside of the pickup? The spot that normally has a bead of solder? If that's the case it's not a problem.

I was wondering if there was any wax potting on the underside of the cover where it attaches to the tops of the coils. A lot of pickups have wax there to prevent unnecessary noise and movement of the cover. I've seen some cheap pickups that used foam padding here as well.

I need to get my ass in gear (more like create some time) and put the Rio Grande's that I have in my 2800. I want to move the covers from the stock pickups to the Rio's, if they fit, that is (I hope there isn't any damn metric/inch mismatch).

• Members

Hey Bloozcat

Let me know how the cover swap goes when you put those Rios in, I am going to order pickups in a few weeks (my b-day is Aug 27) and I really like not having the open pickups on this rig. It looks sweet with the silver and dark blue...

Anyways... let me know.

Thanks
Pete

• Members

Yeah, that's the spot I was refering to. Mine is an older model, the LP2000, but its was the easiest PU cover I've ever removed. I think I just used a box-cutter.

I don't recall about wax on the cover itself. I know there was a mess of wax on the coils. I could check it this evening.

I actually intend to re-use som Agile pups. I have a 12-string Raven that has some truly crappy pu's and I think the Agile coils will be a MAJOR improvement. I'm thinking the open coils of the PS-970 might work well.

• Members

I'm going to re-use mine as well Burgess. I have a Samick Artist Series LS650CS LP copy that has some really awful ceramic magnet pickups in it. I wax potted them 'cause they squealed like a stuck pig, but I couldn't improve the tone any. The Alnico's from the 2800 should do really well in the Samick (Nato body) as it's a little brighter than the Agile. I already took the covers off the Samick PU's to put on the Agile Alnico's. The hardware is all gold on the Samick, and I want to maintain that stock appearance for when I sell the guitar (real soon!).

The funny part is that my wife hasn't noticed the Agile since I bought it because it's has a similar Cherry Sunburst finish to the Samick. Not that she would care, but it's fun to hide things in plain sight!

• Members

Originally posted by Bloozcat

I was wondering if there was any wax potting on the underside of the cover where it attaches to the tops of the coils.

I haven't taken apart the pups on my 2800, but when I adjusted the polepiece heights I had to clean off bits of wax, so yes, they're wax-potted.

• Members

Long Island Iced Tea bartender! and one a drink for my buddy next to me.

If anyone has played the Agile strats with the Tune-o-matic bridge I'd be interested in you opinion on the single coils and how they play. I've got a superstrat HH, but a nice Agile with some single coils may fit the budget. I'd like it for blues. Wondering specifically how the'd compare to a Highway 1 strat.

Thanks.

• Members

Believe it or not,
I was pretty shocked when I first saw it. Part of their Greg Bennett line. Though not even in the stratosphere of a Gibby Wes Montgomery, still more money than I'm willing to pay for a Samick at this point.

Kurt also carries Samicks and has a better price than I've seen for Samicks anywhere else. Wonder what he'd sell that axe for?

Thanks, Burgess. I think I'll check that out. But do you know where I could play one just to make sure it works the way I want it to?

Bartender, vodka and tonic

Archived