Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BrokenRomeo,

good question. The setup appears to be fine in these pictures, it doesn't appear to have a particularly high action but I can't tell on the headstock angle. The bridge kind of appears to be set practically flush against the body, or darn near close to it. Maybe you could email Rondo and ask them, and post the reply here:)
st702sb5a.jpgst702sb1.jpg

also, here's an ebay auction of Rondo's with more pictures: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549983191&category=2384

• Members

Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

I've been wondering about the Strats with the tunamatic...anyone know if they have modified the neck angle on those guitars to go with an LP style bridge...with a normal strat neck angle, it would be impossible to get a playable low action...the bridge has to sit too high, and the pickups would be too far below the strings...

My earlier post:

"I just got one too and agree with much of the above. I like the humbucker, but the sc's are too middy to get good neck/mid quack, and the bridge/mid position uses both coils of the hb: another quack killer. By themselves, the sc's are pretty harsh and raggy: I'd bet they are ceramics. The ash body should enhance the treble and clarity, so the base-sound of the p/u's must be VERY middy.

The action on mine was high too, and I also had to use up all the bridge travel to get it low enough. A reshim is in order at some point.

As to sustain and resonance, it has more of both than any strat I own: I have several. I love ash bodies, and the bridge is a real plus.

All in all, another great guitar from the Rondomen, but their sc's are not as good as their humbuckers, all of which are at least very good, if not excellent."

The pickups are strong, so the distance to the strings is not a problem. To get decent action, the bridge is just about all the way down, and the neck looks to have a shim already. (I haven't taken it apart yet) Still, I wouldn't call it a problem. The resonance and sustain make it worthwhile. Think of the strat sound with better-than-average sustain: it opens up possibilities styrats don't usually have. I find that I overplay on strats because the notes decay so quickly, but not with this guitar. It gives you notes you can listen to. Know what I mean?

• Members

Another round bar tender!

Thanks for the review of the Strats. I'm mainly looking for a good Single Coil sound and if the pickups aren't that great, for a strat it's not worth it to me to change out the pup's. Especially if the playability and action isn't the best. I'm not thrilled about the tune-o-matic either, though I suppose it was done to save costs. I'd prefer a trem or a tele style bridge.

• Members

Thanks for the info Acephelic. i also wanted pass along this tidbit: I emailed Rondo to ask about the pickup routing, and both models of ST's (the ash 902 and the Alder 702) are individually routed (SSS for the 702, HSS in 902). In my experience this is a selling point, because when you put in a swimming pool rout, you take a big chunk of wood away from the most important tone-generating area, right around the pickups. Fender has been doing swimming pool routs (though I've heard rumors they stopped in 98) even on their USA models (and MIM) for years.

I can definitely see looking at these Agile strats how the sustain and overall tone would be superior to a lot of higher priced strats. How big of an issue is the action? Can you give us an exact measurement of where your action is at the 12th fret with the bridge lowered all the way?

• Members

Originally posted by bassmantele

Banned from FDP forum

Last week I put a link to the Agile forum in a thread discussing Agile guitars. It disappeared. Now I've been booted.

The competition is taking notice.

You were really banned from the FDP? I better be careful there then. I've put up the Agile Forum link on Agile threads there before too. That's surprising and more than a little ridiculous of them, considering the number of Agile owners over there. That's where I heard about Agiles in the first place.

What did the moderators tell you when you asked why you were banned? (assuming that you asked)

That's crazy...the FDP isn't even owned by Fender, it's independent.

• Members

well now I can join. The Blue quilted 2500 arrived at my office this morning.

I was a little concerned at first, there was one heck of a string buzz on the bottom E. A quick glance confirned the neck had no relief what so ever. An 1/8th of a turn on the truss rod fixed that and now the buzz is gone. The action was a little too low for me as well but I will look at that later.

I have just spent an hour running the thing through my ac-15. It is nine pm over here and I don't want to any the neighbours by cranking things so it has been a low volume test. The ceramic pups are better than i expected though maybe a little harsh. I will have to see how things sound through the burman at thursdays rehearsal. They might be keepers though. I found the neck pup to be far louder than the bridge and so had to sink it down lower than I felt comfortable with. It ended with a perfectly usable sound.

Finish wise, what can is say! The guitar was secondhand and so has a little "buckle rash" apart from that it is spotless. Very little filler on the inlays and I cannot see any runs or blems in the paintjob. It is sitting in the living room between the Jazzmaster and the italia and it looks prettiest out of the bunch.

As for the electrics, The toggle selector feels a little cheap. I think that will need replacing soon. The pots are Ok quality and the soldering is tidy and clean.

So how does it weigh up? Well it is bloody heavy! The pups are not as "warm" to the trev wikinson designed alnicos in my italia. However they are a fair bit brighter and that should help prevent "mush". The neck is nice and chunky. With a nice D shape that is far fatter than the LP standard that Anne, my guitarist plays. Build wise it is easily as clean as my mij 96 jazzmaster.

Compared to my girls set neck epi v? Well, the agile just blows it away!

All in all I am a very happy bunny!
Oh and a double of Bombay neat over ice thanks

• Members

Congratulations on your new guitar. Did you get the Blue Quilt LP 2500 that was on fleabay? I have a Blue Quilt and I love it. I installed Bursbucker Pro pickups in mine. The stock pickups are pretty good, but I love a vintage-type tone. I am going to put Alnico magnets in my Agile pickups and see how they sound in a different guitar. My Agile came with the uncovered zebra pickups and no pickguard. The Blue Quilts look great without a pickguard.

gt5litre

• Members

Originally posted by gt5litre

Congratulationa on your new guitar. Did you get the Blue Quilt LP 2500 that was on fleabay? I have a Blue Quilt and I love it. I installed Bursbucker Pro pickups in mine. The stock pickups are pretty good but I love a vintage type tone. I am going to put Alnico magnets in my Agile pickups and see how they sound in a different guitar. My Agile came with the uncovered zebra pickups and no pickguard. The Blue Quilts look great without a pickguard.

gt5litre

Yep it was the ebay one. The quilt looks lovely. Not too "flash" from a distance it look just like a stained chunk of whatever. I am looking forwards to trying the stock pups in a band situation. My other guitarist uses a lp standard. I think that two vintage voiced loaded paul types mught be a little too muddy for our style of music.

Damn I have gas for more agiles now.

• Members

I am SO pumped! I ordered the blue 2500 and can hardly wait to play it. I have wanted a Les Paul for quite some time, but could never afford one. After all of the reviews I read on the Agile I figured what the hell. The only negative articles I have found are due to the pick ups which is no big deal. Hell, if I have to I will throw a couple of EMG's in.

On the other hand I have also read a ton of reviews that the stock pick ups are just fine.

We'll see in a few hours!!

By the way, this is my first post and I am glad to be a part of the community!

Vai Fan

• Members

Originally posted by vai_fan

I am SO pumped! I ordered the blue 2500 and can hardly wait to play it. I have wanted a Les Paul for quite some time, but could never afford one. After all of the reviews I read on the Agile I figured what the hell. The only negative articles I have found are due to the pick ups which is no big deal. Hell, if I have to I will throw a couple of EMG's in.

On the other hand I have also read a ton of reviews that the stock pick ups are just fine.

We'll see in a few hours!!

By the way, this is my first post and I am glad to be a part of the community!

Vai Fan

Welcome to the boards:)

You wont be disappointed with your Agile, I know I wasnt.

• Members

Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

I've been wondering about the Strats with the tunamatic...anyone know if they have modified the neck angle on those guitars to go with an LP style bridge...with a normal strat neck angle, it would be impossible to get a playable low action...the bridge has to sit too high, and the pickups would be too far below the strings...

Yeah they did modify the neck angle...it has a slight tilt like a Gibson so that the action can be adjusted low enough. I cranked the bridge all the way down and it's perfect. I highly recommend that natural ash Strat. I put a Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge and it screams. The guitarist in my friend's band prefers the Agile Strat over his SG Special.

Brad

• Members

Originally posted by ProfaneOath

Thanks for the info Acephelic. i also wanted pass along this tidbit: I emailed Rondo to ask about the pickup routing, and both models of ST's (the ash 902 and the Alder 702) are individually routed (SSS for the 702, HSS in 902). In my experience this is a selling point, because when you put in a swimming pool rout, you take a big chunk of wood away from the most important tone-generating area, right around the pickups. Fender has been doing swimming pool routs (though I've heard rumors they stopped in 98) even on their USA models (and MIM) for years.

That is not true. When I opened up my friend's ash 902 to replace the bridge pickup I noticed that the neck position was also routed for a humbucker. I can't speak for the 702 though.

Brad

• Members

Brad,

thanks for the correction. I emailed rondo about the 702 (alder, sss model) and the reply was: "It is routed for the single coils" with a P.S. "We do have the 902 model which is routed for a hum in the bridge".

I interepreted that to mean the 902 was also routed specifically for the pickups.

Archived