Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

...but that PS-970 is probably as PRS like as you'll get for $250.

Pssst,,$199;)

But absolutely.. It's so obvious that PRS was what they were aiming at with the 970...And did a very decent job:eek: I'm playing my 970 ALOT!!! Still mulling over pickup changes:confused:

Didin't you order a 970?? I'll be curious to hear your opinion after you get a chance to set it up:D

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I sure did and I stand corrected at the $200.

It scheduled for delivery today but the tracking isn't exactly up to date so I'm expecting it today or tomorrow.

I've a pretty good idea what to expect, I'm just hoping I don't have to deal with the "buzz". I'll tweak a truss rod but I've never done a fret level and I'd likely go to a shop for that.

• Members

I have no tuning issues with my 970 trem.. Keep in mind I did an extensive setup(as I do with all my new intruments) on the 970 . It wasn't in real good condition right out of the box.. The trem itself is a little stiffer than most of the 8 other floyd equipped guitars I have but I attribute that to the scale length. The trem seems very stable but obviously I haven't had it long enough to judge kinife edge wear or anything else..

Would it be worth spending the money to swap out a Warmoth Floyd? That's what I plan to do down the road in the event that this Floyd fails.. I view it as unlikely tho,;) BTW,, this guitar sustains like no other Floyd guitar I own,,including my Jem:eek:

• Members

That's good to know!

It sure is a purty guitar! :D

Don't think I'm gonna get much of a chance to play it today but it's in good shape. Doesn't seem to buzz but it's hard to tell since a string broke in transit and the trem's sitting a little askew. I might've gotten lucky! This is about the slickest little $200 guitar I've ever seen.

Same with the DC. Seems to be fine. Beautiful finish! The blue finish has got just a hint of green to it. Striking! Nice flame. This thing's gonna look killer when I throw that Bastard/Fat Bastard P90 set into. Let's hope the sound will match the looks! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by BrokenRomeo

Has anyone done a good comparison between the LP2500 and the 2800...do you feel the 2800 is worth the extra money...how do the pickups compare...

I thought the 2800 was worth the extra money, for a graphite nut, and the Alnico pups. while the 2500 I played wasnt bad (it got a pup swap later on) i went ahead and got the 2800:)

• Members
Originally posted by cucamelsmd15

while the 2500 I played wasnt bad (it got a pup swap later on)

I would have definitely gotten the 2800 as the difference in price was negligible. But they don't make the 2800 in lefty. Nevertheless, "wasn't bad" is an understatement. The 2500 I have sounds incredible. The ceramic pickups are great.:D

• Members

I bought a 2800 before they made them with the graphite nut. I have to say that if mine is a typical example, then IMO it's worth the extra money. I experienced no fret buzzing and made no neck adjustments. The frets are nicely polished and the fret board has a nice slick feel to it. My hand just glides effortlessly over the neck.

Any other 2800 owners find the same thing with theirs?

• Members

Originally posted by Bloozcat

I bought a 2800 before they made them with the graphite nut. The frets are nicely polished and the fret board has a nice slick feel to it.

Same here. My luthier said the frets were very well-made, in fact.

• Members

My neck on my 2800 plays really well, you can glide all over the neck no problem, for me it was worth it to have a little extra care put into the fret filing for smoother play alone. I still had to deal with the fret buzz issue, and I still haven't done anything about it but raise the bridge a bit higher. It helped alot, but there is still a tiny bit of buzz i've been noticing. It's not something you hear throught the amp, so I'm gonna leave it alone till the next string change, and do some tweaking then. If not I've heard Rhondo will send you a new nut if you need one.

I haven't played the 2500's so I'm not sure how the pickups compare, but with the alnico's on the 2800, i can get some great tones, from smooth dark cleans to slash type tones out of the neck and bridge.

• Members
Originally posted by boneraxe

I would have definitely gotten the 2800 as the difference in price was negligible. But they don't make the 2800 in lefty. Nevertheless, "wasn't bad" is an understatement. The 2500 I have sounds incredible. The ceramic pickups are great.
:D

Wow, you really like them that much?:p The 2500 i played was a friend of mines, and he went on to switch them out for some SD-distortions. Now if you want a kickin' axe, thats one way to do it. It growls and sings, very nicely. IMO i thought the stockers were a little dull sounding, but mabye thats just me.
I have no problems with the Alnico's that are in my 2800 though:D

• Members

Yeah, I'm real that happy with it. But to put it in perspective, I sold my Epi LP to get this one. So the 2500 is light years ahead of the Epi.
My Epi was my 2nd string axe, behind my 1987 MIJ Strat that was modded with EMG dg-20's. I haven't picked up my strat since getting the 2500.:)

• Members

Originally posted by fret_flyer

I still had to deal with the fret buzz issue, and I still haven't done anything about it but raise the bridge a bit higher.

Before you mess with the bridge, check the neck relief. My 2500 had no relief out of the box. When I backed off on the adjustment to give it a few thousandths relief, the buzz went away.

• Members

quoted by bassmantele:

Before you mess with the bridge, check the neck relief. My 2500 had no relief out of the box. When I backed off on the adjustment to give it a few thousandths relief, the buzz went away.

Yeah, that's a good idea, I thought about it, but didn't want to mess with the truss rod right away just in case the neck would start some relief on it's own with change in humidity or temp, but it's been rock solid so far.

• Members

Same with my DC. I haven't adjusted anything yet, maybe this weekend...

...for sure this weekend.

I haven't even given the 970 a good look over yet. I'm guessing that neck will need alittle relief as well. Neither guitar has any buzz though...

• Members

Question for the "Agile Collectors":

I received an Gold Top P90 and the fret board is almost two tone. I mean its like a stripe right down the middle. I am tempted to treat it w/ lemon oil to see if I came make it look not so drastic. I am curious if anyone else has seen this and if I should be concerned. Also, my selector switch was busted. ;-(

:cool:

• Members

I've had the busted selector switch on one of mine. One out of four ain't bad. No big deal, I always change the cheap box style switch for one of these anyway...

1217_1sm.jpg

I always treat new guitars with lemon oil and periodic touch ups as required.

• Members

My 2nd Agile, a CSB LP2500, had a fairly large area of the fretboard that was light colored. I went to WalMart and got a magic marker style stain pen, made by Minwax. The only dark color they had was Dark Walnut. I applied a light coat of stain between each pair of frets and rubbed it in with a Q-tip. After 3 or 4 coats, with short dry times in between each, I had a really nice looking dark even colored neck.
The fact that it is basically a magic marker filled with wood stain made it easy to be pretty precise with ink placement, around the inlays, along the junction of fret and fretboard.

Worked great!

• Members

Hey Burgess - Yeah, I am not real concerned w/ the busted switch and I will fix her up this weekend. I did treat the fret board w/ some lemon oil and it did manage to make a not so drastic color change.

Hey Reflex - Interesting idea! If I am not satisfied w/ the oil treatment then will see about those stain pens.

She is a beauty!!!

This one seems much lighter than my lp2800 and my back will appreciate this very much!

• Members
Originally posted by ref|ex

My 2nd Agile, a CSB LP2500, had a fairly large area of the fretboard that was light colored. I went to WalMart and got a magic marker style stain pen, made by Minwax. The only dark color they had was Dark Walnut. I applied a light coat of stain between each pair of frets and rubbed it in with a Q-tip. After 3 or 4 coats, with short dry times in between each, I had a really nice looking dark even colored neck.

The fact that it is basically a magic marker filled with wood stain made it easy to be pretty precise with ink placement, around the inlays, along the junction of fret and fretboard.

Worked great!

Did the stain come off on your fingers at all when you played???

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

Did the stain come off on your fingers at all when you played???

No, not at all. Permanent. Since I wiped most of it off with each coat, it was just a slight darkening in the dark areas, but I applied a heavy amount in the areas I was trying to really darken.
It was an experiment from the outset, but after the first few frets it became apparent it was gonna work great. Dried as any stain will and made the neck look and feel better. It evened the color of the fretboard.

• Members
Originally posted by ref|ex

No, not at all. Permanent. Since I wiped most of it off with each coat, it was just a slight darkening in the dark areas, but I applied a heavy amount in the areas I was trying to really darken.

It was an experiment from the outset, but after the first few frets it became apparent it was gonna work great. Dried as any stain will and made the neck look and feel better. It evened the color of the fretboard.

That sounds great!!

Did it change the grainy-ness or feel of the board at all? How dark was it when you were done??? Like black ebony wood dark or just an even rosewood color??

Archived