Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by reverbboy

I wonder if he'll build that White Custom...HUMM..Three Agiles..That's easy to explain to the wife..LOLBT

I e-mailed him and asked if he was going to offer a white LP last month and he said probably around Christmas.

I've been dreaming of a white Christmas!

• Members

I had the opportunity to compare my Agile 2800 with Gibson pickups installed (498T/490R) to my friend's early 90's Gibson Les Paul Studio that had the same pickup set. So it was a pretty fair apples to apples comparison. One thing to note up front is that the Studio has a body that is about 1/8" thinner than the Agile. The neck on the Agile was also much nicer and faster to play. The Studio had the 50's style baseball bat neck.

My friend played both guitars though a cranked '67 Fender Bassman into a Marshall 4x12. Initial impressions were that both guitars had a very similar character. Both guitars sounded like Gibsons. However, the Agile had a much fuller bottom end and was a lot heavier sounding. I'm sure a lot of this is due to the thicker body. In comparison the Studio sounded neutered and wimpy and exhibited some honkiness in the midrange.

After that comparison my friend was bummed that my Agile sounded better and that he now had no choice but to save up some cash to buy his own Agile. :D

Brad

• Members
Originally posted by reverbboy

The 2800's are alomost out of stock again. The only ones Kurt has left are the ones on Flea-bay...

I wonder if he'll build that White Custom...HUMM..Three Agiles..That's easy to explain to the wife..LOLBT

Agh, I NEED MY BIRTHDAY MONEY NOW!! I can't wait until the end of October for my CSB 2800 :(

How long does it usually take for Kurt to get more Agiles in stock? Does he usually get the same kind, or does each shipment contain a different assortment of finishes? I've only been following these guitars for a little less than a month, so I haven't seen the older models for sale.

• Members

Originally posted by Brad McGowan

I had the opportunity to compare my Agile 2800 with Gibson pickups installed (498T/490R)...

So you went for an authentic Gibson setup. Interesting choice. Wise choice. A proven set that you know will perform in a guitar of that build. Takes all the guesswork out of the decision. Smart.

My pup changes are almost always a bit of a gamble but that's half the fun in some ways.

I've said before (probably in this very thread), these guitars aren't bad at all stock but they really come alive with some premium pups installed.

• Members

I'm putting in one of the new Gibson BurstBucker Pros into the bridge position of my new flame LP2800...it should scream! I did find the stock pickups fine though...the Gibson pickup cost more than 1/3 of the cost of the entire guitar...still a lot less than dinging up a new 2003 Gibson LP standard during gigs though!

• Members

You said it! No worries, just tune up and jam!

Seems many are opting for genuine Gibson pups on these things. Interesting.

I'm all over the place with my choices.

LP2000, Mastertone vHO's
AD2500 (double-cut), Rio Grande Bastard/Fat Bastard P90 set
PS970 (PRS/floyd), Duncan Pearly Gates

I really should finish the last two...

• Members

Yeah I thougth about going for something a little more "exotic", but I really had my heart set on chrome covered pickups and didn't feel like having to search for pickups that were offered with them. I know that most of the duncans are not. Also I really couldn't really justify spending $200+ on a set of pickups for a $300 guitar. I actually kind of like the sound of Gibson pickups and really wanted to get the sound of my Agile as close to the real thing as possible. So I figured what better way to do that then use Gibson pickups. :) With my next Agile purchase I will probably be a little more creative.

By the way I emailed Kurt and requested that he make a Jazzmaster style guitar with tune-o-matic bridge and P90's. Anyone with me on this one? If so send in your request!

Brad

• Members

Hey Burgess -

Haven't heard a review on your p-90's? Or maybe I missed it!

I am so happy with the p-90's in my Agile Goldtop! They didn't work at all with my previous settings, but once I got dialed in! OH what fun!! They sound super cleaned up and super nasty w/ fuzz!! My hB guitars are getting jealous!!

:cool:

• Members

You didn't miss much.

I did a mini review in another thread but to be honest, the guitar's not finished yet. It's still got some wiring issues. I know what the problem is, I just haven't completed the work yet. A 6 day work week kinda makes me want to do absolutely nothing on my one day off. But enough of my misery. Wah, wah...

I did get it working well enough to know that these pups are going to work just fine in this axe. Got to mess around a little with the neck pup going full tilt. I can't tell you how it cleans up 'cause it sounded so good wide open I wasn't backing off for nothin'. What a blast!

Never played P90s before and they're quite a different animal. The Rio's are 'sposed to be wound a little hotter and they really sing. I think this guitar's going to work out well for most of the R & B, classic rock and bluesy stuff I do.

If I get that thing done tonight, I'll follow up on this.

• Members

How about the finish on their LP's? Is it an actual flamed/quilted maple top? I'm pretty sure it is, but the owner of the local guitar shop said that there's no way that they could afford to put a real maple top on a $300 guitar. So him and my dad want me to buy one of his {censored}ty Austin copies with dot inlays and a photo finish for the same price, since I can't go and play one of the Agiles, they're mail order only. Oh, and my dad has some tweaked out idea in his head that EVERYONE on the internet is there to rip you off.

• Members

It is a real maple top but it is a veneer, not a cap. A veneer is real wood, not a photo.

A Gibson has a maple cap which a much bigger piece of wood and is carved on the top surface and flat on the unseen bottom that is glued to the mahogany. A veneer is very thin and can be bent into position.

The owner of the local guitar shop is simply trying to make a sale. His comments are to be expected.

• Members

Ahhh, now I see why they're able to get the real nice look but keep a good price. About the Austins, they're supposed to be nice players, but if I can tell it's not real wood, it's a big turnoff for me. The owner was going on about how nice the finish was on the other austin guitar he had in stock with a flame top, so I went up to and looked real close at that wood and I could tell it was a photo. What a downer, It just really bugs me you know? I'm also a bit worried, but not as much as my dad, about getting a guitar online, I've told him all the great things I've read about them, but he think's it's just people and relatives of people that work at rondo :rolleyes:. Anyway, I'll show him when I get it!

• Members

Originally posted by Jack Handey

I can't go and play one of the Agiles, they're mail order only.

Rondo has a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy. The most you'd be out is shipping if you decided you didn't like it.

• Members
Originally posted by Jack Handey

.......I'm also a bit worried, but not as much as my dad, about getting a guitar online, I've told him all the great things I've read about them, but he think's it's just people and relatives of people that work at rondo
:rolleyes:
. Anyway, I'll show him when I get it!

if its any consolation, many of these forumites were posting long before the Agile craze came around.

maybe see if your dad can understand what is really being offered here though: a guitar that is built to decent specs, not perfect specs, but that is sold without the usual supply-chain that other guitars have to go through. By eliminating the expenses most associated with the supply chain (advertising, nice showrooms, dealer network, corporate totem poles and all the benefits that go with that, sponsoring pop musicians, etc), Rondo can offer what other companies would be charging $4-600 for. Rondo is a one store operation with a web page, and one that has been in business for quite some time. They just contracted a builder, and are offering the guitars up at a decent price -- there has got to be some profit for the store, but there is something to be said for a "less profit per item, but sell more items" mentality. the fact that somebody is buying a guitar from Rondo means they may buy a case there too -- which they probably wouldnt have done if the guitar was being bought at some other place. Its really simple economics, and the guitar is none the less for it.

maybe tell the guy at your local music store to pick one up and check it out. if he doesnt like it, i'm sure he could sell it against an Austin at the store. or he could just return it ;)

for what its worth, foto-tops dont alter the sound of whats underneath, just dress it up a bit.

• Members

This is what I've done to my Cherry Sunburst LP2500...

Seymour Duncan '59 bridge and neck
Schaller strap locks
Gibson speed knobs
.022 Orange Drop cap in bridge tone
.015 "Woman tone" cap in neck tone

jammin through a Roland BC-30 (Bluescube)
gettin a big muff soon

Sounds F'in sweet.

• Members

yeah, bump. if it was gibby's or S-model ibanezes, we could have separate threads, but mgmnt would like to keep all threads about a store-brand line of guitars to one thread. If we dont do it this way, many owners of more expensive guitars get all hurt and start crying, crying like babies sitting in their wet diapers.

• Members
Originally posted by Burgess

Funny thing is, seems many of the new Agile threads are just trolling. Very few legit inquiries.

if it wasnt so (occasionally ;) ) entertaining to see the die-hard, old-school(?) gibby-lemmings get so riled about LP copies, i dont think it'd happen as often. but it'd be nice if this thread stayed afloat for it's orig intent. :)

i did think 56Goldtop's idea about a nitro-finished model was entertaining though -- how far could Rondo get if the copies were that much closer to the originals? granted, there'd be a bit more spec-change necessary, but it'd be interesting to see what could happen.....

• Members

Nitro finish is an interesting idea but I really don't want to see them do anything that'll increase the cost.

I'd rather see them solve the 1st fret buzz once and for all. I'd pay extra for some long shaft CTS pots on the LP model. I'd pay a little more for an ebony fretboard.

The best thing about these guitars is they really don't have that many problems.

Archived