Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Members

Belly on up to the bar, boys!

Use this thread to post your Agile/Rondo Music reviews, questions, complaints, and suggestions.

Hopefully we can keep the majority of the Agile content contained in this thread, rather than have 8 or 10 different threads on the first page, as has been the case lately.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Barkeep, a Killian's Irish Red whilst I relax with my Agile brethren.

My Agiles currently include an amber flame DC and a cherry sunburst flame LP2500. Both are currently in stock condition. Pickups may eventually get swapped out but they are fine for now.

Future Agile purchases: a p90 LP type, possibly the stop-tail version of the PS-970 that's due in the autumn.

• Members

Has anyone seen any major player using an Agile live yet? I doubt if we will see Eric J. using one any time soon, but has anyone? I saw a product response on ebay that someone took his to a gig with Buddy Guy and claimed he liked it. I wouldn't have any reservations about using mine with my gibbys or fenders.

• Members

A Newcastle Brown to keep the bartender busy......

I have an RK-500 which I am currently enjoying, and en route at the moment is an AS 2800. Really really curious to see how it goes through the motions as I was about 3 days away from dropping a substantially larger amount of coin on an sg platinum....

• Members

Yeah, kid, I got an Agile. A 2800. Sweet axe. My first Agile, and my first electric guitar. After feeling her smooth, chunky neck and hearing such sweet tones from the stock pickups, she ruined me for everything else.

Sure, I've played Gibsons since. The best. Real nice, they were. But would I spend ten times as much for one? Not since I got the Agile...

Where's the frickin waitress? Service here sucks, but the regulars are great.

• Members

My new arrival (LP2500 amber) has just been gutted of its pots and caps. I've got CTS 500K pots in now, but I give Agile some credit as the stockers are full-sized. The advantage to the CTS pots is that the knobs don't rub now. They are the standard height pot, not the longer LP style. You have to widen the holes slightly to fit the CTS pots in, but that takes a minute with a round file. Sandpaper on a pencil will get you there too. I've got some nice caps that someone on the LP forum gave me and those will go in too. I'm going for the 50s style wiring as I really liked what that did to my LP studio.

To me, the pickups aren't that different from the 490/498 combo that Gibson puts in the standard issue LPs. I did notice that the pickup covers are epoxied on. I pondered the idea of taking a few windings off each pup, but that stopped me. The neck seemed a bit muddy, even at the lowest setting. I did the old "flip it around" trick and I think that should take care of it. I'm anxious to see what the pots/caps swap do for this one.

• Members

Manhatten on the rocks..

Been playing my 2Kcsb for about a year,still stock,it gets the most play time,the strat second the others lay hoping I dont get a ebay urge to clean out .waiting to see whats on next years lineup.the pics not great but you can see the tone writhing in the flames:D

• Members

Here's a couple of tech questions for ya. I have a balky switch in my 2500 - the middle position only passes the bridge pickup.

Anyone pulled their switch? I don't see any hole to blow in contact cleaner.

Also, the wiring looks different from a stock Gibson. I haven't looked at the pickups yet, but it looks like the pup leads go to the switch first, then down to the pots. The Gibson schem. shows the pup leads going to the pots first, then to the switch. Has anyone replaced a switch? Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by bassmantele

Here's a couple of tech questions for ya. I have a balky switch in my 2500 - the middle position only passes the bridge pickup.

Anyone pulled their switch? I don't see any hole to blow in contact cleaner.

Also, the wiring looks different from a stock Gibson. I haven't looked at the pickups yet, but it looks like the pup leads go to the switch first, then down to the pots. The Gibson schem. shows the pup leads going to the pots first, then to the switch. Has anyone replaced a switch? Thanks.

I pulled the switch on my LP2000. It's pretty easy. You may have a faulty or grounding connection with the blue wire that leads to the switch. Check the connection at the switch and the pot. (there's two blue wires, BTW. One leads to the switch, the other is for the bridge pickup)

I just rewired mine to Gibson specs and it is a bit different. I didn't write down the stock wiring diagram, but I don't "think" the leads go to the switch first. I just clipped all the connections at the pots and rewired according to a schematic at guitarelectronics.com

• Members

Originally posted by bob-ingram

I'm replying only because I think Mr. Soloway had a great idea.

I'm Bob and I have an Agile.

Agile.jpg

i was looking into getting one of those, i just got a 2500 amber quilt... love it... how are the double cuts? is the neck the same as the LP's or no? i also noticed it has square inlays other then trapz... thats nice :D

• Members

Originally posted by andrewjudah

i was looking into getting one of those, i just got a 2500 amber quilt... love it... how are the double cuts? is the neck the same as the LP's or no? i also noticed it has square inlays other then trapz... thats nice
:D

Andrew,

I have both a DC and a LP2500. The neck on the DC is thinner that the LP2500. Not uncomfortably so-- I can go from one to the other without any difficulty.

And yes-- those are block inlays on the DC.

• Members

Has anyone seen any major player using an Agile live yet? I doubt if we will see Eric J. using one any time soon, but has anyone? I saw a product response on ebay that someone took his to a gig with Buddy Guy and claimed he liked it. I wouldn't have any reservations about using mine with my gibbys or fenders.

HBO has a show on sometimes late at night called REVERB. i saw a band's guitarist using an agile guitar. i dont remember the band but being on reverb they had to known pretty well.

• Members

arnoldziffle,

Are you sure they use epoxy on the pickup covers and not wax potting? I want to take the covers off my pickups and move them to a set that I'm going to use as replacements. I hope it isn't epoxy.

Replacing the pots, the toggle switch, and the output jack with CTS and Switchcraft is a pretty inexpensive mod. It'll cost you under $25.00. See the link below for a good source for the parts at a good price:

http://www.internetmusicsupply.com/

Oh, yeah. Make mine a Crown and Coke....

• Members

It slipped my mind, but on one of the last episodes of "That 70's Show," last season, the character played by Ashton Kutcher is playing an Agile acoustic. This was the one where the kids were camping in the woods and missed their high school graduation.

Not an Agile in the hands of any "major player" in the purest sense of the word, nevertheless... :)

• Members

Since we're ordering... 1 black 'n tan

I have an LP 2500 blue quilt that I got maybe two weeks ago.

I really like it.

Do any of you have the problem of the neck pickup being almost twice as loud as the the bridge pickup? The neck is nice and loud and full, but the bridge is quiet and thin.

I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup soon. Duncan customcustom maybe? a '59? what about Bill Lawrence p/ups?

I know he winds them per order, does he talk to you and get an idea of what kind of tone you're after and then wind to that?

That would rock.

• Members

Originally posted by GecKo

Since we're ordering... 1 black 'n tan

I have an LP 2500 blue quilt that I got maybe two weeks ago.

I really like it.

Do any of you have the problem of the neck pickup being almost twice as loud as the the bridge pickup? The neck is nice and loud and full, but the bridge is quiet and thin.

I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup soon. Duncan customcustom maybe? a '59? what about Bill Lawrence p/ups?

I know he winds them per order, does he talk to you and get an idea of what kind of tone you're after and then wind to that?

That would rock.

GecKo,

I've not experienced the same phenomenon with either of my Agiles.

If you're only replacing the bridge pickup, I don't think a '59 will balance well with the stock ceramic neck pickup, which is a bit hotter.

The Custom/Custom Custom/Custom 5 is probably a better bet.

Yep, BL will wind to order-- you actually have to call him to order a set (no online ordering) and I've heard he'll talk your head off. You might get lucky and his wife Becky will answer.

• Members

my pickups sound even to me. i had an ibanez that had that problem. the neck pickup was much louder than the bridge. didnt really bug me.. i needed it louder anyways. later today i'll record some clips. but i'm not sure if i can post them. DSP has been crashing on me everytime i go there so. might not happen. i'll try tho.

- JOe

Archived