Zero's Agile Owner & Enthusiast Bar-- cheap guitars, cheap drinks

Mister Zero

• Members

Hi Brandon. Welcome to the forum. How do you like you Agile and is that your only guitar?

BTW, that intro sounded like you were introducing yourself to a 12 step program. I had to chuckle. Maybe there should be an Agile addiction progam. Hmmmmm.....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard the red 820 was a possibility, but to not expect it until 2004. I can't wait that long and near Christmas i will get a Goldtop LP and I will need to stretch the time between purchases, WAF you know. I now have 7 guitars and counting.

gt5litre

• Members

Cheers to everyone at the bar!

I have the good fortune that Rondo music is not far of the track of my daiy commute, so I stopped in the other day to check out all the hype on the Agiles. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The finish on these guitars are sweet. I tried a LP 2800 cherry sunburst, a LP 2500 with P-90's and a Rick 360 copy . I have to say, they all played great! The 2500 could easily be upgraded with a graphite nut as the other 2 had, and the tones with stock pickups were pretty awesome through a Laney tube amp. I have been playing for over 25 years and have been through many an axe. I might have to bring my Gibsons to compare head on, but I may actually have to take the plunge on the LP 2500 with the P-90's. While the materials may not be AAA, the finish job, tone and playability certainly was.

My current guitars are;
Gibson Custom Les Paul
Gibson '62 reissue SG
Gibson Howard Roberts
Gibson ES-150
Fender '52 Reissue Tele
Fender Clapton Strat
Takamine EC341
Washburn EC something Cutaway Electric Nylon String
Ibanez AW Acoustic
Ibanez Roadstar (I completeley customized down to the paint job, EMG SA pickups, Fishman VMV PowerBridge, Schaller Tuners)

• Members

now you guys have me going on these agiles. $300 gets you a real flame top les paul with a mahogany body AND, did I read it right, a set MAPLE neck?? sounds to good to be true. I need a point of comparison here thou. I have a samick av4 that is a great guitar and an av3 that is just o.k. how do these agiles stack up? and where are they made...and most importantly would you say they could go head to head tone wise with a gibson les paul?

• Members

i ordered an amber flame lp 2500, just got it today. all i can say is its not hype. this thing is killer. im not even gonna change the pickups, and i hate ceramic magnets. these sound really good to my ears. i had to pinch myself after i opened the box.ok im done.....

• Members

Mikem68 -- do some real reading of this thread, and use the search function here for enough reading to keep you busy for a week, if not two. all your questions will be answered, usually 30 or 40 times, if not more.

simple answers -- MIK (maker unknown for certain), and tone is a very subjective thing. the flame maple, although real (no foto) is just a veneer.

Padeaux -- congrats on the new member of your family.

• Members

I'll take whatever beer's on tap.

I got one of the black Essex set-neck SG copies, and I've had the thing heavily modded, but it was WELL worth the money out of the box. Since then, I've replaced the nut, bridge, pots, and bride pickup (and the strap buttons...gotta have strap locks).

I don't care whether it stacks up against a Gibson tone-wise, I haven't tried--because this thing SMOKES! I put a Rio Grande BBQ Bucker in the bridge. *DROOL*. It nails AC/DC rhythm and solos...when it's warming up :D:eek::D And it just gets better from there. The only reason I changed the bridge pickup was because it fed back too soon at stage volume, and the BBQ bucker wound up (no pun intended) making it sound a bajillion times better.

• Members

Mikem,

I have had my eye on an Avion AV4 that is for sale locally, the Tele-looking model. It would seem like they would be pretty comparable guitars, both mahagony bodies, with the AV having a mahagony set neck, maple set neck on the agile. The AV4 top though I'm not sure whether it is a photo or real, it's ambiguous from Samick's web site. I am getting my Agile AD 2500 (blue double-cut) around week-end, and maybe I'll swing by that pawn shop after I get it so I can give a good comparison between the Agile and Samick.

Those new "Greg Bennett" Samick models are pretty appealing I must say...

z7.jpg

• Members

nocaster,

Welcome to the forum.

You sure have some nice gear! I can see how a P90 axe would fit in nicely there.

mikem68,

"would you say they could go head to head tone wise with a gibson les paul?"

IMO, in stock configuration, no.

"I need a point of comparison here thou. I have a samick av4 ..."

As far a Samick comparison, if you have a really nice example of a Samick, hmmmm..... might actually be better than the Agile. A better Samick won't have the typical Agile 1st fret buzz, misaligned tuners or the rubbing knobs. The nicer Samick will also cost you significantly more than the Agile. Pups would be in the same ballpark on the two.

ProfaneOath

"The AV4 top though I'm not sure whether it is a photo or real, it's ambiguous from Samick's web site."

If it was a real top, they'd be bragging about it. They'd make it very clear that it was real.

• Members

Hey Guys...Just wanted to give you an update on my PUP swap. I just dropped a Duncan C5 into the bridge position on my 2500 and it sounds great! More modern and meaner than the 498T (I love that pup as well) which is in my LP Standard. All in all, I think I made the right choice with the C5. I was looking for a different sound than my LP gave me and the Agile sure delivers. Oh, I also installed some new D'Addario .010-.052's and it never comes out of tune! God bless D'addario strings :D

• Members
If it was a real top, they'd be bragging about it. They'd make it very clear that it was real.

well there are two categories they use to describe their quilt/flame tops. On the lower end models the specs will say "High tech quilt top" or "High-tech flame top" while on the upper end models such as the AV4 the specs will actually say "Quilted Maple top" or "Flame Maple top".

That would lend to the idea that on the upper-end models the tops are real wood, however thin. Regardless, they sure look good. Even the FB1 is tempting, and I'm sure would compare very favorable to something like an OLP

fb1tblimage.jpg

• Members

I am very interested in checking out one of these in particular the 2800 DLX . I have a few questions. Is the few extras on the 2800 DLX worth the extra $ over the $2500? My guess is yes but just checking. Also, how is this guitar working out for the people who are actually using them to play out? Thanks.

• Members

after a 4 hour a/b between the jay turse vine, the 2000,2500 and 2800 the 2800 is MUCH better than the 2500.

the fretwork on all 4 of the 2400's i tried was poor at best and the pups spunded thin.

the 2800 however seemed a smooth player.

interesting note when my 2800 arrived it was strung w/ 9's, worked GREAT out of the box, a little out of tune, but whats to be expected.

however as SOON as i switched to 10's the low e buzzzed insanely. no amount of truss rod adjustment on my part would resolve it, took it to a tech who raised the pride and that resolved it, but its a little too high for my tastes. so i may switch to 9's next set

• Members

well the differences are 1) Graphite nut. a lot of guys change this out on the 2500's, but I don't think that alone would be worth 50 bucks more...assuming that the 2500 needs a new nut which I'm not sure of. Also, 2) hand filed frets. How 'bad' or good is the fretwork on the 2500's? If there is sloppiness then is it mild enough to just hand file and smooth it out yourself? 3) I believe the 2800 has Alnico pickups, which I definitely prefer to ceramic, but if you're planning on swapping out the pickups anyway, which a lot of Agile players do, then obviously that's not a consideration.

I would be inclined to pay the extra 50 bucks, but if the graphite nut has problems with .10 guage (I use .10-.46 D'addario) then maybe I wouldn't... Plus there is simply a wider variatey of finishes available in the 2500.

• Members

Originally posted by ProfaneOath

well there are two categories they use to describe their quilt/flame tops. On the lower end models the specs will say "High tech quilt top" or "High-tech flame top" while on the upper end models such as the AV4 the specs will actually say "Quilted Maple top" or "Flame Maple top".

That would lend to the idea that on the upper-end models the tops are real wood, however thin. Regardless, they sure look good. Even the FB1 is tempting, and I'm sure would compare very favorable to something like an OLP

I think you've solved it. I'd say "High-Tech" means photo.

If it says maple, it had better be maple if nothing more than a veneer.

• Members

all this is giving me GAS really bad. I have one more question, how is the brightness of the sound compared to a gibson lp? how about a gibson lp with a maple cap? the reason I ask is because of the agile having the maple neck. you never see a gibson lp with a maple neck..except maybe for the zak wylde sig. model. also, would you say it makes the sound tighter say, like an ibanez with the maple neck?

Archived