Tuning while Gigging

crispyguitarist

• Members

's mel gibson wrote:

Originally posted by Rabies

Boss pedal. It acts like a standby and cuts off the amp when engaged. No one hears you tuning. Also an easy way to put you in standby without having to go monkey with the amp.

For me I think it's the only way to go. I'm also plugged into a ZOOM 707II which in by-pass is also a tuner. I really like them on the floor in front of me.

Thats what I do if I bring a pedal board. If I'm going light and straight to amp, I use a clip on Snark and just turn down the guitar volume.

• Members

Guess I'm showing my age and punk roots?  (Lollapalooza and Warped tours, mid-90's, those seemed like serious gigs) "Out loud" was not an issue ... ??? You just do it in like 6 seconds and off and running, 1234 Joey Ramone style.

What do you mean the harmonics aren't in tune?  You get a reference tone first.

When did audiences get so spoiled they couldn't deal with less than 10 seconds of adjustment a couple times in a 45 minute set? 

• Members

I'm going to go against the flow and say that tuning between songs is part of the texture that says "live music".

Tuning adds continuity. A tuner tweak and a couple of words of banter is what 'should' be happening. A sterile silent gap between songs is like 'dead air' on the radio. Five seconds of it feels like a minute.

• Members

Chordite wrote:

I'm going to go against the flow and say that tuning between songs is part of the texture that says "live music".

Tuning adds continuity. A tuner tweak and a couple of words of banter is what 'should' be happening. A sterile silent gap between songs is like 'dead air' on the radio. Five seconds of it feels like a minute.

Yep you're right I think.  Ideally you don't need to tune at all but it's not an ideal world and it's fine as long as there's some banter or something going on for the audience.

I have to say it's pretty rare that I need to tune between songs - my guitars are usually quite well behaved in that way.  Good job too 'cos I'm lousy at on-stage banter. It's an area I've been trying to improve!

• Members

I have a bog-standard TU-2 pedal tuner, and I use the muting output (there's usually also a "bypass" output on these pedals that doesn't mute when the pedal's on; not sure why you'd use it, really). If you use a clip-on tuner, turn the volume on your axe down to 0. If you use a rackmount or other tuner, make sure there's some sort of mute function downstream. Not much you can do to silence an acoustic while tuning it; just be quick (but accurate!) about it.

• Members

orourke wrote:

Originally posted by Rabies

Boss pedal. It acts like a standby and cuts off the amp when engaged. No one hears you tuning. Also an easy way to put you in standby without having to go monkey with the amp.

I'm another guy who does it this way.

Me and my bass player drop our D on some songs, so having a tuning pedal with a mute is important.

Well, sometimes that can sound cool; hit your distortion pedal, play the E and D strings, then turn the E string down till you don't hear any beats. A little practice and you can do this in a couple of seconds, and as long as you don't d*ck around it sounds intentional.

If you and your bassist have to swap between drop D and standard tuning a lot, you might consider investing in Hipshot Xtenders to replace your stock low E tuning machines; with it properly adjusted prior to the gig, you just flip a lever and go. They're made in a wide variety of key styles and finishes, so just order the one that matches the other 5 machines on your headstock and you're golden.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Chordite wrote:

I'm with ya on this!

Archived