22332322332222:breathe:333232332323223322

1001gear

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes one just needs to play music without worrying about if it's "right" or not.

It's a creative art, I worry not if it can be typed up, categorized, or placed neatly in a box. In fact I sometimes prefer it can't be.

• Members

You can rack your brains with the addition but you'll probally wreck with calculator latency. Morse code is closer to how it swings. You know like,
dit dit dah dit dah da dit dah dit dah, yada yada yadada yadada on and on...

• Members

You can rack your brains with the addition but you'll probally wreck with calculator latency. Morse code is closer to how it swings. You know like,

dit dit dah dit dah da dit dah dit dah, yada yada yadada yadada on and on...

just do it

it will change your mind, no matter how good or bad you are doing it

• Members

I can see in a complex matrix you could find yourself using fractional numerators. 3.5/4 would still count as 7/8 though.

Very true

3.5/4 = 1 an 2 an 3 an 4 1 an 2 an 3 an 4 1 an 2 an 3 an 4

7/8 = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

• Members

Very true

3.5/4 = 1 an 2 an 3 an 4 1 an 2 an 3 an 4 1 an 2 an 3 an 4

7/8 = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The meter signature is not defined by what anybody can count over it, but how the music is phrased. When the music is in seven, then write 7/8 or 7/4 as meter signature, and when the music is in 3

• Members

I just found this thread as I'm having lunch so here's what I've gotten out of it:

...but I really appreciate the effort.

Kinda like "Hey, I like what you guys are trying to do"

I found the playing precise, and harder music than what I may be capable of at the moment, not that I couldn't rise to the occasion. So the fact that they're able to play that makes them more skilled, not necessarily more musical, but that's another topic.

It was interesting to listen to and had I not been working I probably would have enjoyed it more if I could just listen and not talk to people while I did.

Now, does any of this mean I'm a bad musician because I can't/didn't bother/don't want to try to count it out or transcribe it. I guess that's your opinion, but don't put you above me because you disagree (Rudy). I've got way more things to worry about than whether or not I'm better than anyone else, so I'm glad you have that much extra time on your hands.

As far as "Bulgarian Bulge", there is nothing about that that sounds natural feeling or any reference to ease at which an odd meter can be played. My reference to an odd meter sounding, I'll say smooth, would be Stings "Seven Days". Vinnie can make anything sound smooth as silk, no matter what the time sig is. It makes you think you could dance a waltz to it. JMO

• Members
The meter signature is not defined by what anybody can count over it, but how the music is phrased. When the music is in seven, then write 7/8 or 7/4 as meter signature, and when the music is in 3

• Members

comes down to the phrase, and how the individual hears it.....unless it's on paper or being related by the composer/person paying you.

My path of least resistance and your path of least resistance for a particular piece of music might not be the same, but so long as they are symbiotic, who cares.

• Members

I think we are just getting into semantics with 3.5/4 vs. 7/8. I find with a lot of these fractioned time signatures the composer is trying nothing more than to be intentionally intellectual about his approach to phrasing. I guess if anyone feels more comfortable playing and counting in three and a halves instead of seven then by all means do so. As my wise rhythm guitarist reminds me all the time, "it is what it is".

it is what it is.

did your rhythm guitarist ever work recording sessions where many musician, lets say 80, record 1 hour of music in a day?

• Members

what is it that almost all here are resisting learning the grammatics of music notation?

musicians play what is written there, and if the composer makes a mistake, it will sound as mistake. That's also true to phrasing, dynamics, accents, , short/long sounds, articulation, time signature etc. - time signatures are certainly not an intellectual brainfart of composers, but simply a ligature which tell the reader what the rhythmic structure is.

Archived