Getting new tom and snare heads soon...

JMR

• Members

My current heads are starting to wear out, especially my 12" tom. What should I check out?

I've been using Remo Vintage Emps on my toms and Vintage Ambs on my snare. They sound pretty nice, the coating holds up so-so. Warm without sounding dull, although I would love something even warmer. However, I'd like something with a coating that holds up a little better, especially on the snare. The coating starts to give really fast.

• Members

Wait, don't people generally change heads when the drum head wears out?

I guess it really depends on your definition of "wearing out." If you're playing every day and performing full-time, your heads will only sound good for about 6 months (or so I hear; I've never been in such a position), even if they don't necessarily look worn. When I was playing a moderate amount, I would replace my heads about once a year, regardless of whether or not the looked worn out.

• Members

Wait, don't people generally change heads when the drum head wears out?

"Generally"?

I don't know.

I replace mine BEFORE they wear out. You wait until your heads 'wear out', you're playing on heads that don't sound so good. If you're purchasing/using specific heads because of the way they characterize the sound/tone of your drums, you wouldn't wait until they wear out before changing them, IMO.

• Members

Never tried 'em. Maybe I will. What do you like about 'em more than others?

nice an' dry, and they don't dent. when looser, you can get a nice, sloppy sound. but, not mushy. when tight, they're poppy. but not too bright, like a clear head. i go to coated ambassadors sometimes, but i always go back to cs'. don't know why i even try others anymore. that's my snare go-to.

around the kit, i still use clear cs. ambs with a dot, basically. ambs on bottom. dots control the overtones, plus, no dents.

didn't mean to steal, op.

• Members

Maybe a coated REMO pinstripe for the tom and try Texture coated Aquarian StudioX for the snare, if you like coated and want to try something a little warmer.

As for changing heads, since I mostly play for hobby in my room at home, I have been playing on the same heads for a LONG time. If I was playing out, I might change them more often, but for now and to keep cost down, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

• Members

No brushwork right? Get plain Remo Ambos spray the inside w/ Ludwig Tree Frost leaving a border for the drum edges.

I only really use brushes on my snare. I'll look into that, thanks!

I'll also look into the coated CS for toms, and the Texture coated Aquarian StudioX for the snare.

Also, my heads aren't sounding crappy yet, but I feel like they're getting towards the end, maybe a month more before they begin to truly sound like "doodoo." My band thinks my toms sound amazing.

Archived