Worst drum products of the past 10 years...

SyntheticTubs

• Members

Pro Mark PVC stick caddy thing. Two PVC tubes bolted to a big clip used to carry a few pair of sticks. I like the idea but the bolts on mine always rattle loose, So I had to put it on the floor and clip it to the bottom of my high hat stand. It was always falling off or turning over and sticks fall out.

Go to your local hardware store and pick up a bottle of Loctite 242 (blue). It's a special liquid compound designed for securing bolts and such. Just put a little on the threads before screwing it in. When it dries, it will hold the bolt tight, but you will still be able to unscrew it if need be.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Krut cymbals, also known as "pieces of Krut"

just look at the ads in the back of MD. You'll see a bunch of useless crap in there.

I've noticed something about musical instruments and music in general, and that is that usually the crappiest stuff comes out in the middle of a decade. It's seems to be the time between the transition period - time between time.

The Ludwig tubular leg stands were actually pretty good for their time - was that the Hercules stands someone mentioned. They did have a counter balance inside the tube. I still have and use one but the weight came out of the tube. Not that it needed it.

I remember and used a kevlar snare head for a while:facepalm: Live and learn.

Anyone remember folding leg thrones? I had one that the middle tube bent toward the back and there was 2 legs that swiveled off of the middle tube from the top, then 2 more "arms" that attached the middle tube to the other legs at the bottom and it all created a tripod. but a real unstable tripod!

• Members

Some recent entries IMO:

1- agree with Slap, Metalworks Celtic Cross suck. Yes, I tried the small one for {censored}s and giggles. VERY cheaply made and bend out of shape easily.
2- I hate the "colored jam blocks". It's not the tones, it's the friggin' colors. It's like toddler colors. Can't they all be black or gray?
3- "Stick-Flip". Look it up. WTF???????????
If I want to flip my stick, which I can, but don't, I have opposable thumbs and functional wrists, or, I would most likely suck at drums, maybe not hand drums. Never the less, its a laughable gimmick

My 2 cents

• Members

If I want to flip my stick, which I can, but don't, I have opposable thumbs and functional wrists, or, I would most likely suck at drums, maybe not hand drums. Never the less, its a laughable gimmick

Marko! YES!!! I completely forgot about that absurd chunk of springy plastic. I NEVER could figure out why someone would want that! :facepalm:

• Members

I used to have a PureCussion drumset. You know the one with just rims and heads, I thought I would use it for small gigs. Anyway, I could never get the bass drum to keep from moving and there's nothing more frustrating than a moving bass drum. :mad: I don't know if this would product would be considered the worst, but I ended up giving it away.

Update: This drumset has landed in the Rush in Rio video. I saw Neil Peart using it to warmup. Soon to come. A 23" PureCussion bass drum.

• Members

I used to have one of those also! Gigged on it for years in the clubdate circuit. The way to eliminate bassdrum creep: a 2x4 nailed into the front of your drum rug. Which in my case was not so much a rug as a tarp, so that it would be easy to carry.

So no, I would not consider it a bad product at all. The concept was good, and the toms in particular sounded great.

• Members

My 2 cents

LMFAO. I've never seen that thing.

If you want to send your audience the message that you have no interest in your drum part or the music, you'd be better off rack-mounting a TV.

• Members

Drumstick Leash... (no kidding)

drummers-leash-grip2.jpg

"The patented design features a hard plastic housing that holds a speed ball bearing which enables the smooth spin action of the Drummers Leash."

And I'm gonna hold this in my hand for 2 hours while smacking my snare? :confused:
Sounds comfy. :facepalm:

• Members
I used to have one of those also! Gigged on it for years in the clubdate circuit. The way to eliminate bassdrum creep: a 2x4 nailed into the front of your drum rug. Which in my case was not so much a rug as a tarp, so that it would be easy to carry.

So no, I would not consider it a bad product at all. The concept was good, and the toms in particular sounded great.

I'll one up you. I used a cement block.(from the cement pond) Of course there often was chicken wire in front of the stage also.:facepalm:

Now you got to admit if you have to go to those lengths to keep the bass drum from moving, somebody somewhere dropped the ball in the design department.

• Members

Considering that the compromises upon which the entirety of the set design - no shells, one-hand transport - was founded, there was simply no room to include the spikes that, nowadays, hold kick drums in-place.

Really hard to see how they could have done it differently AND maintained such easy transportability. It was never really a problem for me.

Now you got to admit if you have to go to those lengths to keep the bass drum from moving, somebody somewhere dropped the ball in the design department.

• Members

Whatever, i'll bite. I tried not to.

Signing up for a war that you know is completely uncalled for, serves no purpose for anyone, and kills thousands of innocent people is not serving your country. It's not being a hero, or being honorable.

I don't wish harm on anyone who signs up for the military, but i don't HAVE to respect them. What is being done is far from serving any country.

Now can we get back to failed percussive inventions?

Actually, we can't. Because i was fine with this little side sillyness until you pointed out your severe ignorance to the people that are in the military. And I just can't help but pen a response. Flame me if you will, but seriously CEM. You need to realize a few things:

1. The people serving in the military now didn't all sign up for it AFTER the war started. In fact, recruitment has gone down severely since the wars have begun, and for good reason.

2. Many people choose to serve because they have been unable to find a decent job, or unable to pay for/get a good education. Take a look at the social-economic status of people who sign up for the army. It doesn't take a genius to see that the poor are effectively protecting the rich in this country.

3. The people in the military don't WANT to kill innocent people, but wars are wars and they are not just.

You don't have to respect anyone (I just lost all respect for you, for example). But your ignorant stereotyping is for shame. Its really easy to make blanket statements about people and situations when you don't understand anything.

For the record, I'm completely against the wars and think it was a total mistake to go there. However, I KNOW that the people serving are working hard, doing a job that I could never do. They deal with harsh conditions, high stress, and a long time away from their families. I hope they all come home safe, even though I know they wont.

You should feel ashamed of yourself.

• Members

They deal with harsh conditions, high stress, and a long time away from their families. I hope they all come home safe, even though I know they wont.

The same can be said for crab fisherman, oil riggers, etc.

Except they don't get free housing when it isn't crab season. Except when a crab fisherman dies, he's a crazy SOB and "that's what happens when you don't want to get a good education". He doesn't get a medal, or labeled a {censored}ing hero.

And i see the same blanket statements coming from you. This war has been going on for years, there's plenty of people who signed up after the war started and we realized we're killing the wrong people.

I've been to many a ghetto and hung out with mostly mid-low (aka poor) class people my whole life, only ONE of them was dumb enough to enlist.

And wars can only happen when people are dumb enough to kill for a paycheck, and don't kid yourself, that's what it is. "Well i {censored}ed up in school, i can always just join the Marines! Sure i might kill folks, but i get free housing, plus a paycheck, and no matter how {censored}ty the economy gets, i never have to worry about losing my job! America NEVER stops dwindling tax dollars on the military!"

You're obviously a lumberjacking brawny man, PBR chugging patriot, and i'm a commie heathen. We're just going to have to agree to disagree or this will go on forever.

• Members
and i'm a commie heathen.

Please don't put yourself in the same category as a communist. They can be quite reasonable people. You are simply ignorant (as in the Merriam-Webster definition of ignorance) and seem to generate a lot more heat than light.
:rolleyes:

• Members

Anyone remember the Zildjian cymbal mic system where the mics were mounted underneath the cymbals? I never used on or even heard one. All I know was I saw an ad in MD, went for a cup of coffee and they disappeared.

• Members

Anyone remember the Zildjian cymbal mic system where the mics were mounted underneath the cymbals? I never used on or even heard one. All I know was I saw an ad in MD, went for a cup of coffee and they disappeared.

oh man, just barely... now everybody can feel what its like to put your ear directly under the bell of a cymbal! bleah!!

• Members
Not even close. I just realize that you are the reason many Conservatives think Liberals hate America.

Please don't put yourself in the same category as a communist. They can be quite reasonable people. You are simply ignorant (as in the Merriam-Webster definition of ignorance) and seem to generate a lot more heat than light.

:rolleyes:

I hate America? Because i think the military is ran in an inefficient and costly manner? Because people who sign up for the war aren't my hero?

I'd rather be ignorant than a {censored}ing chump. As long as people like you romanticize all this horse{censored}, it will continue to go on. Now {censored} off, i'm tired of your self serving high horse bull{censored}. Boo {censored}ing hoo, get the {censored} over it.

• Members

I hate America? Because i think the military is ran in an inefficient and costly manner? Because people who sign up for the war aren't my hero?

I'd rather be ignorant than a {censored}ing chump. As long as people like you romanticize all this horse{censored}, it will continue to go on. Now {censored} off, i'm tired of your self serving high horse bull{censored}. Boo {censored}ing hoo, get the {censored} over it.

Re-read my post. Did I say you hated America? and thanks for resorting to using such language. Just more proof you have no rational argument.

No high-horse here. Just a dead one.

:deadhorse:

Archived