Worst drum products of the past 10 years...

SyntheticTubs

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pro Mark PVC stick caddy thing. Two PVC tubes bolted to a big clip used to carry a few pair of sticks. I like the idea but the bolts on mine always rattle loose, So I had to put it on the floor and clip it to the bottom of my high hat stand. It was always falling off or turning over and sticks fall out.

I still have one and use it. I keep a screwdriver with my kit to tighten it up when necessary since it does come loose. It would easily last a gig, usually last a week or so before needing adjustments.

• Members

This could simply be called "THUD", the drumheads you love to hate.

Original Evans hydraulics with white hoop: The rage of the 80's, a good way to muffle your kit and rob tone. Think the blue or red were dead? try the black ones. Yikes. Thud.

Kevlar heads: Umm.. what tone?

Aquarian performance 2: may be even deader than the hydraulics! Rubbery thud.

Evans EQ4 coated kick heads: might as well be playing a sheet of plywood.

• Members

Ok this thread is great, all the memories flooding back.

I want to comment on a few of them. North and Staccato drums. You have to put them in context. At that time concert toms were the in thing.

(Now there was a bad idea for kit drummers)

These companies were trying to build a product that would project through a band. also remember that this time the louder the better was the norm for rock bands. I agree that by todays standards they are weird and even back then they did not take off but you have to admit the concept is interesting. And as a collector I will most likely own a kit some day

I also saw a post on plastic brushes, yes they do not work or sound like the real deal but for some of us that own electronic kits with mesh heads it is the only option for brushes so they do have their place. (and now someone will add electronic drums to the list :bor:)

Comments were made about ZBT and ZXT cymbals, I would like to say that for many of us when we started we would have killed for something of that quality, I remember my first set of hi-hats folding inside out on me. At least there is now an option for entry level that can be played, even if they sound mediocre they can be played.

I also want to comment on drum machines. I remember the days when it was looked at as and was competition to real drummers, and yes it sucked to have real drummers replaced by a stupid sequencer.

But I actually found a few great uses for them, even back then.

You can program in a pattern you want to learn and can not play yet. Then play it with it. Turn the tempo way down and then increase it as you get comfortable with it, It is like having a teacher there when ever you want it.

I also prefer a basic drum machine track to a click track many times for the rest of the band when recording scratch tracks. They tend to play with a little more feel that way.

An idea that did no catch on but I think was great, Premier Resonator drums. I would love to hear a set of these with the current isolating tom mounts. I bet the warmth would be amazing.

I want to add to the list aluminum drum sticks, what a stupid idea this was. Gee, let me think, what would I prefer, my sticks wearing and breaking or my cymbals? How lame that is. I'll stick with good old fashion wood, oh and the wood does actually impact the over all sound, who would have thunk it:confused:

The massive amounts of drum muffling devices, lets just kill the drum.

If you want dead drums buy a $200.00 kit. I never understood why someone would spend thousands of dollars on a kit then choke it:confused: But again back in the 70s-80s in the rock and pop world dead was in so there you go.

Todays young drummers do not know how great they have it. Many of the entry / mid level kits of today are better then many of the pro level kits of yesterday. I remember when the simple fact that a kit had a lacquer would add $1000.00 to the price. Now you can get amazing finishes on entry level kits that are far less then just the difference in the price back then.

Hardware, I remember when a boom stand was $150.00, period and that was back then so just thing about having to spend 200.00 or more for one today.

But the fact of the matter is, we did not know any better. We had what we had.

• Members

Ok this thread is great, all the memories flooding back.

But the fact of the matter is, we did not know any better. We had what we had.

Yep, a few items:

1) Your sig says "vintage Tama superstar...but I see a couple DW kits on your site... was hoping to see the superstars....

2) Aluminum sticks? A broke my share of those idiotic things

3) Kits: It was either high end, or crap. Trust me, I longed for a Tama superstar or a Ludwig kit. I had a dead FEPOS. In high school, I saved my pennies and bought a used Luddie kit. It was 1,000% better. But the hercules stands were aweful. My buddy had Tama titan (with the counterweight) and I was blown away...

4) Resonators: besides the gimmick, that's one of those things that really didn't live up to it's name. I tried some recently with modern heads and so on. They did nothing special. And I was nonplussed by the hardware or construction. No good memories for me there. IMO, Rogers/memriloc and later xp-8 blew away anything Premier of the era. So did Ludwig, and slingerland for that matter. I just hate pre-xpk/apk premier, but that's just me.

5) Remember Slingerland cut-a way? Ludwig projectors? (the half-shell reflectors on the bottom) And of course roto-tom reflectors, half and full. I liked pearl vari-pitch cannons.

6) Again, premier oval straight stands? Single braced cymbal stands that were too lightweight to stand up? Barely adjustable rail-mount systems for toms?

7) I either bought used Zildjian cymbals or used another off brand besides camber. I cannot remember exactly, but I think it was Zanki or something.

In general, hardware sucked and drums were inconsistent until at least the late 70's. The single head, dead sound did fit the era. And yes, drummers are spoiled now because drums at every level are better.

• Members

Thank you for the input on the resonators.

And yes I do remember the projection devices for concert toms and roto toms.

I shot you a PM with a link to my Vintage Supes

Additional Premier nightmare:

I remember doing my first refinish job (in 1981)on a 1978 set of Premiers, the non resonator variety. The wood under the wrap was so bad, that the outer ply flaked off and crumbled. Meanwhile, I removed the wrap from a 1978 18" Rogers xp-8 floor tom. The wood underneath was magnificent rock maple. It was easy to sand and re-lacquer to a nice natural finish.

Tama was the only drum company in 78/79 that combined quality shells (like Rogers) but hardware that didn't leave a huge hole in the shell. The best of available drum and hardware technology.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

...Worst Drum Products... Pro Mark Oak Drumsticks: these beauties would shred, whittle down to bent, curved, split reeds as shreds of sticks, like shredded reeds, more like vines, in your hands, but remain unbreakable during normal use in performance! :)

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Krut Cymbals! ...somehow... Dumb Luck in Metal Shop?, these cheapies sounded like the real thing, and could withstand almost the same whooping and whallop one would give any pro cymbal line! Note: I never had any problem denting, bending, inverting, and splitting Zildjians. I'm not kidding,

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Whamrod Drumsticks!: did not light up, or glow! ...would bend, almost play themselves from the momentum of the physical period! ...any more flexible, and you could model your analog synth Soundwaves by these drumsticks, if not customise a graphic Equaliser setting! ...remember Soundwaves as the Glyphs on Modules of Analog Synths, and Soundwaves used as models for Equaliser settings, the Equaliser settings as points on the envelope curve of the Soundwave! ...about as flexible, yet rigid, as extremely fat, plastic upright bass Strings! Whamrod Drumsticks!: Great for the Practice Pad Test Market Segment!

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Ludwig Perfect Circle Hoops... Unbendable Rims!(?) ...Advertised briefly by Ludwig, with a picture as an illustrative diagram. On back order for 2 or 3 days for the Music Strip retailers in New York City. Ludwig quite possibly never supplied or sold one single Ludwig Perfect Cirlcle Hoop to the Music retailers for resale to the public!

• Members
...Worst Drum Products... Pro Mark Oak Drumsticks: these beauties would shred, whittle down to bent, curved, split reeds as shreds of sticks, like shredded reeds, more like vines, in your hands, but remain unbreakable during normal use in performance!
:)

I'm in full agreement on that. I've had awful luck with Pro Mark sticks, and it all started with those Oak SOBs. They just shattered when you went to play them and you were left with a #2 pencial that wouldn't break when everything was done. Imagine a Twinkie filled with cement. :facepalm:

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Evans Mirror Drumheads! ...a mere mirage! ...advertised, may have actually been available to the public for 2 or 3 entire days in The Big City! ...between limited production and promotional item, less available than back-order only, yet more available than the advertised-but-never-stocked Ludwig Perfect Circle Hoops!

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Shark Drum Pedals! these Midi Controllers were $400.00 each!: they had 100% precise, consistent action, all the time! The action was very smooth, but Shark Pedals did not float or flow! ...and from my memory, were not velocity sensitive! :(

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Simmons Drums of the 1980s! Dave Simmons got skittish over his first $40,000.00 in his first year, almost had a nervous breakdown, then quit. Simmons Drums continued with non-triggering, aesthetically beautiful electronic drumkits in the $5,000.00, then $7,500.00, then $10,000.00+ price ranges no unsigned drummer could afford, or would pay, with Simmons Drums generously introducing up to 2 new Simmons Drum Sets in the same year during at least 2 years! The softer rubberised pads with more than one zone didn't trigger anywhere near reliably, either!

Archived