Worst drum products of the past 10 years...

SyntheticTubs

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Don't know if you guys will remember these or not, but when I worked at a music store back in the late 80's, some company came out with square drumsticks. These were trully horible. They hurt like hell to play, and broke where the stick started to round off to taper to the tip after a very short time.

Are you serious??? :freak:

• Members

my finances father plays peavey drums... the upper levels are not that bad, he calls them his george jetson drums.

Sorry Mondo, I didn't mean to step on your fiancee's fathers toes. (Wow, that was a mouthful.) You've got to admit, they're pretty ugly though, the drums that is.

• Members

Physics says that, all other things being equal, thicker materials vibrate/resonate at higher frequencies than thinner materials. Therefore, those of us who want lower-pitched drums ought get shells as thin as possible while maintaining structural integrity and roundness.

Yep, not only that, but the higher mass will absorb the energy of the vibration of the head, lowering resonance. There may be more physics, but my experience has been, the thicker the shell, the higher the pitch, the less resonance, the more volume, and the more overtones. That's why people like thicker snares, more volume, overtones, and higher pitch.

On my current kit, I had low mass lugs made, and went 8-ply all around. I was operating on the principle that all the drums would have a similar "voice." Well, they kind of do, but it turns out I like my snares to "crack", my bass drum to "boom," and my toms to have a sound that I can't make through onomatopoeia.

It's also been my experience that I prefer smaller drums tuned low to higher drums tuned medium. That has to do with minimizing overtones and maximizing the fundamental. As you can gather, I'm pretty fanatical about drum sounds, and like to start with the right shell design rather than head selection.

Also, my first hihats and crash were Camber! Actually, my first hihats were stamped metal trash, Camber was my "upgrade." I thought they were awesome. And I wanted a matching ride, but I couldn't find one, so I got a Zildjian Scimitar. Those were the days...

• Members

Yep, not only that, but the higher mass will absorb the energy of the vibration of the head, lowering resonance. There may be more physics, but my experience has been, the thicker the shell, the higher the pitch, the less resonance, the more volume, and the more overtones. That's why people like thicker snares, more volume, overtones, and higher pitch.

On my current kit, I had low mass lugs made, and went 8-ply all around. I was operating on the principle that all the drums would have a similar "voice." Well, they kind of do, but it turns out I like my snares to "crack", my bass drum to "boom," and my toms to have a sound that I can't make through onomatopoeia.

It's also been my experience that I prefer smaller drums tuned low to higher drums tuned medium. That has to do with minimizing overtones and maximizing the fundamental. As you can gather, I'm pretty fanatical about drum sounds, and like to start with the right shell design rather than head selection.

Also, my first hihats and crash were Camber! Actually, my first hihats were stamped metal trash, Camber was my "upgrade." I thought they were awesome. And I wanted a matching ride, but I couldn't find one, so I got a Zildjian Scimitar. Those were the days...

I have this odd compulsion for a set of the heavy Sonors. There is something about those bubinga/beech/bubinga 12mm shells...

I suppose on a small kit, like 4-pc, certain tunings are more vital. When you have a 10-pc kit, you have drums representative of many points along the specturm. So, the 12" tom can stay where it's comfortable, vs trying to make it too high or low.

On those heavy shells...the drumheads were even more vital to the overall sound. They'd be pretty unforgiving.

• Members

Peavey Drums

I think the demise of the Peavey Drum is in large part due to what an expert on one of the other threads said. That is, "most drummers buy drums with their eyes instead of their ears." The Peavey drums gave drummers what many drummers say they want. That is, virgin drums. Many drum companies advertise that they have the most resonant drums because they have fewer holes drilled in the shell. Drummers want "resonance", or so they say. The Peavey drums had 0 holes drilled it the shells. They were all "virgin". With the proper heads and tuning, they were very resonant. Yet they didn't go over because IMHO they looked funny. I played some at a music store and they seemed to live up to what they were purported to do.

I think it was a quality product that unfortunately didn't catch on.

• Members

Worst Drum Products:...

Hmmm...my first real set of ' cymbals' were by a company called ' Zyn'....kid you not, I really thought that I was hittin as hard as Bonham when I kept turning the cymbals inside out:freak: I don't know what the Brass to Nickel /Tin ratio was in those things but literally , after every song, I'd have to ' BOINK' out the hats, 'BOINK' out the Crash, 'BOINK' out the ride. The ride was huge too,24":eek: Also...those 70s/80s Premier cymbal stands, you know, the ones with the fold up legs and the single nut tension adjust? they looked like you'd stolen your mom's funky Lamp collection.

NORTH drums.

STACATTO DRUMS. Both of these companies who did wonderous sculpture things with drum kits and fibreglass.

The orignal Pearl Exports Hardware lines....On a budget, and they NEVER let you forget it...Soft metal strippable thread blues.

Ludwig stringing lights inside of their Vistalite kits. I saw a drummer with one of those kits who had hooked up some kind of light chaser/organ with the kit. Anyone on acid ran screaming from the place.

Glowstick Drumsticks...you know, those sticks coated with that lumenescent green stuff?

Duraline Drumsticks: this company set out to make the ultimate, indestructible pair of drumsticks...and they succeeded. I bought a pair in the 80s, still got'em. Problem was....I don't think back then they gave much thought to things like shock transference through the sticks, and I'm pretty sure this friggin things have contributed to the pain in my hands and fingers.

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

North drums were kind of cool. They were mega-loud for the day, and fit the sound of the time. They are a collectors item now. Staccato drums are the inspired work of satan himself. They are as ugly as a bucket of smashed rectums.

Premier oval stands of the 70's? Worst stands---ever!...ok, maybe in the top 3 worst.

I forgot: Milestone drums. The drums themselves sounded great. But the hardware was potmetal. Total crap. The hardware would break very easily. It was like chrome-plated peanut brittle.

• Members

Don't know if you guys will remember these or not, but when I worked at a music store back in the late 80's, some company came out with square drumsticks. These were trully horible. They hurt like hell to play, and broke where the stick started to round off to taper to the tip after a very short time.

Had a pair of those back in the day ... hated 'em. . .think i used 'em for kindling in the ol' woodstove. . .

• Members
Yikes. He is totally unwatchble IMO. That guy dresses like a fruitcake, and talks like he has a mouthful of...

Emoticon(22).gif

He actually posted here for a while. Well... by posted i mean he basically just provided links for his videos. After a couple of times, I informed him that we are capable of using youtube ourselves, and suggested that he might want to get a headset mic, and asked him to post some videos of him playing in a musical context. I don't think he's been back since around that time. He didn't seem to respond well to suggestions.

edit: hey wait.... you would of been here then also wouldn't you.... for some reason i thought you weren't. Ignore me.

• Moderators
He actually posted here for a while. Well... by posted i mean he basically just provided links for his videos. After a couple of times, I informed him that we are capable of using youtube ourselves, and suggested that he might want to get a headset mic, and asked him to post some videos of him playing in a musical context. I don't think he's been back since around that time. He didn't seem to respond well to suggestions.

edit: hey wait.... you would of been here then also wouldn't you.... for some reason i thought you weren't. Ignore me.

He plays some pretty cool stuff, but seriously, WTF? :confused:

• Members
Worst Drum Products:...

Duraline Drumsticks: this company set out to make the ultimate, indestructible pair of drumsticks...and they succeeded. I bought a pair in the 80s, still got'em.

i tried those back in the 80's too. AND the Duraline kevlar heads!!!!!! :eek:

• Members

Pro Mark PVC stick caddy thing. Two PVC tubes bolted to a big clip used to carry a few pair of sticks. I like the idea but the bolts on mine always rattle loose, So I had to put it on the floor and clip it to the bottom of my high hat stand. It was always falling off or turning over and sticks fall out.

I too had the cheap Asian made stencil set with Space Percussion and Cort stands as well. Not anything like soft metal coming apart in your hands. Having to buy new cheap tom arms because the tube dented in so far that it wouldn't tighten up anymore.

My First cymbals were Royce. The inverted line. A friend of mine had a Camber, they would have been an upgrade. My Royce hats were so dented up that they started cracking in two places. I was in high school and working at McD's at the time so I couldn't afford better ones for awhile. It's pretty bad when your hats buzz when you hit them!:eek:

I then went with Zildjian Amir hats (which were Zild's entry line then but they VERY decent hats! I liked them better than my friends 80's New Beats!)
ANd A Zild. and Sabians later on.

Good thread! Sometimes I forget all the crappy stuff I had to learn on but I wouldn't change it as well. I learned so much from it all. I remember using a paper clip as safety wire to keep the spring nut from backing off on my first pedal and had to bore out the beater hole when I got a new beater for it. I even had to put tape on each side of the beater cam because it started sliding back and forth. I still have it today and it still works because of my repairs!

• Members

Pro Mark PVC stick caddy thing. Two PVC tubes bolted to a big clip used to carry a few pair of sticks. I like the idea but the bolts on mine always rattle loose, So I had to put it on the floor and clip it to the bottom of my high hat stand. It was always falling off or turning over and sticks fall out.

I'm totally with you on this, always came loose no matter what. I lost one side and was just using the one for a while before I finally chucked it and forgot about it till now. Another thing is if you yanked the stick out fast it would sometimes get scraped by the bolt, another great idea with a poor design.

This is a fun thread.

• Members

I too had the cheap Asian made stencil set with Space Percussion and Cort stands as well. Not anything like soft metal coming apart in your hands. Having to buy new cheap tom arms because the tube dented in so far that it wouldn't tighten up anymore.

My First cymbals were Royce. The inverted line. A friend of mine had a Camber, they would have been an upgrade. My Royce hats were so dented up that they started cracking in two places. I was in high school and working at McD's at the time so I couldn't afford better ones for awhile. It's pretty bad when your hats buzz when you hit them!
:eek:

I then went with Zildjian Amir hats (which were Zild's entry line then but they VERY decent hats! I liked them better than my friends 80's New Beats!)

ANd A Zild. and Sabians later on.

Good thread! Sometimes I forget all the crappy stuff I had to learn on but I wouldn't change it as well. I learned so much from it all. I remember using a paper clip as safety wire to keep the spring nut from backing off on my first pedal and had to bore out the beater hole when I got a new beater for it. I even had to put tape on each side of the beater cam because it started sliding back and forth. I still have it today and it still works because of my repairs!

I laugh, cry and even get pissed when I think of how atrocious some of the old stuff was. Even recently, there are/were some very bad ideas.

Anyone remember tom holder that were nothing more than clips? They'd come loose and the tom would rotate down? Or those Slingerland holders with a full FIVE degrees of adjustment?

Hercules by Ludwig? Fat tubular unweighted stands that would flop over.

It's like a parade of bad memories for me. Today's drummers really are spoiled by the wide availability of high quality drums and hardware.

Even a yamaha rydeen now, is better than some intermediate and high end kits of the 70's and 80's. "Far East Piece of {censored}" (FEPOS) or "Asian firewood" kits are almost nonexistent now past $299.

Remember CB 700 or ROK particle board drums?
drum8201.jpg

The original Remo acousticrap err acousticon shells that would easily deform...

• Members

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUICK! SOMEBODY GOUGE OUT MY EYBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived