Worst drum products of the past 10 years...

SyntheticTubs

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Rude cymbals!: too dense and too hard to project cymbal sound, looked like, and sounded like, hammered metal garbage can lids muted with thick layers of acrylic paint. ...Available in camouflage khaki colours of the jungle!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...Worst Drum Products... Rude cymbals!: too dense and too hard to project cymbal sound, looked like, and sounded like, hammered metal garbage can lids muted with thick layers of acrylic paint. ...Available in camouflage khaki colours of the jungle!

I'll have to debate you on that! Those beasts were kickin and smashed hard and strong! Loved them...but they did break a little too easy...unfortubately like a lot of Paiste cymbals.

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Ludwig acrylic drums! The damned things cracked from top to bottom, between the holes for the tension casings, from normal use! ...always avoid rim shots, and play up to mezzo-forte, with Ludwig acrylic drums! Vistalite!

• Members

I may not know the worst product, but I do know the worst concept...IMO

The internal mufflers on most snare drums. My old Ludwigs and Pearl's had them. To muffle you either lifted a lever or turned a wheel and the muffling unit raised up to meet the head. Just what we needed muffling in the opposite direction of how the drum is attacked. Talk about killing sound...and not just overtones. Naw, I dumped them off as soon as I saw them. Use the wallet trick at first, and then went to the almighty DTBN combination, and finally to the lunar goop sticky...:facepalm: woe is me...life of an old fart in a new world...:rolleyes:

• Members

...Worst Drum Products... Aluminium - Aluminum in the U.S. - Drumsticks, revisited: looked like, and felt like, aluminium knitting needles... too light! ...the plastic lower ends/knobs were lovely: flew right off during normal use for the unfinished edge of the aluminium tube to scatch your cymbals!

• Members

I'll tell you thought, the Trueline synthetic sticks were great. They were like little rubber fibers that withstood about 10-20 times as much beating as the wood sticks. Back in the days of me going through 2-3 pairs of sticks a night, they lasted months.

• Members

...we would start a new thread: Best Percussion Products! ...custom sterling Silver concert cymbals and concert Cymbal pairs still in use in Vienna... ...yamaha oak custom drums... a 5-1/2 x 14 yamaha oak custom Snare is the ultimate Concert Snare Drum, the solid oak projects clearly, unmic'd, over big bands in outdoor bandshells and orchestras in concert halls and threatres, and amplified rock bands! Buy one, buy a whole yamaha oak custom drumset, and you will love the precise, perfectly tight tone control, and control over the drum heads and drumshell which does not bend during your louder performances! ...www,Aural.at dual snare Concert Snare Drums, $3,700.00 USD... ...dunnett titanium snare drums... no metal bell overtone/ringing! watch the demos on www.youtube.com! search: dunnett titanium snare drums!

• Members

...Best Percussion Products... Aural Drums are played by the Percussion Section of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra! Watch/Listen to neujahrskonzert, and neujahrskonzert 2009, especially to the Radetsky Marsch, on www.youtube.com! Performances of Aural endorsers Martin Grubinger at www.martingrubinger.at and www.youtube.com, and Philipp Kopmajer for his Sister Simone Kopmajer, www.simonekopmajer.com, Simone's albums available from www.amazon.com and others.

• Members

...best electronic percussion sampling system: roland spd-s! ...Best in Show at NAMM! ...if the thing had a fan to cool the sampler... ...and if the AC adapter would stay cool... the spd-s would not skip and shut off within 2-3 hours! ...in cold weather, the spd-s runs perfectly for hours! ...the spd-s is a small system - don't smash the spd-s, although you can play VERY hard! - with heavy-duty pads of very heavy duty rubber, with 3 adjustable pick-up Settings, and the 30 onboard multieffects are "noiseless", but not ambient, yet sound great because the multiefffects are "noiseless", and enhance the multiple digital Equalisers! ...resample!: Sample from your Sampler through a good analog dual 31-band PA Equaliser ...and high-end multieffects from kurzweil... THEN Save to your Sampler! TRULY Awesome High Resolution/Definition!

• Members

...Best Percussion Products... ...custom Paiste brass Drumset! VERY expensive! ...was custom built by Paiste for Carl, and was used by Carl Palmer for his own band during recent years! Awesome tone! ...Carl had some of his very own drum solo mp3s on one of his own official website pages!

• Members

Okay, I HAVE to DISAGREE with 2 different people.
1. Paiste RUDE cymbals ARE KILLER!
They may NOT be for YOU! HOWEVER, THEY fricken ROCK!
I have a whole ton of them to prove it!
2. Evans MIRROR (or ROCK CHROME) heads were VERY EASY to get!
They were NOT a 2-3 day promotional item!
Back in 1993, LONG AFTER they were out, I was able to order
and get an 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 inch tom heads
AND (1) 22 inch bass head and (2) 24 inch bass drum heads,
ALL in a span of 3-4 months.
I bought 2-3 heads at a time. They were listed in the
Thoroughbred Music Catalog and in Midwest Percussion catalogs.
That`s where I got mine from.
NOW: For the WORST DRUM ITEMS: I`ll say:
1. CAMBER Cymbals-I used to play those pieces of {censored}, before I got my
Paiste RUDE cymbals! The cambers broke within 2-4 weeks after I
bought them.
2. MAXWIN-By Pearl drums, ROYCE drums, Or ANY Tiawan
piece of {censored} made in the EARLY 80`s,
I ALSO, want to ad CB-700 drums on that list as well!

• Members

...would you fellow drumgeniuses - drumgeniuses, I never knew a percussionist who was not a genius! I took private lessons from Henry Adler the year before he was in Desperately Seeking Susan with Madonna! - like the best of the best Sounds for your Samplers, and percussion sampling systems? ...www.vsl.co.at: The Best Of the Best Music Sounds!, the Strings and Percussion Vienna Symphonic Library Sounds available in smaller bundles from ww.samplebase.com! ...you can always sample all of The Best Of The Best Sounds from any and all demos which typically feature almost all of the best Sounds of a Sound Library! ...sample Premier HTS Long- and Short Shell Field/Marching Snare Drums from Scottish Drummers on youtube!

Archived