Drum Video: Show Us Your Stuff!

Dendy Jarrett

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post
I take it you're over dubbing cymbals.
Yeah, we record the drums and cymbals separately.

BTW what is that behind you looks like rolls of paper?
Cardboard tubes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooseh View Post
Hey chaps and chapesses,
I'm already a member of a fair few forums around the interweb but I found this one and thought I'd sign up and see what was on offer. smile.gif

Watched a fair few of the videos here and I can safely say that I'm not quite at the level to compete with some of you guys yet but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

These are a couple of original tracks that we video at one of our rehearsals, they are not quite complete yet and a little rough (Especially towards the end) and unfortunately our lead guitarist decided to stand between me and the camera. Anyway here they are let me know what you think smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adcZ-2NZ2Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_HvMdeF9o
It's cool that you get to rehearse in the transporter room of the USS Enterprise. thumb.gif

• Members
Thanks man,
I gotta try that, no cymbal bleed into the mics I bet it does sound clean mixed. Thanks for showing us that.
I knew some people would like to see it, so I busted out the camera. I have more....

• Members

Okay,
here's a new one, a lil' bit different from my other videos, check it out :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIoC...e=channel_page

I have already 30 dvd-s full of my home made vids, and it's pretty interesting to see, how my skills are developed at the time /from november/. Of course I have a _lot to learn, but the feeling of evolving is priceless biggrin.gif

• Members

Zero Heroes, I'd like to hear the finished track, that'd be pretty cool. I've never seen anybody track cymbals and drums seperately. I've seen overdubs done but never completely seperate the cymbals and the drums.

Thanks man,
I gotta try that, no cymbal bleed into the mics I bet it does sound clean mixed. Thanks for showing us that.
I'd imagine it's more so about no drum bleed in the overheads... I suppose it's great for isolation but with such a beautiful sounding room... why? Are you using room mics? I'd imagine the final track would sound really dry unless you're using verbs, but still, why bother with fake reverb when you've got a great sounding room in the first place? Just trying to wrap my head around this approach, here. Might be something I'll have to try one day.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post
Zero Heroes, I'd like to hear the finished track, that'd be pretty cool. I've never seen anybody track cymbals and drums seperately. I've seen overdubs done but never completely seperate the cymbals and the drums.
I can when we finish the album in a month or so. I know I'm not the first to do this, though I've never seen anyone do it either. This method was the only logical way to get what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post
I'd imagine it's more so about no drum bleed in the overheads... I suppose it's great for isolation but with such a beautiful sounding room... why? Are you using room mics? I'd imagine the final track would sound really dry unless you're using verbs, but still, why bother with fake reverb when you've got a great sounding room in the first place? Just trying to wrap my head around this approach, here. Might be something I'll have to try one day.

It is a good sounding room. There were two room mics and one in the hallway... if I remember correctly.

• Members

well, this is from the weekend, already with some groove, the next one will be pure groovin', i think.
enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8su4...eature=channel

/btw, watching in HQ is way more effective because the small nuances.

and a bonus question: is it a stupid idea to change the top and the bottom of a hi hat, if i enjoy the voice of the changed one?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalVikng View Post
For those of us without a digital video camera.... how are you guys recording these? I'd love to contribute!
Mine takes tape, but it had a firewire jack on it that I can plug it into the comp and capture whats on the tape to comp with movie maker. If you don't have that you can use a video interface, costs like 100 bucks. I need one of those too, for capturing video from old VHS tape.
Other tan that, you can use a web cam if ya got one, or most digital still cameras can take video now too, and even a lot of cell phones. Or I think Best Buy had those flips or whatever they're called, digital video cams, on sale for like 50 bucks the other day.

Archived