Signatures

Okay, I got the word on sigs. They're messed-up because they were imported to the new software as HTML, which was apparently how they had to be imported from the old software. Sorry, but there's nothing I can do about that.

However, you can easily fix our own sig - here's how:

Go in to your User Settings - you can get there by clicking on your name in the upper-right hand corner of the page, and selecting "User Settings" from the drop down menu.

Next, click on the "Account" tab.

Scroll down to where it says:

Conversation

Detail Options

Visible Post Elements

Show Signatures

Show Avatar

Edit Post Signature

As a side note, notice the "Show Signatures" check box. If you'd rather not see signatures, you can uncheck this box and click "Save Changes" (blue box at the bottom of the page), and signatures should then be invisible to you, site-wide.

Continuing on with the sig-fix instructions, click on "Edit Post Signature".

Delete all the HTML code (stuff like etc.) and lay out the sig the way you want it to look.

Hit save.

Standard vB codes seem to be working in sigs, so you can use those codes to insert links, make stuff bold or italicized, etc.

Since vB doesn't include this as a default, another thing I'd recommend is adding a line to the top of your sig so people know where your posts stop and your sig begins. I use a line of asterisks, but a line of dashes or underscores would probably work just as well.

will image-able signatures be available in the future?

Can you put an image in your sig? Sure... if you know how. ;) You just need to do it with vB codes. There's no link in the sig editor to help facilitate it, and frankly I would rather not see large images in everyone's sigs since it can make reading threads harder (and we reserve the right to edit them out if they're too big or otherwise objectionable), but I put one into my sig to show that it can be done. :)

Edit: I have since then removed the image from my sig to keep it from being annoyingly long. :):o

• Members
Since vB doesn't include this as a default' date=' another thing I'd recommend is adding a line to the top of your sig so people know where your posts stop and your sig begins. I use a line of asterisks, but a line of dashes or underscores would probably work just as well.[/quote']

everything works except my line of tildes insists on inserting a space right near the end. i tried to shorten line via a new line, but...

• Members

Hi Phil - do you know of any other settings that could reduce data-useage on mobile phone? i've switched off sigs, but since i returned to the forum in the past few weeks my data useage has gone up massively compared to previous months. my data useage pre-HC-update wasn't this high either so it makes me think it could be this 'new' design?

Hi Phil - do you know of any other settings that could reduce data-useage on mobile phone? i've switched off sigs, but since i returned to the forum in the past few weeks my data useage has gone up massively compared to previous months. my data useage pre-HC-update wasn't this high either so it makes me think it could be this 'new' design?

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know of any reason why the new format would be any more data-intensive than the old one, and short of turning off sigs, I am not sure of what else you can realistically do to lower the amount of data per page view. Maybe turn off avatars? I'm not sure if you can turn off images or avatars with vB5... outside of that, there's probably not much you can do.

• Members
Where do you even find your user CP? I went into my settings but found no place to edit my sig.

Click on your name at the top right and choose User Settings from the dropdown menu.

Hit the Account tab and scroll down to Conversation Detail Options and click Edit Post Signature.

A box will appear with your sig. Delete all the html junk (<div class="signaturecontainer", etc.) and use BBcode tags - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBcode#Tags

Archived