anyone plays with fingers AND a pick?

Ezeh

• Members

yesterday i was in the soundcheck of some friends band, and i discovered that the bassist had a weird/neat way of playing... he had a pick, in his hand, between his palm and his index finger, and played fingerstyle with the middle and ring finger, then in other parts of songs swapped to the pick, to change the way it sounds and the volume. i thought it was a cool idea. wanted to share :)

• Members

Thats interesting...we have exactly *one* song that I use a pick on, mostly because it's too fargin fast for me to play with my fingers (although I am working on it). I palm it throughout the song for different parts, not sure if that is what you are talking about tho.

• Members

Ditto. I palm it when not in use. I've gotten pretty good at the transition.

Anyone seen video of that Jauqo XIII dude? He does this weird thing where he grips a pick between the second knuckles of his index and middle fingers; He slaps and pops with his index, and throws in some pick trills here and there. Nothing I'd use, but a cool original approach nonetheless.

• Members

I used to use a pick a lot more in my high school band...then I did about half and half...now I almost exclusively use fingers except when I need it for some effect, i.e. on one song I need to play alternating notes on the D and G string and have them ring out, which I couldn't do with fingers or I'd mute the D whenever playing a G string note.

When live, I wedge the pick between the pup and the body.

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

I use a pick on a couple of songs. Usually just keep them on top of my rack - turn around and grab one.

+1 same here. I usually have 4 or five sittin there for when I need em. There's a couple tunes where I use fingers and pick in the same tune. For those I just crimp my index finger around to hang on to the pick til I need it.

I'm about half and half during a show.

• Members

Originally posted by hobobot009

Matt Freeman of Rancid plays bass like that, awesome bass player.

Are you sure about that, cause I'm pretty positive he only uses a pick. Nothing on the records sounds one bit like fingers, but I havn't seen him live so I could be wrong (I might never get to either...since he got the black lung and all...:( )

• Members

Originally posted by oneinchshawn

Are you sure about that, cause I'm pretty positive he only uses a pick. Nothing on the records sounds one bit like fingers, but I havn't seen him live so I could be wrong (I might never get to either...since he got the black lung and all...
:(
)

He uses picks. Black Lung? care to elaborate?

• Members

Originally posted by Undertoad

Anyone use a thumb pick? I was thinking about trying that as something different.

I have used one. Pain in the ass really. Sounds like a pick but if you have really fat thumbs they can get uncomfortable.

The pick/fingers thing is exactly like Eric Johnson's guitar playing or some of John Frusciante's licks.

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

damn I didn't know that. When was this?

It was a couple weeks ago. For some reason it wasn't widely reported...neither punknews.org, the Epitaph site, the Hellcat site or the Epitaph site made mention of it. Apparently they caught it early so hopefully he will make a full recovery.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by takeout

Ditto. I palm it when not in use. I've gotten pretty good at the transition.

Anyone seen video of that Jauqo XIII dude? He does this weird thing where he grips a pick between the second knuckles of his index and middle fingers; He slaps and pops with his index, and throws in some pick trills here and there. Nothing I'd use, but a cool original approach nonetheless.

Here's a clip of Jauqo III-X

after you click the link,click the box that says jauqo.wmv(13.6m)

http://www.benaventeguitars.com/namm2004w/vid.htm

• Members

Originally posted by Ezeh

yesterday i was in the soundcheck of some friends band, and i discovered that the bassist had a weird/neat way of playing... he had a pick, in his hand, between his palm and his index finger, and played fingerstyle with the middle and ring finger, then in other parts of songs swapped to the pick, to change the way it sounds and the volume. i thought it was a cool idea. wanted to share
:)

Oh cool I do that too, except I rest the pick in between my pinky and my palm.

• Members

Originally posted by Droplaw621

wtf are you talking about. Sometimes you just have to use a pick. Try playing 16ths for 4 minutes straight. Fingers and arm gets very tired.

Proper finger technique uses very small efficient movements, if anything it should be less tiring than using a pick. If your arm is getting tired from playing fingerstyle something's not right - maybe try lowering your strap a little as your plucking arm might be cramping or tensing due to the angle?

Playing with a pick is like throttling yourself with a belt and blowing hot air on your balls with a hairdryer while you masturbate - sometimes it's just the only way to get the job done

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

Playing with a pick is like throttling yourself with a belt and blowing hot air on your balls with a hairdryer while you masturbate - sometimes it's just the only way to get the job done

Someone should sig this.

EDIT: K I did it. :D

Archived