International Community: Hurricane Katrina

Thunderbroom

• Members

What L. Ron said. We are the biggest dog on the porch. We took a direct 1-2 punch from Mother Nature. We will get up, dust ourself off, and lick our wounds. It will take a while. My sympathy and prayers for those who didn't make it. Has anyone heard from spiderman?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by J the D

The reason people are dying in not because there are not enough eople that want to help. They are dying because damage to the infrastructure won't let people get there to help.

It takes three days to mobilize. The help is coming. Even if the international community wanted to send people to help they couldn't be there yet. The second day is always the worst. Just ask the survivors of Hurricane Andrew.

+1

The devastastion leaved is terrible, the photos I've seen were really sad. It looks very bad. :(

But I really don't have any idea how Slovakia could help (except kind words and sympathy). We participate in many programs and missions (medicaments, cloths, earthquake rescue teams...), but nothing of this stuff is needed in USA. Another issue is, that even if we have something that could help (maybe few helicopters (but I doubt they could operate in States :D), water pumps..) we don't have the option to move it to another continent in close time. :(

Another problems is, that it doesn't look like national catastrophe - the damage is HUGE, but it doesn't look like it's something you coulnd't handle. Floodings hit Slovakia almost every year. Sometimes are just small, sometimes bigger. From time to time they are huge on national level and that's the time for international help and coordinated actions.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Actually, I just heard on NPR that the diesel generators at the hospitals are running out of fuel. Getting desparate.

The two biggest hospitals (Charity and Tulane) have both been evacuated to north Louisiana and Texas.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Perhaps we should take the same attitude in Africa regarding AIDS. The billions going over there for that useless cause would really come in handy. Or to the never-ending stream of civil wars and government-sanctioned genocides that we've spent dollars and lives, trying to pick up the pieces of refugee'd children, shattered economies etc.

This is just one more excuse from a world that does nothing but take. {censored} all of them.

Yep. The US gives more to causes around the world than anyone and when we have a disaster Venezuela comes through again.

• Members

Perhaps we should take the same attitude in Africa regarding AIDS. The billions going over there for that useless cause would really come in handy. Or to the never-ending stream of civil wars and government-sanctioned genocides that we've spent dollars and lives, trying to pick up the pieces of refugee'd children, shattered economies etc.

This is just one more excuse from a world that does nothing but take. {censored} all of them.

yeah, States GAVE something, and they TOOK it. {censored}ers, bloody {censored}ers!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by megadan

This argument consists mostly of eye-rolling.

Because there really is no argument. The US gives, rarely receives, and the most of the world hates us. Anything untrue there? The bull{censored} I've often heard, even here, is that people don't hate America or Americans, they hate our leaders. Well, our leaders aren't located in New Orleans or Biloxi, but the attitudes about helping there either mean people in the rest of the world don't know geography or they're full of {censored} about not hating us.

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

The reason people are dying in not because there are not enough eople that want to help. They are dying because damage to the infrastructure won't let people get there to help.

It takes three days to mobilize. The help is coming. Even if the international community wanted to send people to help they couldn't be there yet. The second day is always the worst. Just ask the survivors of Hurricane Andrew.

+1. (What? A reasonable post in this thread?) It's not that we don't have the resources to fix it, but the problems with delivery. Ever driven a truck through a swamp or a river? Where should helicopters drop food? On roofs about to collapse?

Really amazing that so many posters don't stop to think that the U.S. not only consumes the largest chunk of world resources, we have the resources to fix most of our national disasters. Most of the world cannot say that. And most of the world, even some advanced industrial countries, do not have anywhere close to the logistical capabilities of the U.S. to deliver huge amounts of aid over large continents and oceans. It hardly follows that many ordinary non-Americans are somehow ungrateful for U.S. aid.

But what the hell, if it makes you feel good to blame other people in a disaster, because many cannot do what you can, let alone on the same proportion/scale, or to project ungratefulness on absolutely everyone...? That'll fix things.

• Members
Originally posted by Zamfir

+1. (What? A reasonable post in this thread?) It's not that we don't have the resources to fix it, but the problems with delivery. Ever driven a truck through a swamp or a river? Where should helicopters drop food? On roofs about to collapse?

Really amazing that so many posters don't stop to think that the U.S. not only consumes the largest chunk of world resources, we have the resources to fix most of our national disasters. Most of the world cannot say that. And most of the world, even some advanced industrial countries, do not have anywhere close to the logistical capabilities of the U.S. to deliver huge amounts of aid over large continents and oceans.

Plus they usually aren't as good looking as we are. :(

• Members

Because there really is no argument. The US gives, rarely receives, and the most of the world hates us. Anything untrue there? The bull{censored} I've often heard, even here, is that people don't hate America or Americans, they hate our leaders. Well, our leaders aren't located in New Orleans or Biloxi, but the attitudes about helping there either mean people in the rest of the world don't know geography or they're full of {censored} about not hating
us

You're absolutly correct.

I know when the Tsunami hit I said to people don't give money. They said how can you be so heartless. I then explained to them that that money isn't going to reach the people that you think it is. It's going to go to warlords and those in charge of terrorist organizations, sure enough it did. Not only that but the majority of the people hit by the Tsunami hate us anyway. here's an interesting picture taken from the Tsunami, look at the guys t shirt

*Warning first set of pics are graphic and show the bodies of the contrators killed in Falluga, pic I'm referring to is below that*

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-prs/pictures033104.html

So fer I read articles like the one posted yesterday about people throwing parades in honor or the Hurricane I'm not suprised. Best thing we can do is get off of the teat of Foreign oil and let the rest of those parts of the world burn.

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

You're absolutly correct.

I know when the Tsunami hit I said to people don't give money. They said how can you be so heartless. I then explained to them that that money isn't going to reach the people that you think it is.

While some relief organizations eat up a lot of aid with their overhead, and should be researched, many do not. This is effectively an excuse/myth for people to feel better about not giving. Congratulations on perpetuating it.

It's going to go to warlords and those in charge of terrorist organizations, sure enough it did.

Can you please provide a credible source on the breakdown of aid that allegedly went to terrorists and warlords, compared to the homeless, sick, and starving?

Should we stop saving even a substantial minority of *lives*?

Not only that but the majority of the people hit by the Tsunami hate us anyway.

Again...source? Public opinion research on the US image among Indonesians suggested a strong upswing in positive attitudes towards Americans following tsunami relief. Here's one example:

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=%5CForeignBureaus%5Carchive%5C200503%5CFOR20050309a.html

Regardless if a country's public opinion displays a majority of people with favorable attitudes towards America or not, I prefer improvement over no improvement. And you won't get it with the Seinfeld Soup Nazi telling the rest of the world "{censored} off, no aid for you!"

here's an interesting picture taken from the Tsunami, look at the guys t shirt

Anecdotes of one US hater in a tsunami-afflicted country hardly speak for the entire community. Not only are you not going to eradicate anti-US feeling in every country to the last man (not even in America), it'd be interesting to see what a hungry man or child with his life in the balance thinks of that argument.

• Members
Originally posted by lug

I'm not going to mess with Venturawest's girlfriend!
:eek:
What kind of a cad do you think I am?

One with six kids and regular beatings from Mrs. Lug? :confused:

But, since you ask about cad opportunities:

"I haveta think like a varmint. Haveta smell like a varmint. Gotta BE...a varmint."

Or something like that. :confused:

• Members

[

While some relief organizations eat up a lot of aid with their overhead, and should be researched, many do not. This is effectively an excuse/myth for people to feel better about not giving. Congratulations on perpetuating it.

That is quite an assumption to say that the reason people don't give is because of these so called "myths". It's just as easy to turn your statement around and say that those who do give do not think about just where the money is going. Instead they are just giving it away out of the kindness of their heart.

an you please provide a credible source on the breakdown of aid that allegedly went to terrorists and warlords, compared to the homeless, sick, and starving?

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,363663,00.html

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1703452005

I would cite more web sites but I'm at work and don't have time

Should we stop saving even a substantial minority of *lives*?

If they hate us and want to kill us then yes. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Regardless if a country's public opinion displays a majority of people with favorable attitudes towards America or not, I prefer improvement over no improvement. And you won't get it with the Seinfeld Soup Nazi telling the rest of the world "{censored} off, no aid for you!"

So let me get this straight because maybe I'm a bit confused. What you are saying is that it is ok for us to send billions of dollars to a country that preaches hate and raises their childeren to hate us? And by doing so, like we've been doing for all these years suddenly we'll change the way they feel about us? Are you new here? I mean I would think by now that even a semi-rational person sees the folly in this.

Anecdotes of one US hater in a tsunami-afflicted country hardly speak for the entire community. Not only are you not going to eradicate anti-US feeling in every country to the last man (not even in America), it'd be interesting to see what a hungry man or child with his life in the balance thinks of that argument.

One US hater....huh. Do you really think that that guy designed and printed that tshirt up himself? Bin Laden is seen as George Washington to these people.
As far as the hungry man comment, I don't care what he thinks. Once he gets the sustinance which we provide do you really think he will really think that America is the greatest? Come on.

Archived