International Community: Hurricane Katrina

Thunderbroom

• Members

What's the reaction to this around the world? I haven't really seen alot reported but am relying on the BBC and various internet sources.

Is the international community donating to this cause as the US consistently does in times like this? It seems the US gets dumped on for never doing enough internationally, yet I'm disheartened when I don't read about the world reciprocating during our time of need.
:(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just talking about this very thing this morning. My guess is there is not going to be anything other than words of sympathy from any foreign countries. It is very typical, but we are on our own and take care of our own when we need to. Just like 9/11. Hopefully I will be proven wrong...

:(

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Well that's very generous, but I question the value of it considering everything in New Orleans that uses fuel is
under
water at the present time.

Actually, I just heard on NPR that the diesel generators at the hospitals are running out of fuel. Getting desparate.

• Members

The US has one of the best emergency management responce teams in the world. International aid is usually used for places that cannot deal with the crisis at hand.
As bad as all the flooding is down there, we can pretty much deal with most of it.

• Members
Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Regardless of the number of emergency response teams the US has, people are
dying
down there because there is still not enough help.

Yup, and it could have been a whole lot worse :(
Like I said, it would be nice if we got more, but I'm not really expecting a lot in terms of international aid.

• Members

Yeah. That Yahoo article mentioned many countries see it as the US getting what it desrves, since we're considered the main component to global warming.

Prove to me scientifically and unequivicably that global warming exhists. To what extent. And to exactly where we are in the cycle.

And that it is man-made, not natural.

And that it is significant.

And that we're the only ones responsible.

What bull{censored}.

There have been reports saying that as some areas experience increases in storm action, other areas see decreases, and that it's more a natural phenomina than a global warming issue.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by bassman1956

Yeah. That Yahoo article mentioned many countries see it as the US getting what it desrves, since we're considered the main component to global warming.

Perhaps we should take the same attitude in Africa regarding AIDS. The billions going over there for that useless cause would really come in handy. Or to the never-ending stream of civil wars and government-sanctioned genocides that we've spent dollars and lives, trying to pick up the pieces of refugee'd children, shattered economies etc.

This is just one more excuse from a world that does nothing but take. {censored} all of them.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Regardless of the number of emergency response teams the US has, people are
dying
down there because there is still not enough help.

The reason people are dying in not because there are not enough eople that want to help. They are dying because damage to the infrastructure won't let people get there to help.

It takes three days to mobilize. The help is coming. Even if the international community wanted to send people to help they couldn't be there yet. The second day is always the worst. Just ask the survivors of Hurricane Andrew.

• Members
Originally posted by Mudbass

Well that's very generous, but I question the value of it considering everything in New Orleans that uses fuel is
under
water at the present time.

Well, maybe that's why no one offers you aid, cause you're so damn ungrateful :rolleyes:

Hospitols, rescue vehicals, choppers, aid trucks, etc...

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

The reason people are dying in not because there are not enough eople that want to help. They are dying because damage to the infrastructure won't let people get there to help.

It takes three days to mobilize. The help is coming. Even if the international community wanted to send people to help they couldn't be there yet. The second day is always the worst. Just ask the survivors of Hurricane Andrew.

This is true.

From what I can see, plenty of people up here are donating money and such for the relief effort.

I'm sure there's a general perception that the US has much more resources to deal with these kinds of disasters than, say, Indonesia, does. I'm not sure that's a good reason not to offer some help though.

The US is the big dog in the world today, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there's some resentment in other parts of the world. It comes with the territory. Again, I'm not sure that's a good reason for the US to become more isolationist or to give up its humanitarian efforts.

Archived