What have you guys got against Soundgear basses?

mabus013

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

What kind of amp were you using on the Bart-loaded ones?

I've played a few basses loaded with the Bart Mk. setup, and low end was always VERY present.

i do believe it was a marshall which was at the store... the thing weighed so light it was unbelievable... like a hollowbodied plywood guitar. maybe it was one of the earlier not so consistend mik models.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ibanez has had numerous Korean models for years. You'd have to go back to about to at least the early 90s before you get into early Korean ones.

See, I've played about 5 different Cort basses loaded with those Bart pickups. And Cort makes the vast majority of Korean Ibanez instruments, and none of those instruments lacked low end.

You didn't get the EQ backwards, by chance? Though I think the store ones are usually marked.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Ibanez has had numerous Korean models for years. You'd have to go back to about to at least the early 90s before you get into early Korean ones.

See, I've played about 5 different Cort basses loaded with those Bart pickups. And Cort makes the vast majority of Korean Ibanez instruments, and none of those instruments lacked low end.

You didn't get the EQ backwards, by chance? Though I think the store ones are usually marked.

nope only yamaha marks theirs from the stores i've been to.

the controls from left to right with u looking down at the bass at playing position bass-mid-treble. didn't screw up the controls my ears aren't built like lug's :p

might have just been that one bass which was screwed up. gonna go on a 5 string bass testing spree soon. i'll hand in a new reevaluation of my take on the new sdgrs then :)

• Members

I have absolutely NOTHING against Soundgear (see sig). Even the lowest range is good enough for me and a good bang for the buck.

My first Soundgear was an - at the time - top-of-the-line SR1000, back in 1989. I still use it as my main axe. Nice.

I think people's bashing of cheap instruments is some sort of snobism or elitism. Saying straight off that a cheap bass doesn't sound good is wrong. They don't sound bad. They're just different, that's all.

A REAL bass player knows how to make a broomstick sound sweet and the gear he or she happens to use isn't all that important. Any bass will do.

I own many cheap basses and they are all very good instruments. You just need to know how to set them up and how to play them correctly. I know I do.

All of you cheap-bass haters: You're AMATEURS! :D

-DMC-

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

We're talking about SR basses. They're not all cheap, far from it.

Especially not the SR1000.

Yeah, sorry. My bad.

Some posts here just seemed to be directed towards the low-end range of SR. My GSR205 is one of them. Indonesian made. But I like it.

In general, I would say any SR would be a good bang for the buck. Certainly not overpriced. There is an SR that's above 1500

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

I had an SG1300 and it was a real looker but the tone was muddy. They never impressed me.

I dumped it as quickly as possible and got a Fender.
:thu:

I need to eventually get me a good old-school bass. Fender P, Jazz, Ric, Stingray, something like that.

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

It's good to have at least one to round out your sound arsenal.

Old school? Don't think so. They are just as hot today as they have ever been.

By old-school, I mean classic, timeless design. Face it, a Jazz bass just isn't gonna age like other instruments, for example. Sure it has mojo, but will never really seem 'old'.

• Members

I've used an SR885 for the last few years as my main bass, and I like it pretty well. Very flexible controls, easy neck. It was my second bass, replacing a cheap, well abused passive Epiphone P/J. The sound is generally a bit "smooth" for what I seem to want. I usually end up leaving it set flat except for a little balance toward the bridge. I recently bought a G&L SB-2 from a forumite, and I'm liking it a lot better so far. It has a much more lively tone and fits with my band more neatly I think. Interestingly it is a like a less crappy version of the old Epi.

I'm not ready to sell the SR quite yet though. I'm going to swap back and forth for the next few practices to see if maybe I want to keep them both. I need the low B for a few songs, so I might try stringing the G&L BEAD.

• Members

the first bass I ever bought was a SD in the $800-$900 range. I can't tell you how many times I had to have that neck worked on. Plus the sound it produced just sounded hollow to me. After a few years of that I decided to get a Ernie Ball Sterling. I haven't looked back since.

I'm more than used to a wider neck bass now but I wish I had started out on one. It took me awhile to get used to it.

• Members

I tried a SG 585. It was a active 5 string brown wood finish bass. It looked nice but the tone was too flat. I couldn't get a fat enough low end for my gospel gigs and the slap tone didn't sizzle. On top of that the damn srings were sooooo close together That slap style was out of the question. So, it wasn't to "MY " taste.

A cat I know plays one that sounds like the model you have. He swears by Ibanez and wants one of their six strings models ( the Prestige looks nice). I think his bass sounds like crap and so does the choir director we both play for (but in all fairness I think thats because the neck and intonation needs adjusting). But even So, it would probably sound like the one I tried. So, it all boils down to what you like.

P.S.

I play a Warwick Thumb 5 w/3 band e.q & a MIA Fender Active Jazz Deluxe 5. On rare occassions I play a Fender precision 4.

:thu:

• Members

After having it for awhile, I have to say I like mine. It's not the sexiest shape - I've never really liked the body shape, but it's ok, not like it's a EB Bongo or whatever - but it's balanced, the pickups kick ass (duh) and I've always liked the narrower, j-style neck. As for the neck being thin, sure - maybe I'd like a thicker neck, but it's hardly an impediment to playing. My Ibanez RG550 has one of the thinnest guitar necks ever made, but in eight years I've never had to adjust it. I've moved back and forth from Long Island, NY to Los Angeles several times, including a year in Florida, since I've had that guitar, and it always came with me. Moving from a desert to the east coast in both flavors - sorta muggy with winters, ultra-muggy with no winter to speak of - would test the stability of any neck - and like I said, in 8 years, zero adjustments. If anyone knows how to make a stable-yet-thin neck, methinks Ibanez does.

I don't know - I'm a guitar player who plays bass (though anyone who's heard me play guitar might say it was the other way around - I've had more than a few bassists bitch about the low end I produce), so I'm a little less subjective than many would be about bass tone. I did a song demo the other day with this bass, and it played and sounded fine in the mix - I recorded it with the treble boosted just slightly, with the mix control set slightly towards the bridge, into a NanoCompressor, into the board. After I had the take down, I eq'd it in Kristal, 'frowny face' style, and it sits well with my guitar. Doesn't stand out during the palm muted sections where the guitar and bass are locked in, but sounds good and is solid with minimal effort. I'm going to spring for some new strings soon, and get a regular set of allen keys so I can adjust the neck to my taste. Does the job fine as-is, though. I'm going to experiment with my Tri-AC to try and give the bass a little more character, but I'm not going to need much. By the way, said song was in drop-C - standard strings proved more than enough, no floppiness to be reported. *Shrugs* guess that's why there are non-Fender basses out there...

Happily, my Peavey Renown 2x12 is proving to be a solid low-volume practice/tracking amp. If it had a bigger cab and wasn't open-back, I don't doubt that it could pull double-duty at medium volumes, but since it is open back I'm going to play it safe. (The stock speakers are Peavey Scorpions, used in everything from their guitar amps to PA and bass cabs, their version of an EV speaker).

For a buck-fifty, with EMGs and hardshell case, I'll take it. Would I buy it new? No, but I rarely buy any gear new, and if I was to drop ~$500 on a new bass, I'd skip the Soundgears and go for a MIK BTB four string - those basses kick ass :). Would be a monster in drop-G! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Don MC

I have absolutely NOTHING against Soundgear (see sig). Even the lowest range is good enough for me and a good bang for the buck.

My first Soundgear was an - at the time - top-of-the-line SR1000, back in 1989. I still use it as my main axe. Nice.

I think people's bashing of cheap instruments is some sort of snobism or elitism. Saying straight off that a cheap bass doesn't sound good is wrong. They don't sound bad. They're just different, that's all.

A REAL bass player knows how to make a broomstick sound sweet and the gear he or she happens to use isn't all that important. Any bass will do.

I own many cheap basses and they are all very good instruments. You just need to know how to set them up and how to play them correctly. I know I do.

All of you cheap-bass haters: You're AMATEURS!
:D

-DMC-

A-Freakin-Men! I totally agree with you! A REAL bass player doesn't depend on the quality of instrument to make it sound great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The SR 905 was the nicest bass in my local music shop a few years ago. It seemed nice at first, but being my first bass i had no clue.

As time went on i grew to like it less and less. Now i look back at it and it was a toy compaired to real basses in the same class

A lakeland for instance for $650 is head and toes above the $600 SR 905 on every front.

conclusion, ibanze sucks.

i've come to that conclusion more then once...

Archived