What have you guys got against Soundgear basses?

mabus013

• Members

I've recorded with more than one engineer who prefers the sound of my SR496 over the more expensive stuff I've owned (from Stingrays to Warwicks). Maybe they were nuts, but the finished product always sounded great. So, IMO, if they help me land more sessions they are pretty good basses.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by illidian

Mine is probably the second best bass I've ever played. First would be a Lakland Skyline (only Lakland I've ever played).

I've found MIA Jazzes that come close. I'm a Jazz guy, but this P/J does it all for me. I've found Schecters that come close to the playability. I've found some good Fenders (Marcus Miller Jazz, the best MIM I've ever had a chance to play [better than nearly every MIA in the shop], Geddy Lees [several], The Jazz 24, some very solid P's, etc.). At best, they come close to my Ibanez bass. In playability, everything comes short except a good Jazz neck (and that's only equal, not better than). I've played some other basses of course, but these came the closest. I also played a G&L L2000 Tribute but didn't plug it in (doh!) that did better than most MIA P's.

I love it's playability. It nearly plays itself sometimes. Several other people have said the same thing.

The sound is good. It's definately its own beast, different sounding than Fenders. But not so much. It's got some kind of mojo that's just hard to describe. It's like a Fender, plus some extra. Maybe this is what the vintage Fenders are like? I don't know though, I've been thinking about getting new wiring and pots but don't feel it's necessary. I'm just afraid of what it might do to my tone.

Oh, and mine's just a GSR200. The shop owner said it was one of the best basses he's ever had in his shop. It was definately a gem in the rough.

The Marcus Miller Bass is MIJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So I got bored and popped the neck off of my Soundgear a few days ago, and it's an SR-800LE. No mid control, which means it's an early 90's bass and likely MIJ.

I finally got a set of individual allen keys (couldn't adjust the neck with a folding set) and adjusted the neck and bridge. I usually like a higher action than most people, but this was a bit much set up like I recieved it. It probably wasn't bad when it was in standard tuning, but I detune to D and sometimes drop C, and I was getting some buzzing.

Now that it's set up, it plays and sounds really nice and the sound has improved now that the strings aren't a mile away from the pickups. It's still not my favorite bass when it comes to looks - if I were buying a new Ibanez, it'd be a BTB, which has a great look to it - but it's perfect for my needs and for 150 bucks I have absolutely no complaints.

One thing I did notice when the neck was off, however: the model number is stamped on the bare wood of the neck, which is then covered with a peice of tape until the base color has been applied, then is removed and cleared over. I noticed quite a bit of birdseye in that little strip: I wonder if I should strip the paint off of the back of the neck and tung-oil it - that'd be nice! :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by gbassman100

. I think they are great basses for the money, especially used. I'm in the minority around here but don't feel bad about loving a Soundgear.

You could get into a lot of trouble around here for uttering heresy like that.:D

I've played them before, not bad. If it does the job, why not?

• Members
Originally posted by kenlacam

A-Freakin-Men! I totally agree with you! A REAL bass player doesn't depend on the quality of instrument to make it sound great!

+87!

(Well, I think everybody knows my feelings on this one....;) )

But, what ken sez is what the ethos of the punk era was - one which has sadly been forgot. Now it's all just jumping on somebody else's train of fashion.

"punks" nowadays are just as into being instrument-fashionista/gearheads as the pomp-rockers were....:rolleyes:

Archived