What have you guys got against Soundgear basses?

mabus013

• Members

Not for nothing...I just haven't yet seen anyone recommend one, and I've been reading a lot of 'recommend me a bass for under $XXX' threads here.

I just picked up a mid-range Soundgear (missing its model code, but it's got a metallic/pearl paint, painted neck, matching headstock, heavyweight bridge adjustable for height, string spacing and intonation, P/J setup with volume, blend, and bass and treble boost/cut pots) and it's a great bass. I used to stay away from them - they were popular with a lot of nu-metal bandwagon jumpers - but I saw this one up at a local pawn shop for 150 bucks. Took it town, played it a bit...felt good. Took a look at the pickups...EMGs :D. 150 bucks with factory case. Sold.

Got it home this morning, tried it straight and with compression after boiling the strings and detuning to D, and it has a wide range of solid tones. Huge thump from the P pickup, nice growl from the J, as to be expected. Factory straplocks. Good balance. Now I can make my demos that much more complete...it's been awhile since I've had a bass. This one should serve me well.

Just saying...anyone out there like these basses? I see some Cort fans and other oddballs out there, so I'm sure these basses have to have some fans too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The low end ones are cheap. I don't care for them. I've played several of the SR400s and similar, and I just do not like them either in feel or in tone.

When you get up to the high end ones, like the 700-900, they start getting REALLY nice.

FWIW, the SR900 is, I believe, made by Cort and is exactly the same as Cort's Artisan A4, minus one difference in the neck-thru wood laminate. And the A4 is an awesome bass!

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

The low end ones are cheap. I don't care for them. I've played several of the SR400s and similar, and I just do not like them either in feel or in tone.

When you get up to the high end ones, like the 700-900, they start getting REALLY nice.

My sentiments exactly. Low end is crap. Mid level can be nice but just not enough bang for the buck.

• Members

I'm not sure how high end this one is, but I was in a shop today that carries newer soundgears and they're all a lot cheaper than the bass I bought in terms of quality. They had the flimsy kind of standard Fender-style bridges, cheap pickups, and the body style was very different - the ones the shop had were very rounded-slab style, whereas mine is more sculpted. Feel is utterly different, too.

Another thing, now that I'm researching this a bit, is that this seems like an earlier model - there's a regular recessed-style jack instead of the strat-ish type the later models had, and later models had three-band eq, while mine has two. Body wood could be basswood or soft maple.

• Members

Mine is probably the second best bass I've ever played. First would be a Lakland Skyline (only Lakland I've ever played).

I've found MIA Jazzes that come close. I'm a Jazz guy, but this P/J does it all for me. I've found Schecters that come close to the playability. I've found some good Fenders (Marcus Miller Jazz, the best MIM I've ever had a chance to play [better than nearly every MIA in the shop], Geddy Lees [several], The Jazz 24, some very solid P's, etc.). At best, they come close to my Ibanez bass. In playability, everything comes short except a good Jazz neck (and that's only equal, not better than). I've played some other basses of course, but these came the closest. I also played a G&L L2000 Tribute but didn't plug it in (doh!) that did better than most MIA P's.

I love it's playability. It nearly plays itself sometimes. Several other people have said the same thing.

The sound is good. It's definately its own beast, different sounding than Fenders. But not so much. It's got some kind of mojo that's just hard to describe. It's like a Fender, plus some extra. Maybe this is what the vintage Fenders are like? I don't know though, I've been thinking about getting new wiring and pots but don't feel it's necessary. I'm just afraid of what it might do to my tone.

Oh, and mine's just a GSR200. The shop owner said it was one of the best basses he's ever had in his shop. It was definately a gem in the rough.

• Members

The SR300's and 400's I've played had fast necks, quiet electronics, plenty of low end and plenty of nice tones. I don't own any but I've heard some bands with admirable bass tone, from lower tier Soundgears. I think they are great basses for the money, especially used. I'm in the minority around here but don't feel bad about loving a Soundgear.

• Members

I had a neck through SR 1200 at one time

It looked great in a natural clear finish & gold hardware.

The neck was very thin and the action was terrific .

Playing at the store and at home it sounded just fine but in a band situation it just didn't seem to have a good sound.

I tried different settings on the bass and amp and even different strings but it just always sounded "thin". Couldn't get it to really cut through the mix.

I ended up trading it in on the MIM jazz V.

• Members

i've owned a couple soundgears (SR800 and SRX700) and both were very good basses. IMO, some of the best bang-for-buck basses out there. i got a hell of a deal on the SR800 ($100 from eBay) and bought the SRX new. i would recommend either model to anyone asking for my opinion of basses in that price range...

but what the hell do i know?

• Members

I love my SR900 with the active bart's in it but it does lack a little bottom end compared to some. However it definitely makes up for that in the mid range. Tonally it actually sounds alot more alive than my B2005 but thats just EMG's for you. I'd reccomend it to anyone looking for a very well balanced bass with a fast neck. If you want to here the SR905 in action check out some tracks from "all that remains" it sounds very nice in the mix.

• Members

The Prestige models are great.

My six string (not Prestige) is wonderful, I love it.

The only other bass I've played that is more comfortable and feels even better for me is the new Yamaha John Myung signiature model.

Other than that, nothing I've tried has come close.

Guess I'm a Soundgear kinda guy :D

• Members

I've never played an Ibanez over $800, but I played a lot of them under that range.

My personal feelings on them are thus: the cheap ones are really crappy sounding, but play decently. But even when you get into the higher end stuff, even though they are nicer, there's still MUCH better stuff available for the price. I also thought their necks were way too thin.

But that's just me and my preference. If you like them, like the way they play and the way they sound, then that's all that matters. :thu:

• Members

well i love my sr700. all mahogany and made in japan. prolly one of the last few non prestige models to be made in japan. oddly i feel that this bass weighs about the same as the average, p jazz or musicman bass.

i like the neck on mine but i have to agree it feels a bit too thin playing around the first to third fret. playing in the higher areas of the neck is a breeze. but that being said, i feel comfortable playing any 4 string neck be it warwick baseball bat necks to the ibby toothpicks. i find the 5 string soundgear necks to be a bit cramped.

the latest ibby basses i've tested have not been so good. i tested the new made in korea ones with the bart designed pickups and the thing had no low end to speak of. even with the lows put to maximum and the treble rolled all the way down it still felt too mid/trebly. and yeah the bass weighed like feather.

overall i like the old ones. but the latest models have been a letdown.

• Members

Originally posted by illidian

Mine is probably the second best bass I've ever played. First would be a Lakland Skyline (only Lakland I've ever played).

I've found MIA Jazzes that come close. I'm a Jazz guy, but this P/J does it all for me. I've found Schecters that come close to the playability. I've found some good Fenders (Marcus Miller Jazz, the best MIM I've ever had a chance to play [better than nearly every MIA in the shop], Geddy Lees [several], The Jazz 24, some very solid P's, etc.). At best, they come close to my Ibanez bass. In playability, everything comes short except a good Jazz neck (and that's only equal, not better than). I've played some other basses of course, but these came the closest. I also played a G&L L2000 Tribute but didn't plug it in (doh!) that did better than most MIA P's.

I love it's playability. It nearly plays itself sometimes. Several other people have said the same thing.

The sound is good. It's definately its own beast, different sounding than Fenders. But not so much. It's got some kind of mojo that's just hard to describe. It's like a Fender, plus some extra. Maybe this is what the vintage Fenders are like? I don't know though, I've been thinking about getting new wiring and pots but don't feel it's necessary. I'm just afraid of what it might do to my tone.

Oh, and mine's just a GSR200. The shop owner said it was one of the best basses he's ever had in his shop. It was definately a gem in the rough.

I have a GSR-200 and while its a good little bass, I have too say it doesn't have the same solid thick tone, or playability as my MIM Fender Jazz.

Bass guitars are just like ice cream flavors, there are just different ones out there for different taste.

Archived