The absolute best sounding bass distortion pedal?

6AM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to use one of those cheesy Sound Tank pedals from Ibanez from the late 80's or early 90's, when I occasionally wanted to experiment with distortion. It sounded pretty good to me, although the damned thing sort of broke on me, where I had to beat it to go on or off. It cost only $42 at the time, so not much investment there. The Boss Metal Zone was good too, and Boss never breaks. It also depends what kind of distortion you like. I was into really nasty, industrial, metallic insects drowning in a wall of oatmeal sort of sound, which may or may not be what you are looking for. The best thing to do is try out a bunch of pedals and see which one you like the best.

• Members

I know you say you're not looking for fuzz, but when I hear 'High Gain' I automatically go to Big Muff. No rig has ever sounded better than a big muff into an SVT. Hands down, no questions asked. I've heard amps peel paint off the walls with a big muff.

I'm not familiar with Frantone or Full Tone.

What do you want?

Searing leads or big chunky bottom? Because they're mutually exclusive. Big chunky bottom requires lower gain/crunch. Searning leads, well, monster gain and more highs.

I use an old Digitech 1550, it's a two channel distortion device. A is searing metal lead thing with a subtle short delay. B is more chunky OD that you can really get to growl.

I don't particulary like the Phathed or the wooly mammoth to 'glitchy' sounding.

The Ampeg Scrambler is a heap of fun. Complete destruction.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I find this interesting topic but I see that all of these helpful tips are quite old. I have the same question now, so I want to re-open the debate. Do you have some favorite distortion pedal for bass from newer stuff? Or do you rather recommend the older stuff which is mentioned above?

• Members

I have no experience with any of these pedals, but the cool kids recommend:

Fairfield Barbershop

MXR Bass distortion

Any of the various bass overdrives from DarkGlass.

and in the 'overdrivable preamp' category you have stuff like:

The SansAmp VT Bass.

Two Notes LeBass preamp.

Verellen Meatsmoke

TONS of choices out there, we are living in a GOLDEN AGE of effect pedals, lots of builders and lots of interesting and unique pedals, and plenty of them made for bass guitar too.

Archived