OT: Is it still wrong to wish someone a Merry Christmas?

RoboChrist

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by RoboChrist

That should be on a Hallmark card.

:D

Heh, good idea. The point is, I'm not Jewish but if some stranger on the street wished me a happy Hanukkah I wouldn't be offended or feel any desire to make an issue out of it. Any right thinking person would understand their intentions were good and that they wished them well and would reply with an appreciative thank you. But some people spend a good deal of their lives just looking for things to be offended about and I think we should all be dedicated to helping these people reach their goal by actively offending them at every opportunity.

• Members

If you take offense to me saying Merry Christmas then you sure as hell better be working Christmas morning at a Gas Station, Drug Store or a Blockbuster.

Christmas rules period. If you celebrate the birth of Christ or if you just celebrate some fat guy breaking into your house and leaving you stuff.

• Members

more often than not the holidays in question do not fall on the same dates. if people would stop wishing other people merry christmas for 3 months before the actual holiday, then other people would not be offended. my solution wish people happy *chanukah on 12/16-12/23, merry christmas on 12/24-25, and happy kwanzaa from 12/26-1/1. also forgive me for any other overly commercialized holidays that i may have missed you bastages:mad:

*dates are only for this year on chanucak

/rant:freak:

• Members

I'm a Deist, but I take my good wishes from wherever religion I can get them from. I need them all.

I say merry xmas or happy kwanzaa or any other thing ht gives them comfort. It is not important for me to approve of their choices, only that they respect mine.

less time spent on religion and more time spent simply helping your fellow person is time well spent. If religion is the catalyst, that ok, if not, thats ok too. the key thing is: are you helping or harming?

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

No, it isn't wrong. I don't worry about it. If I wish somebody a Merry Christmas and they take offence, I simply reply...then {censored} you asshole, have a miserable Christmas!

They probably won't have one at all, though they may enjoy having December 25th off from work (or not).

• Members
Originally posted by Billystrat

If you take offense to me saying Merry Christmas then you sure as hell better be working Christmas morning at a Gas Station, Drug Store or a Blockbuster.

Christmas rules period. If you celebrate the birth of Christ or if you just celebrate some fat guy breaking into your house and leaving you stuff.

Uhhhh... Duh.... The point is that the fat guy doesn't break into their house and leave them stuff. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Duart

Well, it IS Christmas day, right?? And I would love for that person whom I address it to, to have a Merry day! Right? Just like, "Have a Great Fourth of July", or "Happy Groundhogs Day", or "Happy Valentines Day"...........right????

Merry Christmas, Johnny.

No, it's only Christmas day for Christians (and others who happen to celebrate it). For everyone else, it's just December 25th, regardless of what you may want to call it. How can you not understand that?

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

No, it's only Christmas day for Christians (and others who happen to celebrate it). For everyone else, it's just December 25th, regardless of what
you
may want to call it. How can you not understand that?

Once again, the secular National holiday (the nature of which has been affirmed by Supreme Court Decision) is called Christmas Day. So, once again, if you're in the United States, that day is "Christmas Day, the secular national holiday", no matter what you think of "Christmas, the Christian Holiday" (Especially since for millions, Christmas is actually January 7th)...

I wish people a happy Bloomsday every June 16th, even though most of them are unwashed barbarians who have no idea what I'm talking about...The 5th of November is Guy Fawkes day, whether I burn a guy or not, etc...

One does not need to subscribe to the belief in order to appreciate the sentiment, and not believing in something doesn't make it meaningless, i.e., one is not correct in saying "bull{censored} it's Yom Kippur! It's {censored}ing October 1st! (at least this year)...

• Members

No, it's only Christmas day for Christians (and others who happen to celebrate it). For everyone else, it's just December 25th, regardless of what
you
may want to call it. How can you not understand that?

My calendar says "Christmas Day".

My calendar has no religious beliefs, as it is inanimate paper and plastic.

How can you not understand that?

• Members

It never was "wrong", but don't be surprised if someone responds with something like "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Joyous Ramadan" or "Don't push your religious superstitions on me".

If you know the person you're saying it to observes Christmas, no problem, but saying it to a complete stranger without knowing their religious beliefs is rather presumptuous.

+1

Winner of Thumper's 'Most Reasonable Post of the Day Award'

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

Once again, the secular National holiday (the nature of which has been affirmed by Supreme Court Decision) is called Christmas Day. So, once again, if you're in the United States, that day is "Christmas Day, the secular national holiday", no matter what you think of "Christmas, the Christian Holiday" (Especially since for millions, Christmas is actually January 7th)...

I wish people a happy Bloomsday every June 16th, even though most of them are unwashed barbarians who have no idea what I'm talking about...The 5th of November is Guy Fawkes day, whether I burn a guy or not, etc...

One does not need to subscribe to the belief in order to appreciate the sentiment, and not believing in something doesn't make it meaningless, i.e., one is not correct in saying "bull{censored} it's Yom Kippur! It's {censored}ing October 1st! (at least this year)...

Sure, but pushing it as a special day on people who don't believe it is isn't really a nice thing to do either. There are an awful lot of posters here who are, in my opinion, being very narrow- and close-minded about it. Should people be offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to them? No, but people who insist on pushing it on others aren't being very decent, either. I was in a local bar a few years ago, and some right wing windbag who'd just been listening to Rush or O'Reilly was making a total ass of himself getting in people's faces and yelling "IT'S {censored}ING CHRISTMAS" and demanding that they admit it, whether they wanted to or not. That sort of behavior isn't right either.

• CMS Author

Sure, but pushing it as a special day on people who don't believe it is isn't really a nice thing to do either. There are an awful lot of posters here who are, in my opinion, being very narrow- and close-minded about it. Should people be offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to them? No, but people who insist on pushing it on others aren't being very decent, either. I was in a local bar a few years ago, and some right wing windbag who'd just been listening to Rush or O'Reilly was making a total ass of himself getting in people's faces and yelling "IT'S {censored}ING CHRISTMAS" and demanding that they admit it, whether they wanted to or not. That sort of behavior isn't right either.

Nobody is 'pushing' a day on anyone. "Merry Christmas" is just a greeting. Failure to be offended doesn't obligate the recipient to convert his/her religion.

Were you surprised to find someone acting unreasonable in a bar around the holidays???:D

• Members
Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

I take great care to avoid causing offense to anyone's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, so these days I always wish everyone a Merry 'season in which you have a statistically much higher than average probability of being killed by a drunk driver'

Well, Merry {censored}ing Christmas to you, too! :mad::D

• Members

Well... christmas has become a holiday of dual meaning anyway.... but even besides that... if your christian say merry christmas... if your muslim say happy ramadon.... ect ect.... that's exactly what is suppose to be great about this country... you can say things and not get put on the chop block.

Archived