OT: Is it still wrong to wish someone a Merry Christmas?

RoboChrist

• Members

I would take any greeting, whatever the religion, as a friendly remark to me, if I don't celebrate Ramadan or whatever myself, but they do, it's nice of them to think about me and be kinda enough to say 'happy ramadan' to me and spread some of their atttude and cheer

Christmas isn't really the same though, in that shops and the media force it upon you continually for over a month leading up, so people who don't personally celebrate it getting annoyed with it being everywhere is quite understandable (it annoys me too, and I like christmas...) - the fact is Britain/USA are mainly christian nations, and the christian holidays have been incorporated into the calendar. If I was in a predominantly muslim country I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be celebrating christmas, but instead having their own religious holidays promoted instead, it wouldn't offend me, more a fact of me living in a different culture.

The problem comes that diversification of people moving into Britain means there are a lot more different beliefs floating about, so the anti christmas brigade are becmoing more prominant, and the pc brigade are demanding we all drop whatever we believe of ourselves to make way for the new people - which I agree with mainly, but we are still a predominatly christian society and as such christianity has been incorporated into our lives in general.

Kinda fence sitting here, in that I fully accept people believe different things and they deserve to follow whatever religious calendar they want, but also that christmas has a parallel non christian side to it too (the festive cheer if you will) and is part of our lives and culture here, and people really do need to accept the culture of wherever they choose to live in addition to their own beliefs.

Being British I think thanksgiving is a bit silly, but I accept you yanks like to celebrate it ;)

David

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by RoboChrist

A little early I know but... is it still bad to wish someone a Merry Christmas these days? I just want to make sure I'm not commiting any hate crimes while I start to enjoy the holiday season with friends and family...

:(

stick to salaam alekum, shalom, and peace

they all add up to merry christmas and are politically correct:D

• Members

Originally posted by mrcrow

stick to salaam alekum, shalom, and peace

they all add up to merry christmas and are politically correct:D

Not in the US. Wishing people peace can get you labeled (or libeled) as an America-hating liberal monstrosity.

http://origin.denverpost.com/lacrosse/ci_4731414

(since resolved, but just shows how ridiculous people can get.)

Archived